Medical Marijuana

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
stjohnh

Re: Medical Marijuana

Post by stjohnh »

Well I'm 5-10 and 200 pounds. I tried 12 and a half milligrams THC two nights ago, one half of a 25 milligram caramel. I slept actually pretty well, however when I got up in the middle of the night I was so stoned I was a little afraid I would fall on the way to the bathroom. Didn't really seem to have much of a hangover when I woke up in the morning. Last night I tried 8 milligrams THC ( 1/3 of a 25 milligram candy ), slept well and when I got up to go to the bathroom felt stoned but my balance seemed fairly good. Looks like 8 milligrams THC is about right for me. Over the next week or two I plan to try the CBD candies and the one to one CBD THC candies.

The cost of most THC candies in California where I live is about 10 to $12 for 100 milligrams. The least expensive per hundred milligrams of THC that I've seen is a 1000 milligram bar for $40. If I settle on THC as the best type for me I might buy one of those. Divided into 8 mg pieces, that comes to 32 cents per day. :D

Thanks for the dosing advice.
Blessings,
Holland

yawny

Post by yawny »

I'm continuing a discussion started in "Just Joined," that mentioned Medical Marijuana Transdermal Patches....viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9589

The transdermal patches by Mary's Medicinals are both awesome and expensive. You apply the patch to a veiny area like your ankle, top of foot, wrists, and the medicine is a slow release for up to 12 hours. I got about 6-8 hours out of a patch. The patch can be inconspicuously placed under clothing and doesn't smell. Where I live in Washington state, I can get them for $14/patch or $12/patch for 10. The CBN was the most effective for my PLMS/PLMD but there are 5 other patches. I tried them all. After a few particularly rough nights I even used the THC Sativa patch to give me a little energy to get through the day (some people use Sativa in the daytime to get their chores done when they usually don't have the energy to do so). It was a gentle uplift in energy.

For me, the CBN patch worked nightly for two weeks. I added a second patch but couldn't sustain the daily cost. I believe the slow release part of the patch wasn't enough medicine for me as I built dosage tolerance. Here's the website for more information, but you cannot order their products online.
http://www.marysmedicinals.com/products-properties/

However, you can do a local store search on their website....
http://www.marysmedicinals.com/find-marys-products/

Under Store Locator, you can type in your zip code and the stores that carry their products will appear in a list. Each store usually appears with their phone number so you could call and confirm that they have the patch or product that you want.

They also make a Transdermal Pen (see listed below the patches on product page) that I haven't used because I don't have daytime symptoms, but seems like a great product for daytime use and could easily be applied while you're on the go. With any Cannabis/Marijuana product, it's always suggested to try at home first to see how you respond.

Here's what the website says about the Transdermal Pen:
"Designed as an accompaniment to our patches, Mary’s transdermal gel pens are the perfect resource for patients managing breakthrough pain, or for creating blended cannabinoid ratios. The light gel is placed directly on the skin and gently rubbed in for rapid relief."

yawny

Re: Medical Marijuana - CBN

Post by yawny »

Following up on my last post...I was inspired to make my own CBN after trying many different cannabis products. Early on in my experimentation, I found a transdermal patch of CBN by Mary's Medicinals. Compared to everything else, it was my best sleep and experience with cannabis. It's very sedative and without the sometimes strong head effects of THC. But the patch stopped working. So I moved on to other cannabis products and a combo of THC/CBD seemed to work pretty well. But I always thought about that lovely CBN. I couldn't find any other CBN products on the market so I researched it and found that CBN is just degraded THC. I asked as many dispensary employees as possible for recommendations on making my own. Turns out it isn't such an unusual endeavor because many people already know how good CBN is for sleep.

I started by getting several different strains of Indica flower that were recommended for sleep. I only got strains that were very high in THC and nothing else. I put each strain in their own glass mason jar, without a lid, on a sunny windowsill and waited one month for the THC to convert to CBN. The flowers got very dry and crumbly. (Additional Suggestions: glass containers so light can filter through the glass; large enough container so air can circulate around each flower clump; stir the flowers every week or so; consider the strong cannabis smell and pets/children in your placement.)

My nightly routine is to vape CBN flower and then eat a homemade CBN mini muffin. Through my experimentation I've learned that some strains that work for other people do not work for me and that you can build tolerance, so I never rely on just one or two strains. Currently I'm rotating through 8 different strains and I have 3 more that I haven't tried yet as they just finished their month on the windowsill.

