after foot surgery

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
maybe

Re: after foot surgery

Post by maybe »

I made a mistake I take 1mg half in the afternoon the other half noon. I was fine till the surgery I went all day without one. I took 1mg before bed abut now at 11 at night my legs are jumping would tramadol or hydrocodone/acetaminophen help.
maybe

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Any opioid would help you now - be careful using them, of course.

But, that doesn't solve the problem. You are going to keep needing more over time and it's likely going to get worse. As far as I understand it, the only way to stop this is to get a doctor to help you - to stop the pramipexole completely.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Joanie60

Post by Joanie60 »

Slightly off-topic but this thread reminded me

I had bunion surgery on my right foot with twilight sleep. Two weeks later, with my right foot in a boot, I had my left-foot bunion surgery. I woke up to my legs in battle with each other...the funniest sight of RLS ever... the boot and the newly bandaged foot going at each other. The nurse quickly gave me some type of pain meds which settled them down.

I couldn't understand why my throat was sore till the surgeon came in. She said she had to put me under general anasthesia because "I can't operate on a moving target!!!". Apparently my RLS was in full swing DURING the second surgery :-)

I told a dear friend who said, Wow, you really DO have RLS huh? (duh, you think???)

Joanie

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Joanie, I smiled as I read this...... but it isn't really a laughing matter :roll:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Joanie60 wrote:Slightly off-topic but this thread reminded me

I had bunion surgery on my right foot with twilight sleep. Two weeks later, with my right foot in a boot, I had my left-foot bunion surgery. I woke up to my legs in battle with each other...the funniest sight of RLS ever... the boot and the newly bandaged foot going at each other. The nurse quickly gave me some type of pain meds which settled them down.

I couldn't understand why my throat was sore till the surgeon came in. She said she had to put me under general anasthesia because "I can't operate on a moving target!!!". Apparently my RLS was in full swing DURING the second surgery :-)

I told a dear friend who said, Wow, you really DO have RLS huh? (duh, you think???)

Joanie

Funny....but not, if you get my drift!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

shelby1

Post by shelby1 »

I had much the same experience. I had a neuroma removed from my foot and the anesthesiologist asked if I wanted to be totally out or not. I said yes I wanted to be out-I woke up and I could tell they weren't quite done and he asked if I was mad at him=I said why? And he asked if I had taken my rls med that morning and I said no because of the anesthetic and he said I was running a marathon and the surgeon couldn't hit a moving target so he had to bring me out. He said he had never seen rls in action but he knew that's what it was now. So next time I have to be put under we will have a definite conversation about taking meds or not.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

shelby1 wrote:I had much the same experience. I had a neuroma removed from my foot and the anesthesiologist asked if I wanted to be totally out or not. I said yes I wanted to be out-I woke up and I could tell they weren't quite done and he asked if I was mad at him=I said why? And he asked if I had taken my rls med that morning and I said no because of the anesthetic and he said I was running a marathon and the surgeon couldn't hit a moving target so he had to bring me out. He said he had never seen rls in action but he knew that's what it was now. So next time I have to be put under we will have a definite conversation about taking meds or not.

For everyone who's experienced this, it could also be PLMs.

When I was in my early 20s, I had all four wisdom teeth out and some other oral surgery at the same time. The oral surgeon used sodium pentothal. I remember waking up with him staring at me and talking to me. It took a little while for me to figure out what he was saying. He wanted to know if I had epilepsy! He said he was jerking and he was really worried about me. I laughed in my drugged state and said, "Oh, that's just my jumpy legs," I didn't even know the name of RLS, let alone PLM, even though I did know I kicked in my sleep.

He called me at home that night, and again two days later. Those movements really scared him. He was sooooo concerned for me and such a genuine, authentic person that I remember having a bit of a crush on him and wondering if I'd ever meet a man who was so caring and masculine at the same time :oops:

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

:) that's cute

I wonder about the movements during surgery. PLMs are common with WED, but they're not technically part of WED. They're regarded as an accompanying phenomenon, present in many though not in all cases; not actually a part of the same disease. Yet, everyone who has experience with them regards them as part of the whole WED phenomenon.

The distinction is supposed to be clear - involuntary, periodic movements vs. the voluntary irregular movements of WED. But I know from experience there are non-periodic involuntary movements that seem to be part of the WED. What were the movements that you guys made during surgery?

Clearly, the movements during surgery are involuntary - you're unconscious - but are they periodic? The analogy of running a marathon seems more descriptive of the irregular, restless movements of WED than of periodic reflexive movements. There are dimensions to this disease and then some.

Remember the woman who died during surgery because she had a heart attack that apparently was caused when the surgeons tried to HOLD her legs down?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.