Restless Legs Syndrome May Signify Bigger Health Problems

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
dwimble

Restless Legs Syndrome May Signify Bigger Health Problems

Post by dwimble »

Neurologist Sanford H. Auerbach, MD. has written an article in the March 05, 2014 edition of "Neurology: the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology" supporting the idea that RLS is a biomarker for other more serious diseases.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-03-r ... igger.html

jul2873

Re: Restless Legs Syndrome May Signify Bigger Health Problem

Post by jul2873 »

Thanks, dwimble. But I've decided not to worry yet since the study only looked at men: "The editorial was in response to an analysis of 12,556 men who were followed over time by the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study, published in the same issue of Neurology, which showed multiple disease associations with RLS."

Since WED afflicts twice as many women as men, I wonder why they just studied men. I would be very interested in seeing a study that included women. Maybe that's too much to ask.

Mary

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I, also, saw this and figured not to worry, yet. It's an association - not causation. They really do not know why. It COULD be related, and it might NOT be related.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

I totally agree with this. I have had WED/RLS for decades and each year it gets worse. I have had a heart attack, 11 years after that had another stent in my heart. I have fibro, really bad. And arthritis, both types. I haven't slept for more than 3 hours at time for years. I could go on and on but I will spare you. I take short naps, and have no energy... And I am in pain almost all the time. Sometimes worse than others.

Anyway, I need advice on explaining to friends why I am not able to do the things I used to and the things I still would like to do. I feel like I'm falling through the cracks because I am home most of the time and visits and phone calls have really slowed down. I know no one understands what is wrong with me and I need to know how to explain to them, but in a brief way. Maybe, there is no easy way to do this. Maybe I'm asking the impossible, maybe no one really cares how I feel or what is wrong with me. Thats how I feel anyway.

I would appreciate any suggestions or your thoughts on the matter.

Hope you all are enduring. Take care.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Betty/WV - this is a link to a poem that I came across and thought that it gave quite a good description of the effects of WED/RLS
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8759
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Betty, use the word "pain" to describe WED. People understand what pain is. Tell them, if you need to discuss it, that you're in constant pain from this disease, that it's well-known that it gets worse at night, and you're chronically sleep-deprived because of it. And because you're in pain and sleep-deprived, you're slower and less focused than before, but you still want to do things.

I thin you need, very important, need to keep reaching out to people. Make plans every now and then to do something with someone else, even though you don't know whether you'll be up to it when the time rolls around. Then do it, even if you feel bad enough to want to stay home all day. Only do this once every few weeks, but be sure to do it.

Be careful not to overtax yourself, but you need to move around and see people. So find a balance of those two things.

At the beginning of the activity (card game, walk, dinner, whatever it is), tell your friend or companions if you're having an especially bad day ("just so you know, I'm having a flare-up of pain, so I'll be a little slow and unfocussed today"). Then leave the topic alone. If you talk about it too much, you focus on it, and miss whatever positive things you could be getting out of your activity.

Yes, you can't do as much as before. And yes, for sure, that hurts. But at some point you should choose to move on, to accept that, to make sure you don't waste what you have in bemoaning what you've lost.

Be brave, try this out.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Beth: Thanks for the advice. I do some of the things you suggested. I do do things liike go to lunch, get groceries, I also go to religious meetings. I have always been very active in my religion, less so now. But do what I can. But doing all these things, even once in a while, is very difficult. Getting myself ready is very hard, I have a hard time doing my hair, putting on my clothes etc. Riding in a car is hard, I can't go for long. And the last movie I went to with a friend, I ended up standing up by the wall for most of the movie.

I think what you said about mentioning "pain", especially briefly at the beginning of any activity. I certainly can't do as much as I used to, its impossible. The pain is to bad, I have to recognize my limitations. I used to beat myself up because I wasn't able to do what I wanted to but I now do the best I can and accept that is the way it has to be.

Thanks for your concern, I really appreciate it.

BETTY/WV :)
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think that referring to our almost indescribable sensations as 'pain' can be very helpful in many situations.

The ordinary person finds it hard to get to grips with...... '''''it's not a pain, it's a horrible feeling like ants/electricity/etc.'''''
I once described it as a pain that goes walking through my limbs .... that really confused them.
Even if the word pain doesn't exactly describe the sensations, I think pain is something that non sufferers can relate to, so they may understand the effect if not the sensation.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation