Localized Approaches to Dealing with RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
JTDoran2

Localized Approaches to Dealing with RLS

Post by JTDoran2 »

I usually find relief from a tingling foot by applying an ice pack for 30 seconds. My doctor does not know how or why it works, other than to say the coldness may shock nerve endings.

Similarly, I wonder if a local patch that delivers a numbing agent might work? Does anyone have any information about research into this and other localized approaches?

Also, I recently read a paper,"Foot Wrap Offers Alternative to Medication for Patients with Restless Legs Syndrome." (Published: June 28, 2016 by the American Osteopathic Association.) May be worth a try. Does anyone know where such a wrap can be purchased?

Polar Bear

Re: Localized Approaches to Dealing with RLS

Post by Polar Bear »

Before I had some control of my symptoms from medication I used to put my feet/legs into a deep bucket of icy cold water for about 20 minutes. This eventually calmed my legs enough for me to go back to bed.
I reckon this works on the same principle as your ice pack.
A local numbing patch sounds interesting but in practice difficult to use to work on two legs and two arms at the same time.
In desperation I've used Bio Freeze but don't recall that it did a lot.

I did a quick Google search which did bring up some articles on the Foot Wrap so possibly if you do further searching it might bring up a supplier (sorry I'm on my way out and haven't time to look)

There was some discussion here about the Foot Wrap quite recently. If you put 'Foot Wrap' into the search box at the top right of this page you should posts where this has been mentioned.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

JTDoran2

Re: Localized Approaches to Dealing with RLS

Post by JTDoran2 »

Here is an NIH review of devices to locally reduce RLS symptoms:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4671777/