World's largest database of natural cures for RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
figflower

World's largest database of natural cures for RLS

Post by figflower »

This list of natural cures and personal stories, in and of itself, will put you to sleep:

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/rls-re ... rome2.html

badnights

Re: World's largest database of natural cures for RLS

Post by badnights »

interesting but not so useful - didn't get thru it all, maybe there's a gem hiding in there.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

figflower

Post by figflower »

I'm working my way through some of them. It's easy to do that when RLS is intermittent and not on any drugs. With that said, are you feeling lucky? Not at night, but during the day, when you have RLS, it's worth a gamble do you think. For under $20 you can try about four or five, sure cure, never fail, remedies, most of which can be purchased at a grocery store. I would try cream of tartar, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon in a cup of water. One teaspoon exceeds the RDA, 1/2 teaspoon is closer. Cream of tartar is going through a bit of a fad right now with alternative practitioners. I believe they get it from the residue in wine barrels. Kind of interesting. Costs about $2 in US. Should get rid of RLS in anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes. Next would be Indian Tonic Water which is one brand that supposedly still has some quinine in it. I've heard anywhere from a glass to a litre to get rid of RLS. Also probably costs a few dollars. Teaspoon or two of mustard in water, also a few dollars. Lastly, and most expensively, iron bis-glycinate, called Easy Iron or Gentle Iron, one tablet on an empty stomach during an attack. The iron and cream of tartar work for me when I have an attack. The iron more so and longer. The iron even worked when I had restless body of unimaginable proportion. 2 to 3 mg of melatonin and half a tablet of remeron for IBS and I'm writhing in bed like a snake. It was in my head and neck. I would throw my head back and arch my upper back in a vain attempt to alleviate. I found out about the iron on just such a site. It was a gift from above. So was my IBS. But for my IBS I would have bought any old iron and it wouldn't have worked and I would have given up.

So one time when you're sitting at your desk or trying to take a nap and can't because of RLS, try one of the above, wait an hour and then post on here how much you hate my suggestions. Then the next day or next time, try another sure cure and post again. When you get to the iron bis-glycinate your tune will change, I can practically guarantee it. Lastly, you can try to do relaxing, highly balance oriented yoga poses, like standing on one leg, especially with eyes closed. Then lay down and see if you have RLS? Supposedly the more a movement requires balancing, the more dopamine will be released. How long that dopamine will last you once you lay down is a big question mark. Oh yah, orgasm (not just sex) gives me about 15 to 20 minutes of relief from RLS. Sometimes that's enough to fall asleep, sometimes not, and I have to run for the iron.

figflower

Post by figflower »

Tablespoon of mustard on some cabbage (couldn't do the "in a glass of water" thing) didn't seem to do much for RLS attack I had the other day. What a surprise. Still, I will try again, on an empty stomach. After that...tonic water. The more I read about iron, the less I like it. Hard on liver, gi tract and some indication that there is a higher incidence of type II diabetes among those that have higher stores. Mine is around 100. I would like to get it back down to around 50, which I could probably do if I find something else to take during attacks.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Fig - explain again why you want your iron stores low when every WED/RLS doctor wants them high?

I should just look for your post on it - but - from memory - are you are thinking this way?:
we need iron in our brain cells. The high ferritin is a consequence of taking oral iron, which both increases the iron that crosses the blood-brain barrier to provide iron to brain cells, and also increases stores of iron in the body, which can have bad effects.

So you want some way to increase iron in the brain without increasing it elsewhere in the body. Is that it?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

67java89

Post by 67java89 »

figflower wrote:Tablespoon of mustard on some cabbage (couldn't do the "in a glass of water" thing) didn't seem to do much for RLS attack I had the other day. What a surprise. Still, I will try again, on an empty stomach. After that...tonic water. The more I read about iron, the less I like it. Hard on liver, gi tract and some indication that there is a higher incidence of type II diabetes among those that have higher stores. Mine is around 100. I would like to get it back down to around 50, which I could probably do if I find something else to take during attacks.

My mom suggested a teaspoon of French's mustard before bed and it didn't help. Ditto for the bar of soap. Maybe those people for whom it works don't have it as severely. Also tried the magnesium supplements for a good while and bath in Epsom salt. No luck.
Sleep is a basic need.

67java89

Post by 67java89 »

Thanks for this...I'll check it out!
Sleep is a basic need.