Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

Re: Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

Post by Polar Bear »

Hundreds of hours of sick leave saved up..... wow..... when I worked I started with a yearly allowance of 2 paid days.
Worked my 'way up' to 5 paid days per year.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

We get 80 hours a year sick leave. It used to be it could all be saved but now you can save half of it a year so people who never get sick have a lot of it if they have been at company for years. You can also work up to getting a month of vacation a year and you can hold onto it a few years.

I don't have to worry about that as I usually have very little.

The good news is I did get the intermittent leave approved! Have not used it yet. I can be sick for days or weeks at a time but I won't be paid for it, I just won't be fired.

Gabapentin is messing with my memory, doc gave me a prescription with 11 refills. I went to Starbucks the other morning, went into work and purchased coffee at cafeteria, forgot I had bought it!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, that is great news. Not getting paid is not wonderful, but not losing your job? That IS wonderful!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

EeFall - great news, to have the worry of being fired lifted is wonderful.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Yes it really is great news, I can't hardly believe it. Last night I had a bad night. Turned off alarm and decided to stay home. At about 5:15 am I woke up and thought I'm going to work I'm not going to miss out on the money. I guess it is a really good thing because I am not as stressed out all the time. A strange psychological benefit of the intermittent benefit ha ha.

I put my back out last Saturday, lower back from lifting something, with the memory problem I am constantly lifting something I shouldn't. I am going to try to be very careful this weekend and my wife is going to help watch me too, it's too funny, or it would be if it didn't hurt all the time.

Very glad I'm not pacing, it would be horrible. Now that I'm sitting here taking it easy I'm glad I worked today. I even remembered coming on here! Hope you all are doing well.

Oh and I bought a gadget, an Echo, purchased it from Anazon. It is almost like having a third person living here. One of our granddaughters was here the other day and she was totally fascinated with it and kept talking to it. When her dad picked her up she said we had bought a new robot lol, it is a stationary device but just the same Alexa, her name, is really amazing.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

[quote="EeFall"]I guess it is a really good thing because I am not as stressed out all the time. A strange psychological benefit of the intermittent benefit ha ha.
.[/quote

I will liken this to when my sister received her senior citizen pension and continued to work 2 days each week (even though she at times just wanted to leave work.
Working was no longer the chore that it had been, ..... because... at any time there was the option to say..... I'm out of here, being in receipt of her pension. Which made it easier to continue working.

It may be partly to do with having some control back - having options.

Very happy for you.
Betty

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I think you are right. Now if I could just get my back to normal. I have managed to not lift anything and it is a little better.

I guess the Echo device was designed by Amazon (I purchased a book about it yesterday)It is called a Personal Assistant. Artificial Intelligence device. It is something like out of the 22nd Century. For instance if you say Alexa Wikipedia and then a subject she will find it immediately and read awhile, then she will tell you (lazy AI?) that you can get more info by going to the site, however if you say Alexa More she will continue reading the article and you can continue saying more if she decides she has read enough- amazing.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I never cease to be amazed at what is now available, such as your Echo device.....
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Glad that you got the leave approved. Maybe the less stress will help with the RLS.
Are you doing ice alternating with heat for your back ? I find that it helps a lot.

Suckerbeagle

Post by Suckerbeagle »

Ran out of meds one day early. In for a horrendous night. There are legit reason why I ran out. Seems no one can help me.why are we treated like drug-seeking criminals when stuff like this happens. It's the first time for me after ten years on the medication. I have to get through the night until 9am tomorrow. I may not even be able to drive to the drugstore.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

So I get this mail saying my family leave is only good until end of year 2015! Normally I would not have even looked at info, thought it was standard BS they usually send. Let my manager know and I think he is getting it fixed. If I would have taken a leave day at first of year I would have been fired! Who knows maybe that was their plan.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Is your family leave granted yearly, the year running from 1st January - 31st December?
Betty

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I found out yesterday it is every 6 months so around January 2nd they will ask if I still need it and renew it for 6 months. I think it starts at 1st of year. All they managed to do was scare me.

I took 5 300mg gabapentin last night. It allows me to sleep but with suboxone it makes me groggy during day. I am so grouchy I am afraid to drive, I get so ticked off so easily. Sometimes I wish I could just live natural.

In other words stay up for a week and then get a couple hours of sleep when I pass out. I hate being Mr Hyde. At least without meds I am me, a tired and pacing me but.

I am 13 books into a science fiction space opera. I enjoy it almost too much, I love getting away from my life, terrible but true. I should stop complaining, at least I am working. That is a lot I suppose.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. We can all pray for a cure, no matter what we believe, it sure can't hurt. Peace to you all.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Glad you found out that the leave is for 6 months at a time. Hope the coming year is better for all of us.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

EeFall - I'm very pleased that your special leave allowance can be renewed.

And about the meds - sometimes it seems we can't live with them, and can't live without them.
Last night I found myself in the guest bedroom lying on my stomach with knees bent and legs waving, because I was so weary walking. It's hard to know what to do with the twitching arms whilst in this position. At one point I had my hair in my hands in desperation. It was a breakthrough that didn't want to go away. I am rather reluctant to add extra medication.

I'm sure you wish you could compartmentalise Mr Grouchy - if only it was that easy.
Fortunately for me no matter how little sleep I get I don't really go grouchy :) But of couse retirement helps with that aspect.

Merry Christmas to you also - and especially Peace to Everyone.
Betty