anasthesia

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
edelman2

anasthesia

Post by edelman2 »

I have a root canal coming up How do I know what anesthesia to use? My dentist is as buffled as I am? She is refusing to do it till
I figure out what to do? Tried 2 other dentists, they never heard of rls and have no idea what to do either. At least mine has and
I'm comfortable with her as a dentist. please help

Polar Bear

Re: anasthesia

Post by Polar Bear »

When I've had root canal treatment it was done with a local/numbing anaesthetic.
I made sure I was well medicated for my RLS/WED beforehand so that I could rest easy in the dental chair.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I've had quite few root canal treatments with local anaesthetics and never had any RLS-related problem.

In surgery under general anaesthesia I've had some semi-serious problems until I learned to tell the anaesthesiologist I am sensitive to some anaesthetics.
In my experience, docs want to know, they don't want unnecessary and unexpected problems.
The RLS website has a brochure to help with surgery.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Like the other responders, my root canals were all done under the same local anesthesia that my dentist uses for regular fillings. The only issue that I had was when the anesthesia started to wear off a bit quicker than the dentist thought normal. An injection and a few minutes wait fixed that.

One additional thought, I believe that all of my root canal work was done in the morning when I would have been far less likely to have any RLS related issues.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

As previously mentioned there is a leaflet available from the Foundation with regard to Surgery and the RLS Patient.
This particular publication is available to paid up members.
The Foundation can be reached via the link in my signature.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation