Kratom is working for me

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
stjohnh

Re: Kratom is working for me

Post by stjohnh »

All kratom sold in the US is "not for human consumption" because the FDA wont approve it as a supplement.
Blessings,
Holland

tommy108

Post by tommy108 »

This is an amazing thread -- with what seems to be a happy ending. I am touched by the people who reach out and share their knowledge. Nice to know Kratom is on the back-burner if it comes to that for me. Before I joined this forum four days ago, I had never heard of this.

jmg416

Post by jmg416 »

stjohnh wrote:I have been using Kratom for the past 5 days now, while I have been withdrawing from the dopamine Agonist neupro. I mix three-quarters of a teaspoon with approximately two tablespoons of grapefruit juice, let it sit at least 20 minutes and make sure it's ice cold before drinking it. The bitterness of the kratom compliments the bitterness of the grapefruit juice. Relief starts in 20 - 30 minutes.

Kratom works for me better than Tramadol, fewer side effects and better relief. For me prescription opiates work better but have more side effects than kratom.

I'm going to highly disagree on your point that the prescription opiods, but I'm very curious what the side effects were that you had trouble dealing with.

I just came off Kratom 10 days ago due to the unbearable side effects. I was thinking of asking the neurologist for tramadol as a replacement. I've taken Tramadol before on a short term basis and never had any issues. But short term side effects and long term ones can differ greatly as I have learned with the kratom.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Hi JMG416. I'm sorry that kratom is not working for you anymore and I am very curious what the side effects were. I've taken kratom every day for the last three years, and have only had a bit of constipation, which I can manage. Perhaps you were taking more? I take usually 6-8 grams a day.

jmg416

Post by jmg416 »

jul2873 wrote:Hi JMG416. I'm sorry that kratom is not working for you anymore and I am very curious what the side effects were. I've taken kratom every day for the last three years, and have only had a bit of constipation, which I can manage. Perhaps you were taking more? I take usually 6-8 grams a day.

My problem is I naturally tend towards drug seeking, and that always leads to me taking more and more kratom. So after 2 drug vacations to reset my tolerance over that last couple of years I decided to dump it for good. I may never sleep again, but it is already so much better 10 days later. So it is safe to say I was taking less than you after a tolerance reset, but way more than you just a few months later.

I would guess that as long as you keep your dosage level and you aren't seeing side effects that you should be fine. Though I don't know where you live, but there is a bill in NY that may make it illegal next year.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My next goal is to stop methadone for at least a month and see if my receptors reset - I have had tolerance for many years. I have gone up to 3 weeks using pramipexole with only 5 mg methadone per day - normally I take 25-30 mg methadone over a ten-12 hour period. I didn't have trouble doing that, but I am a bit concerned how I will handle stopping it completely this time. I've stopped it twice before without issue.

At any rate, my plan is to use kratom to help with any withdrawal I might have. I received a red strain earlier today; last week I received a free sample and tried it, but it was ma daeng - so I used it in the daytime.

I took it tonight to see what it was like. 1/2 t replaced the 2.5 mg methadone I'd normally take. Then the pramipexole. And, now, before bed, I took more kratom. I can feel my legs are about to start - mild, but definitely winding and moving while I type. I'm not ready to stop it tonight, so I'll likely just take a bit more methadone tonight. But, I am sleepy - more so than I normally am - eyes are drooping. So, if it counteracts the pramipexole side effects of waking me up, I'll be thrilled.

With the ma daeng, I tried multiple methods to take it. I couldn't get the powder to stay suspended in the liquid and lots would stick to the side of the cup, so I after trying a few things, I added a flavorless fiber supplement. I normally use this in GF baking and sometimes add a bit to salad dressing. Chia would work, too, as would flax. But, I used psyllium as it doesn't have much flavor. It worked great! With some grapefruit juice and the fiber, it stiffened up so that I could spoon it and didn't get stuck to the cup. I did add a bit of stevia tonight - the new grapefruit juice hubby bought is so tart I couldn't take it, lol.

So, here I am, more tired than usual and not wanting to stay up - that is a great thing.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I get a headache from kratom if I don't drink enough water, as it can dehydrate you. I keep a glass of filtered water on the kitchen counter by the refrigerator, and drink as much of it as I can when I take a kratom dose out of the refrigerator. That pretty much stops the headaches.

I can sleep with ma daeng, but it is the one kratom that makes me constipated. I think it's stronger than the red borneo I usually take. It is often labeled "pimp's grade". I keep some ma daeng in the refrigerator for a severe RLS attack. Ann, if you let a gram or two of kratom sit in a cup of orange juice for at least twenty minutes, in the refrigerator, and then shake it up, it isn't too bad, and it does dissolve. Just remember that kratom is not water soluable, but does dissolve in acid. As long as it's cold, and I've added enough orange juice, it isn't bad to drink. It's awful warm, and I'm sitting on a train now dreading my next dose as I have no refrigerator to keep it cold. Good luck with it!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I didn't mind the flavor so much as there was so much residue on the cup afterward - I tried less grapefruit juice, more, didn't seem to matter. But it suspends nicely with the psyllium and I can drink/spoon it immediately. And, since I'm still using an opioid, every bit of extra fiber is a very good thing!

I didn't have a problem sleeping with the ma daeng, either. Oddly, I had more difficulty last night with the red. I was awake a LOT - it's as if it potentiated the pramipexole side effect of having ADD brain. I couldn't even do breath counting for more than 2 breaths before I was off on another tangent. Not being able to stop my brain is a huge issue with pramipexole and if the red makes it worse, I'll be trying other strains. I am going to order a sample later today just to see which one works best with the pramipexole.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Let us know how you do. I'm so glad more people are trying kratom, as it's great to hear about others' experiences. What I do, when my mind is too busy at night, is put an audio book in my iPod, and listen to it in bed. I almost always fall asleep quickly then (and lose my place in the book. Small price.) I find it can't be a "page-turner" type book, as I'll stay awake to see what's going to happen. Old favorites, that have a style I love, work best.

Rcure

Post by Rcure »

Which strains are people finding helpful for rls and anxiety? I read that some trains have a stimulating effect like caffeine. I would think someone with rls should avoid these strains as caffeine can make rls worse. I'm thinking of trying kratom but don't really know where to start and figure this is probably my best place.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Red vein borneo is probably most used for rls. The reds are sedating, the whites and greens more energetic.

This is one vendor commonly used
https://www.socalherbalremedies.com/product/red-borneo/
1 oz is plenty to see how it works for you. 1oz is 28 grams. 1/2 tsp is about 1 gram.

First dose 1/4 tsp. If no effect in an hour repeat. Usual doses are 1/2-1 tsp. Very bitter. Best mixed w ice cold grapefruit juice or put in capsules.
Blessings,
Holland

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

What size capsules do you get ?

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

debbluebird wrote:What size capsules do you get ?

Size 00
I use a capsule filling device. Quickly make 24 capsules. One capsule holds 300-500mg depending on how you fill them.
http://www.phytoextractum.com/buy-the-c ... ne-size-00
Blessings,
Holland

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thanks

Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Be careful! I used kratom a few times and now I am having liver problems. I don't know that it was that but I think it was.