Recipe's ?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Re: Recipe's ?

Post by debbluebird »

:D

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Here's a delicious and versatile dessert recipe.

Combine:
8 oz softened cream cheese (you can use fat free or regular it doesn't affect the taste or texture)
Container of cool whip, thawed (fat free or regular)
Tub of marshmallow cream

Whip until the cream cheese is no longer lumpy.
If you stop here, you have a fruit dip.

Otherwise ;
Add 1 cup fresh or canned drained pineapple chunks, 1 chopped apple (I prefer pink lady or pacific rose)
and 1 pound seedless grapes.

If you like nuts, add 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

You can make this with any fruit. Most people just use grapes.

rthom

Post by rthom »

debbluebird wrote:Here is the "Gringo" version of Chicken Enchiladas:
Chicken about 5 breasts, no bones
Onion 1/2 to 1
Broth 1/2 cup
2 small chopped green chili
2 cans mushroom soup
1 can chicken soup
1 or 2 Package Corn tortillas
Cheddar Cheese
Amounts, just depend on how much you need to fill up the pan. I just guess.

Boil and cut up Chicken breasts
Saute Onion
Fry tortillas in oil. Just a few minutes, not hard. Drain on paper towel. I usually put a towel inbetween each one.
Shred Cheese, or buy bag already shredded
13 x 9 pan
I tear up tortillas, four or five pieces, or leave whole. Just layer and alternate tortillas, chicken, onion, cheese, soups. You can have it sort of mixed up, or just the layers.
Cheese on top as last layer.
Oven 350 degrees until cheese melts and whole thing bubbles. Maybe 30 min. Check it

Now Mexican version:
Chicken - green chili Enchiladas
Cook chicken, boil, cut up
Put in blender can tomatoes, or fresh, cans of green chili, or fresh. This is the main sauce.
Mix this sauce with sour cream and salt.
Fry tortillas, drain.
Dip tortillas in sauce/sour cream one at a time, put in cooked chicken and roll up with a little cheese and onion
Put in 13 x 9 pan in a row.
Layer in pan, tortillas, sauce and sour cream, stacked two times
Shredded cheese on top
Some people put foil, back, or leave foil off.
350 degrees, cheese melts and bubbles. If you think cheese will possible over cook, then put foil
Sorry amounts aren't too clear, you just have to play it by ear, and to taste.

Rice to go with Enchiladas

1 Cup rice
chicken bouillon about 1 teasp
onion about 1/2
can tomatoes, chopped
salt pepper

So I tried this recipe for diner tonight--finally remembered to buy the tortillias--anyway had to make a few changes though. Always find something missing after I start. Anyway I ended up with turkey breast from freezer pre-cooked, guy fietti's green salsa, tomatoes, onion, cooked together and put on a wheat tortillia. (notice I said "a" wheat tortillia-lol) Bet you can't guess where this story is going--lol. :? So then I took the left over salad and put it on (like a taco) and added the home made yougart on top, (It turned out runny this time and I'm trying to use it up, not throw it out) rolled it up and thought I as pretty smart. Suffice to say I don't suggest anyone else try that combination. It was aweful,---note to self: If I do not have the ingredients, GO TO THE STORE!. lololl :lol:

rthom

Post by rthom »

New Recipe:

Take 1 lb (1/2 if watching weight), fry till crisp. Drain fat off, put bacon back in frypan. Add 1 romaine leatuce leaf (the smaller the leaf the better) to the top of the bacon-----Enjoy!

LOL--Now that's a Salad!!! LOL

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

For a healthy and speedy fat free lunch I usually boil enough pasta of choice to cover two days.

For the basic - Chop up peppers, scallions, tomatoes, maybe some pineapple or fruit that needs using up ( don't fancy banana in this) and put in a bowl with some cooked pasta and also maybe sweet corn, and any other suitable left over cooked vegetables.

Then to make it suit my taste on any particular day, I will add either cooked ham/chicken/tuna.
And accordingly add either sweet chilli dressing, honey and mustard dressing, Philadelphia low fat cheese or dressing of choice.
And also accordingly have it hot or cold. If using the Philadelphia it really needs a few minutes heated in the microwave to make the cheese loose enough to toss over the pasta. The others work well hot or cold.

I never tire of this.
And on the Slimming World Plan this is all free food.... excepting the dressing.
If you use low fat dressing or Philadelphia you aren't doing too much harm. :D
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Sounds good !

rthom

Post by rthom »

My wife eats a cold pasta salad every day for lunch. She takes out frozen mixed vegi's (the nice ones) a couple of hours before lunch and lets them thaw slowly, then mixes them with her pre-cooked pasta and adds 1/2 can of tuna or ham or whatever--then puts thousand island dressing on it.
Thats it and she feels good eating it (sugar wise--she has hypoglycemia). She has eaten it for 6-7 yrs and it helps her feel full without the hard calorie thing.
The problem is though that's how she got the mercury poisening. Be very careful what you use---maybe real meat instead?
Anyway it's a great filling lunch for calorie conscious folks. Easy to make too.
Sounds almost the same as PB's version doesn't it?

For a snack she puts plain yougart (1%) in a small bowl and adds a teaspoon or so of our homemade freezer jam (she likes the blueberry best). Makes a great sweet or desert etc.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sounds just like my pasta lunches - though I have to say that I'd give thousand island dressing a miss, my hubby loves it .... but not me.

Another healthy lunch is a mix of chopped up fruits tossed in a carton of fat free yoghurt and sprinkled with a just a little Special K or the like to give a little crunch.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

we do the same thing with the yougart but use granola instead. I ate that every day for years when I worked on a construction crew--it lasted longer, without me feeling like I was starving to death an hour later.

rthom

Post by rthom »

This recipe is great for diabetics, people with gluten allergies or people just trying to cut out carbs.

OMG, I have GOT to try these!!!
Instead of bread - make oppsie bread instead YUMMMMM

Will you have a hard time living without bread? Ooopsies are a good option. It’s a “bread” without carbs and can be eaten in a variety of ways.

Oopsies
6–8 depending on size.

3 eggs
100 grams (3.5 ounces) of cream cheese
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder or cream of tarter (can be excluded)

Separate the eggs, with the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another.
Whip the egg whites together with the salt until very stiff. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.

Mix the egg yolks and the cream cheese well. If you choose, 1tsp of cream of tarter or baking powder (this makes the Oopsie more bread-like).

Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix – try to keep the air in the egg whites.

Put 6 large or 8 smaller oopsies on a baking tray.
Bake in the middle of the oven at 150° C (300° F) for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.

You can eat Oopsies as bread or use them as a bun for a hotdog or hamburger. You can also put different kinds of seeds on them before baking them, for instance poppy, sesame or sunflower seeds.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I've never ever had one of these--need to make them I guess---lol

Funnel Cakes

1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour or coconut flour to make gluten free
2 Tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
Oil for frying, enough to cover the bottom of the skillet
Powdered sugar for topping

Mix egg and milk. Sift dry ingredients and gradually add to milk mixture, beat until smooth.

Preheat oil in fry pan to 375 degrees F.

Pour batter into hot oil with a funnel with a ½ “ or ¾” hole. Let batter drizzle into hot oil. Spiraling to create a circle.

Cook about 1 minute, flip over, cooking both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with fruit preserves while still warm.