Left Shoulder

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Left Shoulder

Post by debbluebird »

My left shoulder has been giving me problems for several months now. It took forever to get a doctor appt. I finally get to go Tuesday. Will find out how bad it is. Plus, now my right shoulder has been hurting too. Last night my legs were quiet, thank goodness. But my shoulders were hurting and keeping me from sleeping well, and that's with 15 mg of Methadone plus 7.5 mg of Oxycodone. I was still hurting. So, I know that if I weren't taking those drugs, I would really be in pain.
We'll see what happens.

ViewsAskew

Re: Left Shoulder

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hope you find out what it is and they can solve it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope it is something straightforward and maybe can be sorted with some physio.
Best of luck :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

physio can work wonders. I hope it's that simple.

Not that physio is simple to fit into your day and do properly, day after day ... but you know what I mean :)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Saw the doctor today. All of my cartilage is gone. I thought it was. I can feel the grinding. They will do a left total replacement April 11. An injection would only postpone it. Therapy would not help. Plus it would be possible to loose more range of motion if I wait. Right now my range of motion will stay the same, or get a little better after the surgery. Plus my rotator cuff is intact. That was the good news for the doctor. My right side is fine. Only a little arthritis. It might not happen for years, if at all, since I'm not over using that arm now. I used my cane in the left for over two years because of my bad hips.
I will only be in the hospital over night. I will be in a sling for five weeks, with no use of the arm. Then physical therapy. Then full use after three months. I have really bad osteoarthritis. It's just the way it is. Shouldn't have much pain either.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You're soon to be a bionic person!

Hope it really helps.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

It does surprise me, getting all of these replacements. I always thought it would just be my knees. They were first. My immediate family all had just one joint replaced. My Grandmother had it done three times on the same hip, only because she lived so long. She lived one month from 99. In those days hip replacements only lasted 10 years. He first one was around age 72. My younger sister needs both her shoulders done. She's putting it off. She used her arms/shoulders in her job opening and closing heavy doors. I'm starting to feel like my old self. My knees started giving my problems in my 40's. I'm now 63.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's amazing how bodies can be so fragile yet so strong at the same time, isn't it?

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

The thing about having surgery. I can't think about what they actually do to me during the surgery to give me the new joint. Even though I'm an RN, I just can't think about it.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Trying to get a million things done before this surgery. I won't have the use of my arm/hand (if it means raising the arm) for 5 weeks. Just finished six squares for a quilt four of us are making to sell, using the money for charity. Six squares apiece. Next I have a project to complete for church, the main bulletin board. I think I have the concept in my head, so I just have to get it cut out, etc. Last I want to make a chin strap for my CPAP machine. This will be the fourth one that I have made. Each time they get better. The third one is very good. The first two aren't as good. So I want one more that is very good to have on hand. They keep my mouth shut during sleep. I finally got my new CPAP machine, after trying for 7 months to get one. It's working out fine.
I won't be able to do a lot of things for what seems like a long time. Five whole weeks. We don't have an automatic dish washer. So I won't be washing dishes for a while.
I am feeling pretty good right now. I'm in my sleeping well cycle and my new hips are doing great. I'm moving around almost like I used to do. I'm exercising and getting stronger. Since we live where we have winter seven plus months during the year, we always have a lot to accomplish during the spring/summer. All of my friends do the same thing. We run around like crazy during the summer going and doing. Then in the winter we do a lot of sewing. It's a small close community.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I'm betting you're always that busy! Best of luck getting it done and with the surgery.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My husband tried making a chin strap once....he went back to purchasing them! But, they are SOOOOO expensive!

How did you end up making it that it worked for you, if you don't mind sharing?

Good luck getting all that done!

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Not sure how to tell you about the chin strap. I saw one on line that was $60. There was no way I was going to pay that. Also the straps seemed very wide.
There is an area over the mouth, that is about three or four inches by about five inches that goes just under my nose, down over my mouth and just under the chin and cheek to cheek. I tried the ones that just fit my chin and I always get my mouth open. The top strap extends from the part under my nose goes around and velcros behind my head at the base of my neck. Then the other set of straps starts at the other end from my chin extending up around to the top of my head. It's shaped like an H, with the middle, as the wide part. I doubled the material, having the stitching inside. That part goes under my nose. It's the softest. You can't turn it, so you have to stitch on the outside on the bottom part which goes under my chin. The an important part is which way the bias of the material goes. The non stretchy goes vertical , from nose to chin. The stretchy (bias) goes horizontal, cheek to cheek. I don't know if this is making any sense. It fit tights over my mouth, but not too tight.
I would send you in the mail pictures if you want. I just bought pillow cases, to use that as my material. I used other material, but it's not as soft. I want very soft material. Or do you want one made ?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't think he's ever tried anything but the one around the chin to head. What you are doing sounds much better.

I wasn't thinking of asking you to make one, but PM me with what you'd charge. I also saw those $60 ones and it's CRAZY! He did find some in Ebay for much less, but they don't work very well. Thanks!

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

OK