Why Certain Supplements May Help

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Why Certain Supplements May Help

Post by ViewsAskew »

I ran across this today:
http://www.naturalhealthadvisory.com/da ... epression/

It's on increasing dopamine naturally.

I won't copy it and violate copyright, but here are some of the highlights:

First is to eliminate sugar - supposedly it disrupts dopamine levels. Could explain why certain diets help.

The next was to take tyrosine - which people have suggested here more than once. She explains why tyrosine is the best supplement to increase dopamine naturally.

Eliminating caffeine was on the list, something we're often told to do. It supposedly decreased dopamine levels soon after it provides the initial wake up kick.

Setting a routine schedule and regular activity also help create dopamine levels.

Stress, she says, are strongly correlate with dopamine deficiency.

The next on her list is a magnesium deficiency, something people often list as helping WED. If you are deficient, it, too, can cause a dopamine deficiency.

So many of these are things suggested to us and often help people. It seems, according to her, that all of these could be explained by the dopamine connection. Very interesting.

The only thing to add here is to get ferritin and hemoglobin tested to ensure the brain has enough iron to use the dopamine.

My guess is that this list is one of the best places to start for someone who's new to WED treatment and hasn't and/or doesn't want to use drugs. It may not work for more intense cases, but seems a great starting point for many - especially since the vast majority of us have mild to moderate symptoms.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Re: Why Certain Supplements May Help

Post by Polar Bear »

Very helpful to have these ideas listed for new members, and as a reminder to us not so new.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I looked up tyrosine since I didn't know anything about it. I thought this was interesting and it makes since that a low carb diet might help some people. People usually eliminate sugar with a low carb diet.

Dietary sources

Tyrosine, which can also be synthesized in the body from phenylalanine, is found in many high-protein food products such as chicken, turkey, fish, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, peanuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, soy products, lima beans, avocados, and bananas.

I also found this from another source:
Precursor to neurotransmitters and hormones

In dopaminergic cells in the brain, tyrosine is converted to l-dopa by the enzyme tyrosine hydroxylase (TH). TH is the rate-limiting enzyme involved in the synthesis of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Dopamine can then be converted into the catecholamines norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and epinephrine (adrenaline).

The thyroid hormones triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) in the colloid of the thyroid also are derived from tyrosine.

This part is interesting to me since I just recently was put on thyroid medication. It all makes sense. If I don't have enough tyrosine, then my thyroid levels would be low.

I think I will change my diet and start taking tyrosine.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I used tyrosine long ago and found it diminished my symptoms some. Not 50% but at least 25%. There is one person who posts here - says tyrosine has completely eliminated symptoms for years.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I ordered some tyrosine yesterday. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference, since it seems to be involved with the dopamine, and thyroid. I might consider trying to get off the methadone if the tyrosine makes a difference. I decided to take 500mg a day.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If you search on tyrosine, you'll find the information from the person whose wife uses it. I think she takes 1000 a day, but I really am not sure.

Do let us know how it works.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

When I looked it up most sites said 100mg per 150 pounds. So I thought I would start at 500 mg. They said not to take more than 1200 mg a day.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:When I looked it up most sites said 100mg per 150 pounds. So I thought I would start at 500 mg. They said not to take more than 1200 mg a day.

I wasnt' clear at all....typing after being medicated is not always very wise! I meant to search on this site to find out the protocol the person used who found it successful....

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

That's ok. I didn't take what you wrote the wrong way. I just thought I'd write why I'm taking the amount that I decided on. Because of my weight gain, I decided to take 500 mg. I'm just over 200. I thought that the extra above 100mg would be enough to start with. I might try more later. I've lost some weight since the initial gain from the mirapex, but I can't seem to loose the rest. Drives me crazy.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:That's ok. I didn't take what you wrote the wrong way. I just thought I'd write why I'm taking the amount that I decided on. Because of my weight gain, I decided to take 500 mg. I'm just over 200. I thought that the extra above 100mg would be enough to start with. I might try more later. I've lost some weight since the initial gain from the mirapex, but I can't seem to loose the rest. Drives me crazy.

I put on weight from pramipexole, too. about 40 pounds. I'd already had some extra from when I quit smoking.

I've tried multiple time to lost - with no success. I likely know more about food, nutrients and calories than many doctors - but it hasn't helped me.

Until now.

I am using my version of the DASH diet (it's for hypertention). Hubby uses it for that purpose - I followed it because it was easier for me to cook when I accounted for his diet. Lo and behold, I'm losing about a half pound to a pound a week. I didn't lose any initially, then I cut back a bit. After the first couple months, I'd only lose maybe 2 pounds, but then I started losing a bit faster.

If you want to know what I'm doing - happy to share with you. I'm quite befuddled about why it's working. I'm never hungry, I eat just about anything I want. I just follow a few simple guidelines.

I know you've got other things going on, so this may not help at all. Just thought I'd mention it in case.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm terrible with following any plan. I do best when I tell myself, I'm going to have two items for breakfast, three items for lunch and three for dinner. I don't like to count calories, or anything for that matter. I do know portions. What I do wrong is eating to many items. I just make myself crazy. I just have to keep it simple. But thanks anyway.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This doesn't count calories - it counts portions - but you do have to measure and count them! It takes me about 5 extra minutes a day. You get X portions of starches, X of proteins, etc. Not sure why it's working but I lost another .5 pound this week. It will take me two years to lose the pramipexole weight, but I've had it for 6 or 7, so guess I can deal with 2 years!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Managing Your RLS

dwimble

Post by dwimble »

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

ViewsAskew wrote:
I put on weight from pramipexole, too. about 40 pounds. I'd already had some extra from when I quit smoking.

I've tried multiple time to lost - with no success. I likely know more about food, nutrients and calories than many doctors - but it hasn't helped me.

Until now.

I am using my version of the DASH diet (it's for hypertention). Hubby uses it for that purpose - I followed it because it was easier for me to cook when I accounted for his diet. Lo and behold, I'm losing about a half pound to a pound a week. I didn't lose any initially, then I cut back a bit. After the first couple months, I'd only lose maybe 2 pounds, but then I started losing a bit faster.

If you want to know what I'm doing - happy to share with you. I'm quite befuddled about why it's working. I'm never hungry, I eat just about anything I want. I just follow a few simple guidelines.

I know you've got other things going on, so this may not help at all. Just thought I'd mention it in case.

You are not going to believe this. My kidney function is decreasing. I looked up the Kidney Foundation site and they suggest the DASH diet. My GFR is at 40 It was 45 the last lab. It should be above 60. I am going to do everything I can to try and stop the progression. It's been going down for a few years, but I just thought my meds were the cause. Now with this next drop, I can't ignore it any longer.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hope it helps. That isn't something you want to hear, is it? Is anything else helpful related to improving it?

The hard part of the diet is cutting out the salt. It means you have to prepare the vast majority of stuff yourself. Depending on how you cook now, that can be a challenge. I buy no sodium beans in cans, for example, so I don't have to cook beans from scratch. Same with tomatoes when I use canned.

I've lost another 2 pounds in about 6 weeks. It's not coming off fast, but it's still coming off.

I modified the form to fit my purposes. I put beans/legumes with veggies. I tend to eat them several times a week, so I don't need an inducement or separate category to do it.

Managing Your RLS