swimming

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
peanut1

swimming

Post by peanut1 »

My sleep has been sh** lately, since my mother died (which all makes sense) and 99 percent of the meds make me sick. I went swimming (only 5 laps) one night and slept through the night like a baby without even taking my usual calcium and iron which is usually a recepie for disaster! Swimming makes me feel like my body took a tranquilizer. Unfortuantely, I tend to be allergic to chlorine so I can only go now and then.

badnights

Re: swimming

Post by badnights »

They say exercise is good, but not in the evenings. I exercise in the evenings with little negative effect. I wonder if the swimming is good because it releases endorphins without any bodily stress, the banging the body takes in land-based exercise
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:They say exercise is good, but not in the evenings. I exercise in the evenings with little negative effect. I wonder if the swimming is good because it releases endorphins without any bodily stress, the banging the body takes in land-based exercise

Interesting idea.

I know I used to swim a mile, 3-5 days a week. Always in the late afternoon or evening (up to about 8 PM). I never noticed it hurting. This was before I had severe symptoms, though.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

peanut1 wrote:Unfortuantely, I tend to be allergic to chlorine so I can only go now and then.

A lot of pools are moving to salt-water chlorination, which could make it possible for you to swim regularly because they don't have the chloramines that irritate your skin and give that "chlorine smell".

Also, some places have been able to reduce their chlorine usage through the use of UV sanitation.

It might be worth calling around to see what type of sanitation system your local pools use and if they are different than the traditional full-chlorine method.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

What an interesting development. I can still recall vividly how horrid it is on the eyes when they put too much chlorine in, even though I haven't swum in a pool in years.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just with regard to the chlorine :)
My GP practice is situated in a Well Being Centre which also has a swimming pool, physio, dentist etc. The pool is well out of sight.
Yesterday my granddaughter was with me as I visited to pick up a prescription and she says to me.... Granny I can smell a swimming pool.
Which says it all about the chlorine.
So many folks must be affected, dermatitis, exzema etc.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

badnights wrote:What an interesting development. I can still recall vividly how horrid it is on the eyes when they put too much chlorine in, even though I haven't swum in a pool in years.

Apparently the chlorine reacts with human sweat and urine, etc., and forms chloramines, which are the things that give off that chlorine smell, burn your eyes, and fade your swimsuits. The saltwater chlorine generator filters out the chloramines as a part of the sanitation process, so there is no need to ever "shock" the pool.

If I had a pool, I would definitely think about switching to saltwater. The generators are pricey ($2K to $5K) but you break even in about 2-5 years, depending on where you live (areas with higher UV ratings use more chlorine). The only caveat is that the saltwater will corrode any metal on your pool and the salt will get into rocks/stones and break them apart, so you have to research how the saltwater might affect whatever your pool is made of. But if you have a regular concrete pool without decorative stone fountains or whatever, it sounds like it is a wonderful way to go!
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.