Having Hip Surgery

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Re: Having Hip Surgery

Post by debbluebird »

Thanks everyone. I've had a quiet day. I can now see improvement each day with my new hip. I haven't taken the Vicoden today. Frankly I forgot. I didn't have any WED/PLMD last night. Took the Vicoden every 4 hours and two 5 mg Methadone yesterday. I'll take my Methadone tonight. I'm just not having pain, so I don't think I will take the Vicoden.
I'm looking forward to getting the other hip done.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Very encouraging news.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

rthom wrote: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Ditto!

Is there a date set for the other hip surgery?

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

No date for second surgery. I see the doc Sept. 11, then again the middle of Oct. In Oct is when the date will be set. It will probably be about 6 weeks out from there. I lucked out with the first surgery, in that they had a cancellation. I also have to wait 3 months from the first surgery to complete the hip precautions. That takes us to the end of Nov., first of Dec.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I guess I should be writing on another thread now. I must have over done the exercise and walking today. All afternoon I was in pain and then the WED/PLM started. Took a pain pill and then around 4 took my Methadone early, and it stopped. Slept from 8:30 to 11:30, then it all started again. I know now that the extra Vicoden is what had stopped my WED/PLM this past week. I only have a Vicoden left. They only wrote for a weeks worth of every 4 hours. I stopped taking it around the clock when I came home. That way I will stretch it out. I'm going to stay up about an hour and then try to go back to bed.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:I guess I should be writing on another thread now. I must have over done the exercise and walking today. All afternoon I was in pain and then the WED/PLM started. Took a pain pill and then around 4 took my Methadone early, and it stopped. Slept from 8:30 to 11:30, then it all started again. I know now that the extra Vicoden is what had stopped my WED/PLM this past week. I only have a Vicoden left. They only wrote for a weeks worth of every 4 hours. I stopped taking it around the clock when I came home. That way I will stretch it out. I'm going to stay up about an hour and then try to go back to bed.

A doctor actually gave me vicodin for RLS once, I think it was a time when I had to stop pramipexole because of augmenting. I would think the methadone would work as well though. My doc sent me a script today for 20 mg of methadone a day which is good news since I am only taking 15 mg. I always hate the thought of not having a little for an emergency or something. Hopefully you will get in the groove with exercise so you are like goldielocks and the three bears and find the amount that is just right for gain with no pain (although I think no pain probably isn't going to happen but maybe the least pain will :) )

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I figured out that I can't wean down from the Vicoden. I don't have to take two of the morning doses, but have to keep it going the rest of the day and night. All of this along with the Methadone. If I increase the Methadone I itch. The main probable will be that I will run out of the Vicoden in a few days. So I've decided to start the Neupro patch next week when we can get to town. I just hope I don't have issues with that. We'll see.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:I figured out that I can't wean down from the Vicoden. I don't have to take two of the morning doses, but have to keep it going the rest of the day and night. All of this along with the Methadone. If I increase the Methadone I itch. The main probable will be that I will run out of the Vicoden in a few days. So I've decided to start the Neupro patch next week when we can get to town. I just hope I don't have issues with that. We'll see.

Maybe you could ask for more Vicodin if you are still having pain. Methadone makes me itch like crazy. The strange thing is that now that I have been taking the gabapentin the itching is less severe, just annoying. Sometimes my back itches exactly where I can't get to it but my wife has this old back scratcher made out of wood that looks like little fingers at the end of a 2 foot long handle that is really handy at times like that :lol: The Neupro may work for you, I hope it does.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Pain was less yesterday and WED/PLM seemed better too. I think it's just going to get better.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I've been doing very well with my new hip. Also my WED/PLM has settled down some. Ran out of the Vicoden, but also I was able to cut back with it before I ran out. Only taking Methadone 5 mg now. I had to increase the amount to 3 to 4 tabs before I ran out of the Vicoden. Not having the itching that I used to get with more than 2 tabs. I think I will be able to take less Methadone as my hip heals. I'm also sleeping pretty good. So all is well. I'm looking forward to having the other hip done.

rthom

Post by rthom »

That is such good news!

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

:clap: :thumbup:

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

debbluebird- well done.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yay!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.