What did I do?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
badnights

What did I do?

Post by badnights »

Did I do something, or is this surge of sensory abnormalities inexplicable? I had either food poisoning or a bug earlier today, and I still feel washed out and not good in the guts. That started around 2:00. Perhaps it's related? Around 4:30, the electric eels started to slither up and down my legs and arms. Monstrous forces grew and grew in the centers of my joints, spewing their poison across my flesh from the inside. It won't stop. It goes on and on and on, despite my medication, an impending explosion forever on the edge of exploding. A scream, living in my bones and flesh. What did I do?

I took my meds. I took iron last night. I have been taking D. I have not drunk alcohol. I didn't --- oh, I did have a coffee at 1 PM. But I usually have two coffee between 9 AM and noon, without these effects. I have not had anti-histamines or other meds that worsen WED. I have not eaten anything unusual - although I had brunch at a friend's house and yes, actually, I had a ginger tea made by boiling real ginger. But would ginger do this? Also I had the equivalent of two cups of tea, which I don't usually drink. Would that do it? I might be within two weeks of my period? It's always bad then, so maybe that's it? But so suddenly!

So utterly inexorably! It just won't let up! It's not frantic, just constant, unchanging, mean. Standing is not good enough. I have just exceeded my dose of hydromorph contin by 3 mg, but I'm not sure if another 3 mg will have any effect, since the last 6 mg did doo-squat. When I go to bed (so that I might avoid possible rebound while I'm still in bed), I will take an evil pramipexole 0.25 which may or may not have an effect, and a levo-carb, for fast action; but only if the sensory abnormalities have dulled considerably by then.

oh gee I hate this
95%? haha
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Re: What did I do?

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is one of the worst feelings - to have no idea, to have it consume you and take over.....

I know you've been taking some DAs now and then - take any recently? For some reason, I'm finding myself to be MORE sensitive to rotigitine than to pramipexole! I used a half dose of it for two days, with a half dose of methadone. Day 3? Not nearly as bad as you, but very similar. Meds didn't work, it was explosive, it really blew, as my sister would say.

Ginger? I did a quick search - it's known to interact with over 70 medications....I didn't look them up. That seems a lot of meds to me. Well, the site gave me the list: http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/ ... eric_only=

I just looked at it quickly - some opioids are on there, but it seems so because they contain aspirin - there are problems with anything containing aspirin - but I don't know what problems.

I hope by the time you read this, it's better. I'm up banging my legs around because I still have some residual increased symptoms from the rotigigine (which I took 3 or 4 days ago). So, my normal dosage isn't quite cutting it. But, I slept some last night by doing leg exercises in bed. Hope to try soon and see if the same works tonight. And that is so much better that what you're going through - I feel guilty even posting about it here.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I would think that an extra dose of Pramipexol will help, not your usual dose I guess.

I fully agree it is the worst when you don't know what agravated your RLS: it is so frightening I just can't tell. I don't know whether food poisoning can make it worse thoug. I hope that by now everything is OK as it can be, but I feel your pain.
Dr B would likely say: 'anything is possible'.

Hope you feel better by now. When it is right again you probably need a day or two to get your confidence back.

Corrie

badnights

Post by badnights »

It is vaguely better but I can feel it lurking. I don't usually take pramipexole, and I ended up not taking any last night, because I wondered if I was using too much dopamine meds. But I checked and really I have not... I try not to take levo-carb two days in a row, and only one pill in a day, because it's only for emergencies when I really need to sleep; but I did take it three days out of four before the bad stuff yesterday began (one of those was just a half pill). I don't know how much it would take to make me augment again. And I have taken it twice since then - once last night and once this morning (I really needed to sleep :( ) it's hard to evaluate the trade-offs when you're desperate. Now I think I have to avoid it, just in case I'm augmenting, but I suspect its the flu-thing that s making it all worse somehow... perhaps instigated by the ginger..I will look into htat. Right now I am going to lie down and hope I get a nap and not just torture.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:It is vaguely better but I can feel it lurking. I don't usually take pramipexole, and I ended up not taking any last night, because I wondered if I was using too much dopamine meds. But I checked and really I have not... I try not to take levo-carb two days in a row, and only one pill in a day, because it's only for emergencies when I really need to sleep; but I did take it three days out of four before the bad stuff yesterday began (one of those was just a half pill). I don't know how much it would take to make me augment again. And I have taken it twice since then - once last night and once this morning (I really needed to sleep :( ) it's hard to evaluate the trade-offs when you're desperate. Now I think I have to avoid it, just in case I'm augmenting, but I suspect its the flu-thing that s making it all worse somehow... perhaps instigated by the ginger..I will look into htat. Right now I am going to lie down and hope I get a nap and not just torture.

