Child with RLS/PLMD

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
AnnaM

Re: Child with RLS/PLMD

Post by AnnaM »

My son is experiencing some slight nausea around 330pm to 4pm. Is this a side effect of the Neurontin. He says he's a little car sick after I pick him up from school. Doesn't seem to last long. Will this resolve after he's been on the Neurontin?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I did a quick Google search - and as soon as I typed "gabapentin n" the search box self completed nausea. Looks like it's a well known side effect. If you read some of these, they might help you know how to proceed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gabapen ... channel=sb
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

AnnaM

Post by AnnaM »

WOW! Got an e-mail from my son's teacher stating he noticed a big change and is more attentive. It's amazing how different he is with real sleep.

Hollybelle78

Post by Hollybelle78 »

I have had RLS since childhood but thankfully has only gotten worse later in life. My mom used to rub my legs and I would take a lot of baths. I take Neurontin and it has been a lifesaver. When I started it it made me very sleepy. I would have to take it around 5 PM so that it would wear off the next day. The longer I have been on it I can take it later in the day. I also sleep with a body pillow so I can elevate my legs some. It's odd that hot baths make it better but if I wake in the middle of the night it feels better to be cold. I take the covers off and turn the air down. But my world has been so much better with the Neurontin. Also, I can use Flonase and Nasonex with no side effects. I also use Vick's Vaporub if I get sick. So heartbreaking for you and your family. RLS can be so frustrating at times. Hope you find something to help!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

AnnaM wrote:WOW! Got an e-mail from my son's teacher stating he noticed a big change and is more attentive. It's amazing how different he is with real sleep.

It makes you wonder how many children are thought of as disruptive or difficult when they really have other issues, such a sleep problems!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

AnnaM wrote:WOW! Got an e-mail from my son's teacher stating he noticed a big change and is more attentive. It's amazing how different he is with real sleep.

I am so happy for you :D :D
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

AnnaM what have your son's doctors said about his ferritin level? You mentioned that he takes a multi-vitamin with iron in it, but for many of us, that's nowhere near enough. I know that my symptoms worsen if I forget my iron pills, even if only for a couple of days, and I take two pills of 325 mg ferrous sulfate each (equivalent of 60 mg iron, I think).

WED bodies seem to eliminate iron instead of recycling it, or somehow otherwise have an iron dysfunction, and I wonder if he might experience symptom relief by taking more iron, enabling you to lower his dose of gabapentin. It's something to ask his doctors about - and if you're going to see Earley or Allen at Johns Hopkins, they're definitely the ones to ask, since they've done a lot of research into the iron connection in WED.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I do not know what the thought is on iron infusions....but about 80% of adults get some measure of relief. I just had my second. My first allowed me 1 week of slightly reduced meds, then that was gone. I was hoping that it created a slightly higher level and that the second infusion would build on it. It appears that has happened. It's only 3 days of reduced symptoms, so I'm not sure how long it will last, but I have been able to reduce my meds again, this time more significantly, I think. The Johns Hopkins team have done years of research on this - they definitely are the ones to talk to.

Managing Your RLS

AnnaM

Post by AnnaM »

badnights wrote:AnnaM what have your son's doctors said about his ferritin level? You mentioned that he takes a multi-vitamin with iron in it, but for many of us, that's nowhere near enough. I know that my symptoms worsen if I forget my iron pills, even if only for a couple of days, and I take two pills of 325 mg ferrous sulfate each (equivalent of 60 mg iron, I think).

WED bodies seem to eliminate iron instead of recycling it, or somehow otherwise have an iron dysfunction, and I wonder if he might experience symptom relief by taking more iron, enabling you to lower his dose of gabapentin. It's something to ask his doctors about - and if you're going to see Earley or Allen at Johns Hopkins, they're definitely the ones to ask, since they've done a lot of research into the iron connection in WED.

His Ferritin level was 54. We are cautious with medication because he has 1 kidney. I did contact Dr. Allen at John Hopkins, they don't treat pediatric patients. He referred me to a physician in Atlanta. Right now we have a treatment plan from our local pediatric neurologist. We started with 100mg of Neurontin and it appears to have worked however with the Thanksgiving break and able to actually sleep through the night and sleeping in, he has been hyper at bedtime. It has been enjoyable to see him come back to life an play with his brother and bike ride without being tired. He is having difficulty at night getting to sleep over the last 3 days. I think getting back to the school schedule will help otherwise the next step would be to increase his dosage to 200mg. We would like to hold off as long as we can.

I saw someone wrote in who takes theirs at 5pm. We may have to switch to this time also hoping the medication will start to take effect closer to his bedtime. I am happy to say he is sleeping through the night once he is asleep. I so appreciate all suggestions. This has been helpful in sorting things out for my son and our family. It is nice to be able to get in the car and actually not cringe.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Per Dr Allen, I was just wondering if they had any pediatric research concerning ferritin or knew of anyone who had. We know that 54 would be on the low side for an adult - but I have no idea what they know about children. That may be important right now regarding next steps.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

Maybe Dr Allen would be willing to answer your questions about ferritin in children? It can't hurt to try emailing him - I had his address at one point, but I think I got it off their website.

What a joy to know he's finding some relief. Insomnia is pretty common in treated WED, but hopefully it's just the holidays and lack of regimen. The gabapentin takes up to 2 hours to kick in (in adults).
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

AnnaM

Post by AnnaM »

I need to go back and look at the powerpoint from the webnair. I believe 40 was low normal for children and 50 acceptable.

AnnaM

Post by AnnaM »

Now that we are back on the school schedule, he has been going to sleep easier. We started his Neurontin at 5:30 with a hopeful bedtime at 8pm.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Ferritin of 50 was acceptable for children with WED, or just for children in general?

AnnaM

Post by AnnaM »

Ferritin of 50 and greater is acceptable for children only. The minimal level increases with age. I found this on the webnair "Children with RLS".