Friction Heat - My successful treatment plan

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
dholmes60614

Friction Heat - My successful treatment plan

Post by dholmes60614 »

I stumbled across this treatment while trying to treat my post-surgical CRPS in my foot. I am having success controlling my RLS symptoms by quickly rubbing feet back and forth on the carpet or on a towel for two minutes. I would repeat this up to 3 times. The generated friction heat and sensitivity overload on my soles seems to eliminate the restlessness in my calves enough to allow me to fall asleep or get through a plane ride. When I was treating my CRPS, I would walk around for two minutes before doing the two minute rubbing again, though the walking doesn't seem necessary for treatment of the RLS.

Polar Bear

Re: Friction Heat - My successful treatment plan

Post by Polar Bear »

I do hope your CRPS is improving. It is difficult when dealing with several disorders.

With regard to your WED/RLS I can see how the generated friction heat and overload could work offsetting your WED symptoms though I doubt it would work for me for more that a few very brief minutes. A bit like thumping your leg after bumping it on something hard.... diversionary tactics.

But very glad this is working for you.

Have you been officially diagnosed with WED/RLS, there is a certain criteria which includes walking/movment to relieve symptoms and you mention that walking doesn't seem necessary for the treatment of your symptoms.
In WED criteria..... we walk and walk and walk, jiggle, jump, walk walk.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Re: Friction Heat - My successful treatment plan

Post by badnights »

I think that the movement of the feet against the carpet counts as activating the muscles of the affected area, which in itself might be enough to to stop the WED.

Whether the friction on the soles also if of benefit is an interesting question. Remember the gentleman here a while back who was convinced that stimulation of the sole of the foot - the arch area - would dull the RLS/WED sensations because it countered a foot reflex of some kind that was uninhibited and running amok.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.