Central Apnea, Methadone Withdrawal, and Other Trials and Tribulations

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
debbluebird

Re: Central Apnea, Methadone Withdrawal, and Other Trials and Tribulations

Post by debbluebird »

Legs were painful la d t night and during the day. Very strong PLM.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Everything that I've given myself can't be good for rhe central sleep apnea. Gabapentin, Norco, Kratom, and Ambien. All spread out throughout the night. My legs were a little quieter in the early evening. I actually fell asleep for a few minutes until my husband woke me up. He didn't know. My PLMs had been so strong earlier. Now, they are almost as strong. Took my last Kratom just now. I've got the hang of that now.
Kratom, I use a plastic cup with a lid. I pour in about 1/4 cup of juice. Pour in 1 teasp Kratom. Give it a little shake then into the refrigerator. It is all set up for the next dose. So the next time I'm going to have it, give it a bigger shake and it's easy to drink.
I think it is helping with the PLMs.
I go back to the doctor in the morning. I still don't have the new bipap machine.
I'm not as irrational without the Mirapex. Just feek a little druk. Well, back to bed to see what happens.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad the kratom is helping. The meds definitely can cause all kinds of crappy side effects with our emotions.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Well, no luck. My primary doctor won't write for an opioid without talking to the sleep / pulmonary doctor. She us putting call into him . Also found out that the respiratory company never got the order for my new bipap. I have called four times. It's only been since May 19. I did get a call earlier from pulmonary office, stating I have an appointment Aug. 2. Needless to say, I've about lost it. My friend thinks, I should show up to an emergency room. Actually I don't think that would help, knowing what I know. They would just think that I was drug seeking.
I'm done.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

What an awful time you're having, frustrating doesn't begin to cover it !!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry, Deb.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

My legs are being pulled so hard tonight, making the muscles so very sore, that I'm feeling discouraged. I've taken what I'm allowed and it isn't enough. I don't know what to do.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

So last night was bad. Somehow, my legs finally quit and I went to sleep around 3 am. Another thing, I didn't take my Aricept. About a week ago the PA had me doubled it. She said "they" were treating RLS with it and she wanted me to double it. I don't have dementia, it is memory loss from sleep deprivation, but it seems to help. Last night I was going to go back to half, but wasn't up to messing with it. I didn't take it. Now I'm beginning to wonder. I am so sensitive to any meds, I think I won't take it for awhile to see what happens. My legs usually keep me from sleeping during the day without meds, so I don't know hw I slept so long.
I got a call from my doctor i afternoon. She got a hold of PA , pulmonary, who are managing my bipap. He said I could restart methadone only 5 mg for the whole night. But, I am to stop it again when I get the bipap machine. Oh, it seems oxygen place never got the order for new machine, from May 19, even though I've called at least four times and they never said anything. Ordering doctor said he would take care of that.
I have decided that I will play their games, messing with my life, to see what happens.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ugh.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

I have decided that I will play their games, messing with my life, to see what happens.
I hate when I give in and agree to be guinea pig for a new doctor. But I do give in. There's no other way to get them on board.

You're surviving dreadful times, Deb. I wonder what's at the other end of it? Relief of some kind, from some unexpected place? I hope. And why not.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Well, taking Methadone 5 mg doesn't help at all. First, before I took it, I had some PLSs in the evening. They then stopped for whatever reason. I only had Gabapentin and Kratom in me. Decided to take the Methadone around 9:30 pm. I was sleepy, but could not go to sleep. PLMs started up again about 1:30 am and have not stopped. I'm now thinking, why bother with the Methadone. Not sure what to do. I guess, just wait and see. At least it has been an easier period of time. If I've take it tomorrow night, I will wait for a later time.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I was up all night. Slept a little between 6 am and 9 am, but had RLS during the whole time and awake. I finally just got up.
I have figured out one thing, either my RLS is extreem and or I will never be able to sleep without a lot of drugs. The Kratom didn't help. Or at least I couldn't tell.
The bad news is the current doctors won't give me more. I'm thinking that sleep will only be allowed when I pass out from exhaustion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, 5 mg wouldn't do squat for me, either. If I were awake, it would be fine, but as soon as I tried to rest a bit, I'd be crazy.

I find that the kratom helps me sleep and keep me asleep, much as gabapentin would do. If it helps the RLS/PLMS, it's very, very slightly. I definitely could not get by on that alone.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Friday morning I was supposed to go by the clinic to pick up a script for the Methadone 5 mg tabs. While I was there I sort of fell apart, since I was so exhausted. Ended up seeing the PA. Long story short, we drove to town, 2 hrs away, and went to ER. My PA was hoping they would check me into hospital for sleep. I really didn't think that would happen, because of my experience with doctors and hospitals. Instead I agreed to go to psych hospital. I was feeling very hopeless, etc. I stayed from Friday night and got out Monday afternoon. Needless to say it was an experience. I've also worked in a hospital like this years ago.
Here is what they gave me for meds.

Friday night: Gabapentin 100 mg ( I had been taking 300 mg - 3 tabs throughout day and night)
Ativan 1 mg three tabs throughout the night
Finally Zyprexa 5 mg. near morning (I didn't know I had this one available, even though I had asked)
I was up all night. Finally was able to sleep early Saturday morning. Slept all day. They did got me up for meals, after everyone else had eaten. Saw two doctors, but have no memory of what they said. Then was able to sleep all Saturday night. Felt very drugged.

Saturday night: Zyprexa 10 mg
Gabapentin 300 mg
I was up all day Sunday. Felt very drugged.

Sunday night: I was up almost all night. These I spaced by 1 to 2 hours
Gabapentin 300 mg
Ativan 1 mg
Zyprexa 5 mg
Ativan 1 mg
Zyprexa 10 mg

Finally went to sleep somewhere between 4 and 5 am. I got up for breakfast, then took another nap. During the nights that I was awake I just paced. That part was miserable.
Their consensus was that I should not take Methadone. Only take the 3one 00 mg Gabapentin and one Zyprexa 10 mg. With my stubbornness, that's not what I will do.
I've got to find a doctor who will write for opioid. Even the ER doctor agreed with that, and I wasn't putting words in her mouth. She said, I should do what works. I just decided to go along to see how much sleep I could get. Again, another drug that makes me feel horrible.
I'm supposed to see my doctor in the morning. Then I will go on the hunt for a new doctor.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wow. They gave you an antipsychotic. Those often worsen RLS - in some ways you were lucky (and I realize none of this was lucky in one sense - thankfully it wasn't worse). They were stupid - this drug is a dopamine ANTAgonist - no wonder all you did was pace. Do these people understand how to look up information about drugs and know the basics of RLS? Apparently not. I am furious for you, for heaven's sake. And ativan on top of that? And gabapentin???? No wonder you felt drugged.

I hope it goes better, Deb, finding a new doctor. This is just awful that you should have to go through this.

Managing Your RLS