Nortriptyline?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
doety

Nortriptyline?

Post by doety »

Saw my neurologist yesterday; we were tweaking what I'm doing.
He suggested the above drug (it rings a distant bell)....said it was a low dose, would take a couple of weeks to work. But I stayed up until 3 a.m. I was also upset about something, so I don't know the cause. But I'd rather not stay up all night again if the drug is to blame. Do you know about it??

badnights

Re: Nortriptyline?

Post by badnights »

That's a tricyclic anti-depressant, a drug of a class that commonly worsens WED symptoms. What was he prescribing it for? Not WED, ,I hope. And if you need an AD, there are better ones for WED than that -
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

doety

Post by doety »

Thanks so much. I won't take it again. Also, I'll let him know.....he does have other WED patients, but none as old or bad as I am. I try to keep him up on stuff -- and he knows that I consider this discussion board the ultimate authority!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Why did he want you to take it?

I'd say that the people here have 80/20 experiences - 80% negative, 20% positive. It definitely HAS worked for some people. If you didn't have actual WED symptoms, it may work for you.

As Beth said, if it's as an AD, I'd suggest trying others first. But, without knowing why he wanted you to try it, it's hard to say if it's worth continuing.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

doety

Post by doety »

It was for WED. He keeps looking around for remedies, but like everyone else, doesn't know where to look. I have high hopes for the wonderful team at Johns Hopkins.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There's no one, to my knowledge, who takes this for WED successfully. They do take it to help them sleep and it may not bother WED, but it doesn't help, unfortunately.

This really sucks at times, doesn't it?????
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

what else are you taking now, doety?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Nortriptyline is mentioned in dr B's book as POSSIBLY RLS friendly; not a remedy for RLS.

Corrie

QyX

Post by QyX »

Nortriptyline is the active metabolite of Amitriptyline, an other tricyclic AD. They say Nortriptyline is a 2nd generation tricyclic and it should come with less side effects then the 1st generation of tricyclic ADs. Amitriptyline is well known to cause RLS/WED symptoms, even in people who do not have RLS/WED at all. I don't know about Nortriptyline but because of the effects Amitriptyline can have on RLS/WED I wouldn't be surprised if Nortriptyline is going to trigger RLS/WED symptoms.

In general I would stay away from tricyclic ADs if you have WED and go with the newer AD (Venlafaxine, Bupropione, Duloxetine) and if these don't work consider a SSRi who sometimes worsen WED.