Weight Loss

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Re: Weight Loss

Post by ViewsAskew »

ah - now I understand!

I hear you about the extra pounds. I knew I'd put on weight when I quit smoking - I did. I rode my bike like crazy, but still managed to gain 25 pounds or so. Then the pramipexol added more. I've been constant for about 5 years -each time I'd put on a few pounds I would be quite worried that I was gaining again. I hate that feeling.

I am hoping that my body is finally ready to let this go and not freak out physically or emotionally.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I think I'm going to add corn to my list. I wasn't sure. I remembered what you said and I had some today, just to see what would happen. It's more about the bloating, like you said, for me too. Stomach felt uncomfortable, but not so much on the increase of acid. But uncomfortable enough that it's on my list now.
Chocolate is on the list, but I have a problem tying not having it. I will pay for it, if I do though.
I'm really sick of this weight.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, two pounds to go until I hit another important milestone. I haven't been under this weight for a long, long time - maybe 7 years? I'm currently 22 pounds lower than my heaviest - not sure when that was, but sometime in the last 16 months. I think I'd already lost a few pounds when I started this, but am not positive. I'm 15 pounds lighter that I was at the doctor's in April.

I continue to be amazed at how well this works for me. I know that one key is that I am not counting calories. But, another important key is that I do not feel that I've been restricted. I am in a way, but it doesn't feel that way. I can't eat 5 cupcakes, for example, but there isn't anything preventing me from eating about 3 or 4 and I'd still be within my limits. But, I don't ever want to. I'm usually perfectly happy once I've had the veggies, fruit, nuts, protein, etc. It must be this specific mix of foods that does it. While I didn't do it regularly, once in awhile in the past I'd get the equivalent of WED-induced anxiety but it was related to food. I'd NEED to eat sweets, like cupcakes or candy or pancakes. And, I'd eat a LOT of it. When the feeling passed, I'd look around in horror and wonder why I just did that. I've not had one of those episodes since I started this. I honestly do not know why. I've been depressed enough times. I've been anxious, worried, and other emotions that tend to be associated with emotional eating. But, one small square of dark chocolate and that was enough to stop it. Or a bunch of grapes. It's truly fascinating.

I've read that many people overeat slightly each day and it's enough to gain 5-10 pounds a year. What this seems to do is the reverse. It limits me just enough that I lose a small amount, but not so much that I'm ever hungry or feel deprived. It provides just enough structure that I feel normal about food for the first time in many, many years.

Recently I was able to fit into clothes that I haven't worn for at least 5 years and have more clothes that should fit in about 5-8 more pounds. I took in some pants and shirts, too, so I don't need to go clothes shopping yet. That's the best part - when I open up these boxes it's like going on a shopping spree that is free :-). Sure, I already paid for them, but some were worn for a short time and are almost new.

I just hope that I don't hit a plateau that isn't resolved by a slight reduction in intake.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ann, what a buzz.... the joy of zipping up those clothes that haven't seen light of day for years.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

That's great !

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I've gained weight again, about 20 pounds. It feels like the last 10 came on quickly. I'm fighting feeling hungry all the time. I'm pretty miserable this week. Taking gabapentin, and mirapex always does it for me. I remember exactly how I felt when I had stopped both of these meds, hunger was reduced and I felt full faster.
I've got to pay attention or I will just keep gaining. I also remember how good it felt to be at the lower weight.
It doesn't help that my husband is wanting to eat the wrong stuff again, bringing stuff home.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

The first med I took for RLS was Mirapex (pramipexole). I was overweight at the time I started it, but gained 20# in 2 months. I think for many, weight gain on Mirapex is a mild manifestation of the impulse control problems that are known to occur with all dopamine agonists.
Blessings,
Holland

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yep, and I hate it for that reason, but it is giving me some sleep for a couple of nights.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Ann, congratulations on your continued weight loss. Our brains think we are starving our bodies when we try to lose weight so it's hard.
For inspiration I recommend "Sugar Free Farm", a BBC reality show where overweight celebrities go for a week or two to work on a farm and have a sugar-restricted diet to retrain their taste buds. That program really hit home with me. Look for it on the BBC website.
I don't recommend my other method for losing weight. I have a lung disease, bronchiectasis, and when it flares up I don't even want to look at food. It does keep the weight off though.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yankiwi wrote:Ann, congratulations on your continued weight loss. Our brains think we are starving our bodies when we try to lose weight so it's hard.
For inspiration I recommend "Sugar Free Farm", a BBC reality show where overweight celebrities go for a week or two to work on a farm and have a sugar-restricted diet to retrain their taste buds. That program really hit home with me. Look for it on the BBC website.
I don't recommend my other method for losing weight. I have a lung disease, bronchiectasis, and when it flares up I don't even want to look at food. It does keep the weight off though.
When my dad died at age 45 - diabetic, alcoholic, smoker, overweight - I had a bit of an overreaction, lol. I stopped drinking completely (not that I drank much, but...) and I completely stopped all processed sugar intake. No catsup, so syrup, no cereal with added sugar, even a gram. It was amazing what happened to my taste buds!

Of course, within weeks of adding a bit of sugar again here and there, they ticked upward. And, after months? It was just like it had been :-(.

Managing Your RLS

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Amazing the way sugar creeps its way back into people's lives. I go a day or 2 or 3, and the same thing happens to me.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

If I can go longer than a week, It's no longer difficult.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I finally got on the scale today. I've been away for two weeks and couldn't weigh. I've put on 30 pounds. I stayed with the first 10 for almost a year. The next 10 happened in the last few months. The last 10 happened in the last month. My legs are so swollen.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Deb, if your legs are swollen could some of the weight be fluid?

When I started on a medication for blood pressure my feet and lower legs got swollen. Happily my doctor changed to another (more expensive) medication and the swelling has almost disappeared. Not noticable to see but I can feel it.

It is so disheartening when weight goes up. I'm sure that some of mine was caused by the impulsive control of Ropinerole. It was easy to eat a whole pack of cookies when on nocturnal wanderings. Just imagine what that does night after night. For some reason that particular impulse is no longer there, is it a coincidence that I've reduced ropinerole, who knows. I might still have a bowl of cereal but not to the ridiculous extent of previously.
More recently, 6 months on Lyrica I think is having an affect on my weight.

My friend and I were talking about this yesterday, whatever the cause.... noone but ourselves is putting food in our mouths.
If meds cause weight gain without us overeating, I'm not sure how this happens.
Got a text last night from my friend which said.... "That's it, no more messing, mouth zipped" !! :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes Betty, I can tell there's a lot of fluid. Now that I'm home, I will be eating better. I was also in the car a lot which didn't help. I see my Doctor Tuesday.