Sequential Compression Devices for RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
fek67

Sequential Compression Devices for RLS

Post by fek67 »

I am a 69-year old female who has had RLS symptoms since my early 20s. The RLS has gotten worse with age and I tried ropinerole about three years ago. Initially, the medication response was very good, but in less than a year I developed augmentation. I was then switched to gabapentin, but discontinued that after just two weeks due to side effects of severe depression and weight gain. I am now off all RLS medications and using hot baths before bed at night to help relax my leg muscles.

Last May I had a total hip replacement and was concerned about how I would deal with my RLS while hospitalized. To my great surprise, the sequential compression device used on my legs after surgery to prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT) also completely eliminated my RLS symptoms. The compression device used was the ALP 501 and I found the lower leg wraps of this system very comfortable. However, this device does require a prescription for purchase and I have not pursued that as yet.

When I reviewed my Nightwalkers Spring 2014 publication, I was very interested that the Complementary Corner had listed a 2009 study, "Pneumatic compression devices are an effective therapy for restless leg syndrome: a prospective, randomized, double-blinded, sham-controlled trial". Lettieri, CJ, Eliasson, AH. Chest 135(1):74-80. Essentially, the results of this study confirmed what I had experienced with use of the ALP 501 --- an external intermittent pneumatic compression system with a calf length "breathable" garment attached via Velcro closures.

I would like to know if any other RLS sufferers have experienced relief from use of a sequential compression device?

ViewsAskew

Re: Sequential Compression Devices for RLS

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's been discussed here a few times, but not often. In the past, the issue was how would you do that at home????? Now, with new devices out, you may be able to.

I have never used one.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Out of curiosity I looked over on PubMed and did find mention of a couple studies (not very current) that indicate some people are helped by compression devices. Back when my RLS/WED and PLMD were horrid due to augmentation, I couldn't have tolerated anything touching my legs like that, but at this point where my symptoms are not intensified beyond the expected, I could possibly see me trying this if a need arose. Right now my legs are controlled at night with a TENS Unit, but I'm always open to other possibilities. I'll be interested to see if anyone else comes along with experience with this. May be that this is a silver lining for you from having surgery. Sounds like you're in the group that can benefit.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Back in 2011 my sleep doctor wanted me to try the device at home. At the time I had just lost my insurance. I knew that I wouldn't be able to pay for the use of them. He would have written a script and ordered it from a DME company. I don't know if it would have worked or not for me.

fek67

Post by fek67 »

In 2001, I had surgery for a broken ankle and subsequently had a rigid cast for over a month. When the cast was removed, the RLS in that leg was absolutely awful and a TENS unit helped dramatically. However, the electrode attachments would tend to detach as I moved or turned over in bed during the night. Also, my TENS unit had just one pair of electrode attachments which meant that I could treat only one leg at a time. I eventually gave up on the TENS unit altogether.

As to sequential compression devices, they do require a prescription from a physician and are expensive. I've done some limited research online and even "used" machines are over $1,000. The study cited in Sleepwalker's Complementary Corner in Spring 2014 was interesting in that the participants wore the compression device on their legs for a period of time (I think it was an hour) in the evening BEFORE bedtime. That is, they did NOT use this device during the night.

In comparison, the TENS unit I purchased in 2001 also required a prescription and cost about $300. I was fortunate in that my medical insurance did cover this cost. However, there is also an ongoing cost for the disposable electrode attachment patches, which can be used only once.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Regarding the TENS electrodes, I used to use some that were good for 3 or 4 uses maybe. At some point I tried the ones advertised to last a month and have found 3 weeks is more accurate for me but I have had some that stayed sticky for over a month, and that was without taking the suggested extra precautions for prolonging their life. I have found that a pad that has lost its tight adherence does not deliver the same level of effective treatment. For a while I was taping them on to try to save money on pads, but had to give up and accept this is one area I cannot be a penny pincher on. Unfortunately, during that time there was no choice - didn't have that penny to pinch.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am guessing you buy pads on Ebay. My BIL has diabetes and uses Ebay. I have a TENS I use for muscle issues - I followed his advice. I haven't used it that often, so am just on my second set. I think I got about 2 weeks out of my first set that came with my device.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pjmccoy1

Post by pjmccoy1 »

Does anyone familiar with this unit? Restless Legs Resonator, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation ? Wasn't sure what if anyone had use this type of therapy? http://www.restlesslegsresonator.com/science.html
PJ, Heaven Bound

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'm pretty sure a member a few months ago wrote about this. I think he created his own....not sure where the post is, but assume it's in this section and not too far down.

Managing Your RLS

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

@pjmccoy1 The device you linked to is totally different from the compression devices discussed earlier in this thread. The device you mentioned is a TENS device, which I use use to quiet my legs at night. From reading the link, I'm not sure how they are recommending it be used. I've read where some put the electrodes on their legs. I tried that and it nearly made me crazy! Well, admittedly I may not have had far to go. :oops: I place the electrodes on my lower back for a while before bedtime and it helps me. I'd look around and compare prices if you are considering trying one.
EDIT: Just went to the site and looked deeper. While the output device seems like a standard TENS, it's delivery method is very different from was prescribed for me by my doctor for low back pain, and I found it to be helpful for my legs. That is quite a steep price to not know anyone who has used it. Maybe you can find the person who already posted about it. I'm curious.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I seemed to remember it wasn't the same as a TENS in some way. Or maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Managing Your RLS

pjmccoy1

Post by pjmccoy1 »

I've never used anything. I am unfamiliar with either compression devices (muscle stimulant) versus nerve stimulation. I found this too is this what you're using http://www.lgmedsupply.com/tensproducts.html
PJ, Heaven Bound

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

PJ - the real problem in deciding is that none of these work for all of us. You almost just have to pick one and go with it. If it doesn't work, you try another.

Sleepdancer2 uses a regular TENS device. It doesn't help me at all. It uses electrodes to deliver electrical pulses to the body part. They are often used for pain - and quite successfully. I use it for pain and it works for that.

Compression is completely different. If you like to wear compression stockings (a much less expensive way to see if you like it and it works), you'll likely find the compression device to work.

Then there is another device that you lay on. You'll find a post about it in the recent past, but I don't think we've had anyone telling us it works, yet, but there was a clinical trial and it was shown to be effective.

And, then there is yet another device. It looks like TENS, but is different. There is yet another post in the recent past about that working for someone.

If you do some sleuthing in this forum, you'll find them all and can get a lot of info. Maybe that will help you better narrow it down.

Managing Your RLS

pjmccoy1

Post by pjmccoy1 »

This one looked pretty interesting. Just for legs and wouldn't get tangled up maybe as bad. I may try this one you can return it for a restocking charge within 30 days. http://www.lgmedsupply.com/sensus.html
PJ, Heaven Bound

Victoria

Post by Victoria »

After suffering from RLS for decades, I read about an expensive sequential compression device. Since I couldn't afford it, I thought I'd at least try some sort of compression-- and went with ACE BANDAGES. For me, they are a miracle! I wrap up ASAP, as soon as the tingling starts, or it takes longer and I have to wrap tighter. They have worked so well, for me, for the last 5-6 YEARS-- that I very rarely take my Clonazepam anymore! I think I've taken it only a few times in the last YEAR!