Mine has been lucking all day, too...not terrible, so I can't complain, but no respite from it, either, unless I'm gardening, cooking, cleaning, etc.

Hope either it goes away never to return...or you find the cause. As we've all said - this is the worst to just have it terrible and have NO idea why.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I am back to normal today :) :)
Mild, bearable. :lol: :)

Too much ginger can cause diarrhea, but it was really more like mild food poisoning. Whatever it was, it seems to me as if something about the gut sickness set the WED off... all I can think of.

Hope everyone else is calm and happy today, and if not today, then really soon

rthom

Post by rthom »

That makes sense to me because of what people that say gluten makes it worse goes through. Sounds like the same process with the guts, inner wall stuff.

badnights

Post by badnights »

That makes sense to me because of what people that say gluten makes it worse goes through. Sounds like the same process with the guts, inner wall stuff.
Hmmm. I thought the gluten-avoiding people had issues because it made the guts inflamed and therefore unable to absorb iron well... but I am missing something in that story for sure. Yes, it sounds very similar. The gut has lots of opioid receptors... I don't know why my mind keeps harping on that.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I ha it explained to me once and they said the receptors (or cilli like things in the L intestines--can't remember the name of them) lay down against the walls when gluten is present and this makes it much harder for the important nutrients, etc. to be absorbed as the surface area is much diminished. This makes sense to me with the diarrhea thing as the smooth surface and increase of fluid must be moving,?

badnights

Post by badnights »

[intestinal villi] lay down against the walls when gluten is present and this makes it much harder for the important nutrients, etc. to be absorbed as the surface area is much diminished.
That makes sense.

yochris

Post by yochris »

I had RLS at the same time as IBS. The fact that as my IBS was healed, the RLS was also cured leads me to believe that for me there was a connection.

What I learned, through a lady I met, was that my IBS was due to yeasts that had taken over in the gut. What happens often is that instead of the beneficial gut bacteria we end up with a gut full of yeasts that cause toxins every time one eats something sweet. They also burrow into the gut lining and cause Leaky Gut Syndrome. Then the body gets more and more toxic from the stuff seeping into the blood stream through the leaky gut.

I got a very cheap e- book online "Healing Irritable Bowel Syndrome using Natural Therapies" from a company called Self Healing Expressions (selfhealingexpressions.com) that explained how to go about treating the yeast problem and thank God it worked. My RLS is now complete history.

Yochris xxx

rthom

Post by rthom »

That's great news! And thanks for sharing that. Hopefully it will help lots of sufferers.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

yochris wrote:I had RLS at the same time as IBS. The fact that as my IBS was healed, the RLS was also cured leads me to believe that for me there was a connection.

What I learned, through a lady I met, was that my IBS was due to yeasts that had taken over in the gut. What happens often is that instead of the beneficial gut bacteria we end up with a gut full of yeasts that cause toxins every time one eats something sweet. They also burrow into the gut lining and cause Leaky Gut Syndrome. Then the body gets more and more toxic from the stuff seeping into the blood stream through the leaky gut.

I got a very cheap e- book online "Healing Irritable Bowel Syndrome using Natural Therapies" from a company called Self Healing Expressions (selfhealingexpressions.com) that explained how to go about treating the yeast problem and thank God it worked. My RLS is now complete history.

Yochris xxx

There was a study a few years ago that linked secondary RLS/WED to IBS. When the IBS was treated with antibiotics, the WED/RLS AND the IBS both went away.

Managing Your RLS