Over the Counter RLS Treatments

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jul2873

Over the Counter RLS Treatments

Post by jul2873 »

For years, until my WED got so bad, I used a variety of OTC treatments--creams and oils for my legs, some pills, even some oil that you put in the small of your back. But when the disease progressed to every day, these OTC treatments stopped working very well. I discovered kratom, and that has become my treatment. Kratom works very well, on the whole, but lately I've had to take a little more to make it work. I'm not sure if the disease is progressing again, or if I'm developing a little tolerance. My guess is that it's a bit of both.

So the other day, when I was cleaning out cupboards and found a bag of my old OTC treatments, I decided to try them again to see if any still worked. What do you know! I found that, if the WED wasn't too severe at that moment, some worked. None of them work at 1 a.m. when the WED really likes to rage, and I need a double dose of kratom to subdue it, but they work in the early afternoon, when I'm trying to nap, and in the early morning, when I'm awake but want to stay in bed a little longer.

This is really quite a benefit for me, as it allows me to cut back on the amount of kratom I need and so, hopefully, keep from really raising my tolerance level. I don't know how long I'll get any benefit from these OTC treatments. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped working again after a bit. But then I may try some others. My guess is I build up a tolerance to them quickly. But I'm hoping that if I find enough of them, I can keep switching stuff around and so not develop much of a tolerance to anything.

I've also just gotten a TENS unit, and I'll see how I can work that into the mix. I have to say I feel pretty cheerful now, having all of these other options that help.

ViewsAskew

Re: Over the Counter RLS Treatments

Post by ViewsAskew »

That's always good news!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

So when you've figured out which ones still work, will you post about them here? :)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Well, so far something called "Natures' Inventory Night Time Leg Calm--which is an oil you put on the base of your spine--seems to help a bit. Also MagniLife Restless Leg Cream, which I spread on my legs. Also Hylands Restful Legs--little white pills that you put under your tongue--seem to help. Also, an electronic pulse messager helps, but it's kind of odd. I use it sometimes in the afternoon, and for the hour after I use it the RLS tends to flare, and I need to walk around. But then my legs are quiet until evening.

I'm guessing I'll develop a tolerance to all of these pretty quickly, so I'm just using them to fill in when I'm trying to decrease my kratom use, so I don't develop a tolerance to it. Kratom is still very much my go-to drug.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hmmm... the Natures Inventory Night Time Calm.... I tried that one, had it sent from the USA to UK (twice) ... didn't help me (twice).
But well done that you are having some benefit.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

branti

Post by branti »

I was going to post about this new cream that I've recently found, a cream that stops my symptoms in less than 10 minutes. I decided to do a search first & to my surprise found 2 results, So I can also attest to the fact that this Restless Legs cream by Magnilife does work. We were on vacation & just happened to see this cream on the drugstore shelf while picking ip suntan lotion. Figured why not get it, have it available if necessary. Well, it worked, so we went back to the store & bought every jar they had. This product isn't available in Canada, or at least not where we live. Not sure which ingredient in the cream makes it effective, or maybe its the combination. It has aloe, benzocaine (this may be the one), magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, lavender oil & a number of other ingredients.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I don't think there would be much benzocaine in an over-the-counter product.
It is possible that the massage effect is of some benefit.
It's good that you are receiving some benefit, please do report back and let us know if it continues to help.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

GoingMad

Post by GoingMad »

jul2873 wrote:Well, so far something called "Natures' Inventory Night Time Leg Calm--which is an oil you put on the base of your spine--seems to help a bit. Also MagniLife Restless Leg Cream, which I spread on my legs. Also Hylands Restful Legs--little white pills that you put under your tongue--seem to help. Also, an electronic pulse messager helps, but it's kind of odd. I use it sometimes in the afternoon, and for the hour after I use it the RLS tends to flare, and I need to walk around. But then my legs are quiet until evening.

I'm guessing I'll develop a tolerance to all of these pretty quickly, so I'm just using them to fill in when I'm trying to decrease my kratom use, so I don't develop a tolerance to it. Kratom is still very much my go-to drug.

My RLS only flares up after I've been in bed long enough to almost be asleep. I've been using Nature's Inventory Night Time Leg Calm for over three years. I've had pretty good success with it. Because the instructions advise against using it until the symptoms occur, I usually wait until the jerks get fairly annoying, then slather the stuff on my lower back and vigorously massage in. It doesn't always work, but I'm going to give it a solid 80% of the time. I always have extra on hand. It's pleasantly aromatic too, giving off something that smells a bit of eucalyptus. I've tried other oils to determine if it was this oil, or just oils in general. Other oils have done nothing. I'd like to note that I'm pretty skeptical of the healing powers of essential oils, but this one actually works for me.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Because the instructions advise against using it until the symptoms occur, I usually wait until the jerks get fairly annoying, then slather...
I have to wonder, when I read this, do you have WED/RLS? The primary symptom is an urge to move, and almost always there are nasty sensations too. Jerking is not a symptom, yet you chose to summarize your RLS/WED experience with that word. Maybe that's why this lotion can help some people and not others: because some have a different problem.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.