Kratom is working for me

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SnOman

Re: Kratom is working for me

Post by SnOman »

Places I trust and still currently order from:
Phytoextractum.com (Portland)
mmmspeciosa.com (Texas)
botanicalwellness.com (Kentucky / Ohio)

Red Borneo powdered leaf variety seems to be the best for nighttime. In general the red vein varieties are best for evening, green and white are generally better for daytime symptoms. I make a tea with the powder. I squeeze the juice from 1/2 of a lemon into a tea cup. Then I dump in a measured amount of powder and stir it around until it is like sludge. I let it sit while I boil water, then pour in the hot water, add lots of honey and a small amt of raspberry lemons I and stir it up. As I drink it I continue to stir, often adding more water and honey 3-4 times until all the powder has been swallowed. The extra water is good as speciosa can be dehydrating. Various strains may or may not bother your stomach, I find some do and some don't... I stick to the ones that don't. I find the red veins to be most gentle on my stomach. Starting out, I would order 25-50 grams to see if it is something that could work for you. There are many opinions on the best way to drink or swallow the powder, but most agree it doesn't taste delicious. Please check on the legality of Kratom/speciosa in your State, as I believe it is currently illegal in 3-4 states.

lhoff12085

Post by lhoff12085 »

jul2873, Thanks so much. I just looked at their site. Is there a reason you buy the crushed leaves rather than the powder? Laura

Just saw the reply from snoman also - Thank You for the additional info.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Hi Laura,

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure which I buy--the crushed leaf or the powder. Actually, I think it's the powder as it is very fine. But I'm not sure, and I have no idea what the difference is. Whatever I'm taking works very well.

GmelT

Post by GmelT »

I agree with Ihoff12085. This is worth a try. To be honest, after reading the medical marijuana article in Night Walkers and the article by NatWest in this forum, I tried medical marijuana. I received no benefit from it. I'm hoping this Kratom will have better results.

Bess

Post by Bess »

Wow never heard of this stuff, I am going to try it!

Bess

Post by Bess »

Tried it... both Indo and Bali have a stimulating effect on me, pleasant but definitely not useful for getting to sleep. I had such a strong reaction with the euphoria the second time I took some (only 3/4 teaspoon!) that I'm scared to take more to see if more will have a sedating effect. Still, it's nice stuff, definitely an awesome tea to drink on a bad mood day.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

The Red Vein Borneo is supposed to have the most sedating effect. Personally, I've found that it doesn't sedate me as much as stop the RLS symptoms, which then allows me to sleep. 3/4 of a tsp. would be a large dose for me. I take just 1/2 tsp. unless I'm in a place where I know the symptoms will really flare, like on a plane.

As far as the euphoria, that will probably wear off pretty soon if you keep taking it. It's how people get in trouble with kratom, chasing its euphoric effect. You don't develop much of a tolerance for its pain-relieving properties, but you do quickly develop a tolerance for its euphoric qualities. There is quite a lot about that in the one book I've found that has solid research: Kratom and Other Mitragynines: The Chemistry and Pharmacology of Opioids from a Non-Opium Source by Robert B. Raffa

Did it help with your RLS symptoms?

Bess

Post by Bess »

I haven't had daytime symptoms recently and I've been too scared to try it at night because it seems to keep me up... but yesterday I got what I'm going to call "neurological fatigue" (basically I get this weird wave of inexplicable sudden, severe fatigue that is accompanied by odd sensations in my leg, almost like "pre-RLS" sensations) and the Kratom worked beautifully for that. So it's doing something good... and this time I definitely didn't get the euphoria despite having the same amount, so I must've already developed a tolerance for that aspect.

edelman2

Post by edelman2 »

Where do people get kratom from and how do they use it? Following 3 websites mentioned I took the information from the thread

Postby SnOman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:55 pm

Places I trust and still currently order from:
Phytoextractum.com (Portland)
mmmspeciosa.com (Texas)
botanicalwellness.com (Kentucky / Ohio)

Red Borneo powdered leaf variety seems to be the best for nighttime. In general the red vein varieties are best for evening, green and white are generally better for daytime symptoms. I make a tea with the powder. I squeeze the juice from 1/2 of a lemon into a tea cup. Then I dump in a measured amount of powder and stir it around until it is like sludge. I let it sit while I boil water, then pour in the hot water, add lots of honey and a small amt of raspberry lemons I and stir it up. As I drink it I continue to stir, often adding more water and honey 3-4 times until all the powder has been swallowed. The extra water is good as speciosa can be dehydrating. Various strains may or may not bother your stomach, I find some do and some don't... I stick to the ones that don't. I find the red veins to be most gentle on my stomach. Starting out, I would order 25-50 grams to see if it is something that could work for you. There are many opinions on the best way to drink or swallow the powder, but most agree it doesn't taste delicious. Please check on the legality of Kratom/speciosa in your State, as I believe it is currently illegal in 3-4 states

Mitragyna speciosa - Red Vein Borneo Kratom Powder
the website stated:
This product is not intended for internal use. It is offered for research, reference standard, or as an incense product for external use only.
This was found on http://www.phytoextractum.com/ and I do not understand if it is a product one
can take internally or not. Please advise

On http://www.mmmspeciosa.com/red-vein-tha ... r-10g.html there is no such
Warning but red vein is used as fragrance Home /
• Red Vein Thai Powder - 10g

Quick Overview
10g Red Vein Thai Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) leaves from mature Indonesian trees, with medium/upper spectrum fragrance profile and milled to a fine grind.

Details
Red Vein Thai Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) powder is an excellent variety sourced from Indonesia and harvested from mature trees. As kratom fragrance goes, Red Vein Thai provides an medium/upper spectrum profile and is of high quality. We import Red Vein Thai in crushed leaf form and mill it locally to a fine grind.

botanicalwellness.com about kratom states

** Unfortunately, we are unable to answer any emails which contain references to the human consumption of any FDA-unapproved products, or any questions regarding medical claims that have not been evaluated by the FDA. This is from botancalwellnes.com
Mitragyna speciosa - Red Vein Borneo Kratom Powder

So were on those 3 sites can one find kratom powder that is used for internal consumption?

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Hey Guys, Is it bad to take this everynight? Did you have sxs everynight before you took kratom... Are you taking other meds with it?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You can find kratom on hundreds of sites. These are just three that this person found helpful with apparently consistent dosages.

Bad to take everynight? We do not know. There are few studies - it's not a pharmaceutical. That said, many people here do take it everynight and have for a year or longer. I'd suggest reading through the many other threads about it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Kratom is not allowed to be sold in the U.S. as a nutritional supplement. In order for the FDA to approve it as a dietary supplement, there needs to be research showing its safety. This website explains the problem:

"In order for a supplement, herb or novel food item to be approved for consumption by the FDA, it requires a massive amount of capital and a lengthy trial process. This procedure can cost upwards of $50 million and can take several years before a conclusion is reached. The main problem is that one business may decide to spend the $50 million to push through the approval process, but once it has been given the green light, any number of competitors can jump into the market to start selling their product at a cheaper price and undercut the original sponsor. This set-up makes it very unlikely that one company will choose to shoulder the burden of paying for approval." http://kratomonline.org/kratom-usa/

This is why no seller will talk with you about using kratom for internal consumption. It is a legal plant (in all but three states) but since it has not been approved for human consumption, sellers can only sell it as plant, not a food. If the FDA thinks someone is selling it for consumption, they will confiscate it.

This is certainly a downside for using kratom, as it means there is no safety testing going on. I take it anyway, as it seems to me it's the best of not-great options available to me. We know the DA's have side effects and frequently (always?) cause augmentation. Kratom works, for me anyway, and carries no side effects. Would I rather take something investigated and approved by the FDA? Sure. But since I can't find anything else, I'm willing to take this risk.

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

so I ordered primo indio... didnt know if i got the right one but it is coming out to me in the next couple of days....I did look at the websit the last person posted... is it the red vein horned kratom the correct one that helps the rls at night? Sorry to be specific... Didnt sleep well last night

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I see that red vein horned kratom is a strain of red leaf Borneo, so it should be fine. Although, to tell you the truth, I don't notice much difference, except in a maeng da variety. Maeng da is a little stronger, I think, and gave me a bit of a problem with constipation.

Some nights I sleep well; some I don't. But I blame it on the underlying RLS rather than the kratom. Without kratom I don't think I'd be sleeping at all. Good luck to you.

SnOman

Post by SnOman »

I currently order almost exclusively from Phytoextractum. They always have 20%-25% off on Mondays. Once in a great while I still order from mmmspeciosa. Both have been very consistent with product quality, but Phytoextractum is much cheaper. For sleeping at night, Horned Red and Red Borneo are my first choices. Both seem to be mildly stimulating at first, but after about 1/2 hr I can fall asleep just fine. It helps me when my Tramadol 300 ER is not able to cover symptoms well enough to fall asleep (most nights - mild breakthrough, but just enough to keep me from falling asleep).

The primo indo or super indo has really bothered my stomach in the past, and may be more stimulating than a red borneo would be.
Good Luck, sleep well