Close Minded Doctor

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Close Minded Doctor

Post by debbluebird »

I had a total hip replacement Aug. 23. I went to rehab the next day. I was there until the following Sat. I was assigned a doctor there. I didn't like her at all and I'm sure she didn't like me. I take Methadone 5 mg tabs two to three in the evenings. While I was at the hospital and rehab I knew they would only give it to me once in the evening. On admission to the rehab I was explaining my Methadone and WED/PLM and opioids. She totally disagreed with me. I was also given Vicoden 10 mg every 4 hours as needed. I watched the clock and made sure I got that. By the third day the Doctor came in and accused me of bringing in my own drugs and taking them. I told her that I was not doing that. She told me that the previous day I was talking about taking a pill at 4:00. Of course I couldn't remember. I asked my husband later and he said I was asking him if the nurse had given me my 4:00 Vicoden. I had referred to it as just a pill. I remembered that after the fact.
It really made me mad, but I wasn't surprised. A couple of the nurses were also rude to me at times. I guess they all thought I was drug seeking and a drug addict. Luckily my right leg only acted up for three nights while I was in the hospital and rehab. I believe that the Vicoden did the trick in addition to the Methadone. I had decided to just take it as they gave it to me and not divide it.

ViewsAskew

Re: Close Minded Doctor

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's really horrible that doctors are like this. So sorry you had to go through that.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

How rude !! And how awful that we often feel intimidated by such a doctor. And feel frustrated because we think afterwards about what we ''could have said'''

I also am very sorry that you experienced this lack of professionalism. She should have been sure of her facts.
She may have been a doctor but she wasn't a 'lady'.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

And to not be able to remember, too! I hate when that happens! Or when I think of the perfect rebuttal after they've walked away....
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

tongue in cheek...

Post by badnights »

Deb, for the other hip, when it's time for that surgery, make two signs - one on paper or cardboard and the other in black ink on your stomach - saying "I take methadone for Willis-Ekbom disease. If you don't know what that is, please inform yourself. Do not presume I am a drug addict simply because you are not aware of other conditions being treated with methadone."
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Very good !

aveerik

Post by aveerik »

Methadone is used for pain control quite often, it is not always for heroine or opiate addicts. It lasts longer and can be better tolerated then many opiates. Anyone who takes methadone and has to have surgery or see another doctor need to do two things. First have prescribing doctors contact surgeon and explain why you are taking it. Although I still think if it used for addiction instead of abusing opiates doctors and nurses should be proud of these folks. The other big concern is if you are taking methadone it will make any opiate you take not work. That has to be known by all medical staff taking care of you because you will need a much higher dose of pain meds to work, or better yet just have them consider upping your methadone rx to take care of pain. There are some very reasonable doctors out there and if you can get surgeon on your side and tell them you will not tolerate bad treatment because Of a med you have been prescribed you are more likely to have nursing staff on your side.
I would definitely complain about this doctor to the hospital and find a new doctor. Just the fact that she wouldn't let you continue a drug you are taking is very presumptuous and unethical and the hospital board will take issue with that.
Good luck and I am so sorry that you were judged like that.

badnights

Post by badnights »

aveerik wrote:Anyone who takes methadone and has to have surgery or see another doctor need to do two things. First have prescribing doctors contact surgeon and explain why you are taking it. Although I still think if it used for addiction instead of abusing opiates doctors and nurses should be proud of these folks. The other big concern is if you are taking methadone it will make any opiate you take not work. That has to be known by all medical staff taking care of you because you will need a much higher dose of pain meds to work, or better yet just have them consider upping your methadone rx to take care of pain. There are some very reasonable doctors out there and if you can get surgeon on your side and tell them you will not tolerate bad treatment because Of a med you have been prescribed you are more likely to have nursing staff on your side.
I would definitely complain about this doctor to the hospital and find a new doctor. Just the fact that she wouldn't let you continue a drug you are taking is very presumptuous and unethical and the hospital board will take issue with that.

This is so good! Thank you!