RLS after hip surgery

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
EeFall

Re: my knee (hi-jacking this topic for a post or two)

Post by EeFall »

badnights wrote:Actually, it's been brutal. I was to go visit my parents on Monday (tomorrow!). When it first happened, during the scream I was already feeling the bitter disappointment that I wouldn't be playing the game (it happened during warm-up! My own teammate stepped on the outside of my knee joint while running at the net. Right on the joint, not near it, on it) Then I realized, as I watched the game from the bench, that I probably couldn't play for the rest of the broomball season, which ends in February. Then after I saw the doctor at Emerg on Monday morning, I learned I would also miss the rest of hockey season, which goes til April.
.... ("gone" is the word he used).

You are having surgery, will miss the rest of season & your trip to see your parents, and happened by a teammate! Terrible news.
I hope you have a speedy recovery with no additional WED problems. I have had surgeries where the additional meds actually helped WED, I hope it will be the same for you.

badnights

Re: knee

Post by badnights »

thanks everyone for the advice and good wishes! I have seen Mr. Knee God here in Edmonton and have even worse news in a way - or better - not sure how to think of it. Worse, in terms of my life, for the same reason you have, Steve: both ligaments are indeed torn, but the MCL will be left to heal on its own (with careful and abundant PT) which will take 3-4 months. I cannot have the ACL surgery until the MCL is healed. I didn't really understand why, I was too shocked to comprehend. I shouldn't have been, I guess. I shouldn't have expected anything, then I would not be shockable.

So the soonest I could have ACL surgery would be this spring, but then I would miss my fieldwork season; if it was in the fall, I would miss almost an entire season of hockey. I can't tell which is worse; but the choice is probably not mine anyway, it will depend on the availability of surgeons. My sister skated for 3 years with a brace and no ACL, but she says it wasn't very stable. Not liking the sound of that. Sigh.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Re: RLS after hip surgery

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sigh.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Big Sigh...
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Traumeel

Post by badnights »

I tried reading the link and found lots of information about NSAIDs but little actual information (vs. claims) about Traumeel, so I looked elsewhere. Informative reviews at http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.c ... omeopathy/
and http://saveyourself.ca/articles/arnica.php
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Maria

Post by Maria »

yes, sigh... again.
On the bright side, my daughter probably gets great results from almost anything and would be a terrific subject for a placebo trial :) Meanwhile I slathered on the Traumeel for my basal joint arthritis the other night, and finally got to sleep only after I went for the Bio-Freeze. Menthol trumps arnica I reckon. Now I can try it out on my coccyx which I cracked falling on ice. It's sore enough for me to feel even more empathy for your inactivity -- but doesn't come close to what you're putting up with. Keeping you in my thoughts!

badnights

Post by badnights »

Thank you my dear! I don't envy you your cracked tailbone, though; how can you even sit?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

OUCH! I cracked my tailbone years ago - that was miserable! I feel for you, Maria.

Beth, how are you doing?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Maria

Post by Maria »

... cracked tailbone, though; how can you even sit?

ahaha - no problem! What we know is that we are all practiced "standers."

badnights

tailbones and knees

Post by badnights »

ahaha - no problem! What we know is that we are all practiced "standers."
:lol: I was going to make a crack about that, but it's much better coming from you!

Beth, how are you doing?
I'm doing OK, in most respects, but only because I don't let myself think too much, and I signed up for a 21-day yoga thing. The sudden cessation of 5 nights a week of sports had me flirting with depression, so I have to do something. I will sign up with a gym when the yoga is over. Meanwhile I am taking 21 yoga classes in 21 days, and there's a diet to follow as well. I couldn't do it if I was working, the timing is all wrong, and the shopping and food prep take a lot of time; but I had holidays anyway from the trip I had to cancel to get my knee checked out, so I am spending them in Yellowknife. Wondering why I still feel as if I can't get everything done in the day.

I decided to use the yoga diet as an opportunity to go wheat and wheat-gluten free, but it turns out my oatmeal "may contain wheat". Does that mean I am not gluten free?

Also I think next week is supposed to be juices only. I don't think that's the best thing I could do for my knee at this point in its recovery. I think it needs all the nutrients it can get. I have been worried about going meat free, but figured I was doing OK with the beans and other protein sources. But this juice-only thing, that might leave my ligaments without something they need to heal?

I am a bit freaking out because of a discrepancy between what the Edmonton surgeon said to me in person and what he wrote on a note. He said that I should be re-assessed in 2-3 months when the MCL had healed, at which point they would decide if I was a candidate for ACL surgery (!! I thought it was a given! I'm a candidate! I want an ACL!) But in the note he gave me, it says f/u 6/12 which I found out meant follow up in 6 months. That would place it in August, AFTER my field season, but I really need to see someone before then to confirm that I can go in the field without an ACL. etc. So I am trying to get hold of him to clear that up. I don't even know if it will be him who sees me or if his job is done and he's sending my file (so to speak) back to Yellowknife. So confusing.

The only reason I was sent to Edmonton was that the guy here thought I might have some kind of complicated tear that would need surgery within 3 weeks, but the guy down there says I don't. So I missed my trip to my parents just to find that out. I had to do it, but still. It would feel like a more worth-while sacrifice if I had actually needed immediate surgery.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Per the oats, studies show they are often contaminated with as few as 5 parts per million to as many as several hundred parts per million. It varies batch to batch. So, you could be gluten free...or might not.

There are GF oats, however. They cost quite a bit more, but taste just the same :-).

I personally am not sure juicing is all that good for us. I've done it several times, though.

Um, though this isn't exactly related, I have chondramalacia and have yet to find a good solution. But, there is a guy in a chondramalacia group I'm in who's done a LOT of research about knees and how they heal. I can't think of his name, but I remember him saying some things that were at odds with what most doctors say about regeneration of tissue and how knees and knee components heal. Just like with WED, most docs are going to be behind and not up on the latest - research says an average of 15 years behind. Not sure how that might affect you....

I can see why you'd be upset about what the doc said vs wrote and how it affects your work this summer. And, how going to see this guy totally messed up your plans to see your parents when it didn't really end up mattering. Life isn't fair, is it?

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I get so mad when things aren't clear cut..... ifs and buts really do my head in !!!
Not know exactly what is going to happen, and when, or hearing conflicting versions leaves us in a limbo which in turn runs out in ripples and effects our whole circle, both social and working.
And then on top of that you are limited physically - good luck with your 21/yoga, I hope you find it beneficial.
I also wonder about juicing for a week .... some sort of a de-tox ?
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation