Using the CP (Chronic Pain) Relief Wand for RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Norm

Using the CP (Chronic Pain) Relief Wand for RLS

Post by Norm »

The CP Relief Wand is a new medical device for pain. It compresses the nerve and muscle tissue while delivering laminar neuro stimulation deep down to the symptom area. It works extremely well for my RLS. I am unable to take RLS medication. Now I use this device and sleep perfectly every night.

My RLS symptoms are from the knee down to my ankle. The symptoms are burning, itching, pain, twitching, crawling or anxiety feeling in the muscles, along with other odd feelings. After treatment with this device, all the symptoms disappear for the night. Doctors are prescribing this device when nothing else works for RLS and it works perfectly for me. This small device has completely changed my life.

ViewsAskew

Re: Using the CP (Chronic Pain) Relief Wand for RLS

Post by ViewsAskew »

So glad it is working so well for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Norm

Post by Norm »

Thank you for your kind words. I consider my self lucky compare to many who suffer from WED/RLS. I was told by my Neurologist that the Chronic Pain (CP) Relief Wand is a very useful tool for those that have serious symptoms of WED/RLS in the thighs or lower legs and have quality of life problems with medications. I could not take the medications. For those that can use medications treatment is easiest. It requires a demonstration to learn to use this medical device for WED/RLS since symptoms are often out of the ordinary and obscure. Using this device for pain is intuitive but once understood for WED, it is extremely easy to use. When this device is pressed over an RLS trigger point, a stinging is felt. After 10 - 60 seconds (depending on the intensity setting), the stinging disappears and that RLS symptom location is gone for 12-24 hours. Those that can get relief with exercise, medication, vibration, massage, diet, creams, or those who have less serious RLS symptoms, are not likely to want to use this device. Patients with serious symptoms and no other choice rave about it. The quality of their lives is completely turned around. I am one of those patients. :)

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Norm, I am happy that this is providing relief to you. But please understand that for many of us with the severe form of this disease that the problems are not confined to the legs. My doctor has said that the name should be changed to Restless Limb Disease, but even that does not cover it all. Personally, my symptoms involve my legs, my arms, my chest and my abdominal muscles. I suspect that my neck muscles are also involved, but cannot be certain that my neck isn't just a reaction to the stress posed to my upper body when my chest muscles are involved.
Also, I am like many where the word pain is only applicable in the medical sense of "a sensation that is not appropriate". I do not sense pain, just an overwhelming need to move that prevents me from being able to rest or sleep well.
So I am happy that the wand provides you relief from this terrible condition, but please understand that it is not going to be appropriate for everyone.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Steve, you remind me of some of my hypotheses. I think it's highly likely there are different types of WED/RLS. Because there are multiple genes involved, it would be strange if there weren't variations. One of these is painful, one is electrical. And, some people may have both genes and have a combo! There is no way I could describe my sensations as painful. I'd love to take a poll of all the people who've had the gaba drugs work and find out if they call their symptoms painful.

Could be that there is some type of trigger point for some form of RLS/WED. I have none - my sensations are diffuse and throughout my whole thigh or arm - it isn't located in one place. It's constant and seems to appear from nowhere. A while back someone posted about a similar concept - I truly searched for some starting point or something I could detect that if pressed or massaged would stop my symptoms. For me, there isn't any such thing.

I also believe - because it's happened here too many times - that non-RLS/WED symptoms that are easily confused with RLS/WED symptoms can occur together, causing a lot of confusion. We've had several people here misdiagnosed - they had either neuropathy instead of RLS/WED, or both together, but the neuropathy was missed. A similar thing happened to my brother. He's had WED for years - like me, since a child. At some point, though, he said it was much worse in his arms and his legs only bothered him once in awhile, but his arms every day. Last fall, he started losing sensation in his fingers. Turned out he had a type of spinal stenosis that was a defect from birth. All those years (15) of thinking he had RLS/WED in his arms and legs, turned out to be RLS/WED in his legs and some form of neuropathy or similar sensation in his arms. He truly couldn't tell them apart! It was worse when he went to bed, maybe because of the position.

Truly a complex disease, isn't it? I hope that everyone who doesn't find medication to work or who cannot take it tries some of these other treatments. Just like I hope a lot of people with WED also get tested for celiac. We're not all going to have celiac or neuropathy or whatever, but enough of us will, that it will help those who have no idea that they might not have RLS...or might have something else with RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Norm

Post by Norm »

Rustsmith

This why I consider myself lucky. Lucky to have WED/RLS only n the legs and have found a solution. I am sorry to hear of your misfortune to have it all over your body. It must be terrible if drugs are not a choice for you. The only thing I could recommend is exercise and body movement. I would also make sure my Neurologist knew every detail of my condition and he could talk to others and search for something to help. It also could be several different issues working tandem. My Neurologist said that he believes there are two separate factors causing RLS/WED.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Norm, since you are still new here you may want to use the search function to find out about some of us before attempting to offer specific advice. In my case, my RLS/WED has been under fairly good control using medication for the last two years. That has started to change a bit of late, but it just means that my doctor needs to make a change in my treatment. As for my doctor, I am fortunate to be able to see one of the leading experts in RLS in the US. He is both a physician and a researcher on RLS and is a medical adviser to the Foundation. Finally, your suggestion about exercise actually made me laugh. You see, I became a competitive runner at age 44. I have finished many marathons and just last week finished fourth in my age group in two different events at the US Masters Outdoor Nationals. Most people get lectures from their GP to lose weight, I get scolded if I lose more than one or two pounds from visit to visit.

Therefore, the only conclusion is that RLS comes in different forms and effects each of us in different ways. They have already identified six different genes with several SNPs on each that predispose us to RLS. So it only makes sense that depending upon which genes and SNPs you have (if it is hereditary) will influence the types of symptoms that you will get as well as the triggers and the effectiveness of various treatments.

PS - for anyone else reading this who quotes the directive of "moderate exercise", I actually do best on the nights where I have really hard workouts in the evening. I would do them more often, but that would only result in injury, I am pushing the edge as it is. I know this does cannot work for everyone so it is not something I would recommend, but if works for me!
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

Norm

Post by Norm »

Steve, Quite some accomplishments you have. It seems that everyone here lives on the edge. I live on the edge too. If the device I use quits working, I have nowhere else to go with my condition. So far so good on that. A good attitude is best for all. We really don't want to know the future.

You have taken exercise to the extreme. I applaud you in you competitive spirit. Exercise was the best for me too prior to something much better for me. I have a feeling you can handle whatever comes your way. I feel the same with my situation. Many here can't do that.