Iron Deficient, do I have to take drugs too?

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
lyric

Iron Deficient, do I have to take drugs too?

Post by lyric »

I have been tested with a ferritin level of 6, but I have all the energy I've always had! Shouldn't I be exhausted all the time? I thought, when I was tired during the day, that it was just from the RLS. I'm not anemic because my hemoglobin levels are fine. My doc prescribed Miropex, but I'm wondering if I could just take Iron suppliments and that would be enough to help the RLS. Anyone had this experience? I don't want to start a drug if I don't have to!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ferritin is your iron stores, not the iron in your blood (that's what the hemoglobin tests). Low iron is your blood is what makes you tired. Mine was 8 at the lowest and I felt fine.

Yes, yes, yes! Take iron! About 20% of people with low ferritin levels have complete remission of RLS when they get their ferritin to 50 or higher. Another 40% have a reduction in symptoms. Of course, that leaves 40% that it doesn't help at all, but it's worth trying. Must have it checked periodically, though.

325 mg iron sulfate (can't remember how much actual iron that it, but it's the standard dose OTC) 3X a day, preferably with some vitamin C and on an empty stomach. If you can't handle it, eat it with food. You will get constipated. . .lots of fiber or fiber supplements required.

Ann

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

I also had a very low ferritin level and tried taking iron supplements to take care of the RLS. No luck, I'm now on Mirapex and doing well at the moment.

Give the iron a try before adding Mirapex, it would be wonderful if you could get relief from that alone. Best,

Heron

lyric

How Long!?

Post by lyric »

How long should I take the iron before I take the Miropex?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, it depends. You have to get your ferritin to at least 50. Since you are at 6 now, it could take you 4-8 months!!! If you can it tolerate well and take it an hour before food with some vitamin C or 2 hours after food with vitamin C and remember it 3 times every day, it will happen more quickly than if you have to take it with food.

Taking it was not a pleasant experience for me and it took me longer. You may not be able to wait that long for it to work, depending on how bad your symptoms, too.

You do have to have regular blood tests if you do it. Please don't do it without them. Too much iron causes a condition, hemachromotosis, so always get tested. You can go as high as 200 before you get close to that point.

Ann

lyric

Post by lyric »

Well, the Ferrous Sulfate hasn't been doing much of anything bad to me, so we'll see how long that lasts!

Thanks for all the info!

Kristin

rjlong33

iron

Post by rjlong33 »

hi i have to take iron IVs and medication and it dont work for me at all does anybody have any new ideals? please help

trevb

Post by trevb »

lyric,

make sure you take plenty of fibre and fruit etc with the iron tablets as it can give you a bit of constipation!!

it'll make your poo black too so dont panic too much if you notice that!! :wink:

trevb

Post by trevb »

rj,
what meds are you on and how long for?