If you want to learn more about CBN, this sums it up:
http://theleafonline.com/c/science/2014 ... ourse-cbn/

Here's a spoiler:
Cannabinol (CBN) is what tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) will break down into over time due to exposure to oxygen and heat. By this time CBN will become only mildly psychoactive, and much less intense than when it was THC. However, just because this cannabinoid isn’t very psychoactive doesn’t mean it isn’t potent. In fact, CBN is the strongest cannabinoid identified for promoting sleep, which makes cannabis rich in CBN an ideal treatment for insomnia.

badnights

Post by badnights »

useful info! I wish it was easier to get hold of, I would try it to see how it compares with zopiclone.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

Thank you thank you thank you!! This thread has been tremendously helpful for me. I am at the beginning of my experimentation into the MM world with the hope that I can begin to back off my methadone. Or at least have something non-opioid for breakthrough symptoms. I am on 15-20 mgs of methadone, 3 mgs of Lunesta, 50 mgs tramadol daily. I have oxycodone for the times my RLS gets crazy. I absolutely HATE the methadone as it causes such fatigue that I rarely move after work anymore. Difficult to stay "fit" that way. But I am grateful that I (except for the occasional crazies) have effective relief from RLS and sleep approximately 7 hours per night. Dr B tells me "anything and everything effects your RLS" and since I am 50 years old, my hormones are "anything and everything", so I have weeks that are just RLS CITY! And considering I live in California, and it took me all of 5 minutes to get a medical card....ENTER MM. I have been reading about all of the different compositions and ratios and methods of using and have a head full of info that is becoming a plan. This thread was so helpful. I am most intrigued by the home made oil and have to search back to find the recipe. I live in a town home 1350 square feet. It is just me and my husband (and neighbors of course!). I have not used marijuana in a VERY long time and really have no idea how strong of a smell we are talking about when it cooks. Is it possible my neighbor WONT smell it? I bought a honey/thc bear and a CBD shatter pen Vape thingy. The honey bear makes me sleepy so that he been good. I would rather use thc oil than methadone if that were possible, and dreams DO come true sometimes. We will see. My journey begins!
jy13131

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good luck, jy13131. Do look up the re threads on kratom, too. Might help, too.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

jy13131 wrote: ...how strong of a smell we are talking about when it cooks. Is it possible my neighbor WONT smell it? ...

I was worried about the smell as well when I was when I was experimenting with various ways of taking medical marijuana. Some of the posts indicate an extremely strong smell. That has not been my experience with making marijuana oil. I used this mini crock pot

TRU Tru Stainless Steel Mini Crock .65-qt. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089OYQ7M/re ... Kxb9TCAV7Y

Put the marijuana in the crock pot, cover it with oil, plug it in, cover and let cook overnight. I actually put the Crock-Pot in a closet and closed the door because I was worried about the smell. When I opened the door the next morning I could smell the marijuana, however the smell was really quite mild.

After experimenting with the oil, vaping, smoking marijuana cigarettes, various candies, making capsules of ground up marijuana leaf, and making capsules of ground up marijuana brownies, I have settled on making the capsules out of ground up commercially purchased brownies. For fast results and convenience nothing beats the vaping, however I don't need to do that anymore as using ground up brownie in capsules works very well and doesn't taste bad.
Blessings,
Holland

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

I am getting ready to purchase some things to try. I have been using the CBD vape pen a few times per day and right now, even with decreasing from 20 to 15 mgs of methadone, my legs are incredibly quiet. Eerily quiet I would say. That is just how it is sometimes, and then BAM I'll go through the next 3 months up and down and miserable. So I am going to enjoy while it lasts. One thing that always usually shifts my legs are house guests, and my mother in law is coming in two weeks. So I want to be prepared! I want to try some actual bud to put either in a vape, or pipe, and maybe some thc oil to vape. I would LOVE to find something that has a ratio of 1:1 or even 2:1 of CBD to thc but the dispensary I have used doesn't have that. I need to look for a more medically oriented place. So....does anyone have a suggestion of what to get for FAST relief when I have breakthrough or when I am having a bad spell? I tend to get paranoid and do not like a marijuana high. I would only use it when I am attached to bed and don't have to go anywhere. I would appreciate any suggestions! Thank you.
jy13131

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Ask them about their tinctures and edibles. The stores that I visit carry these processed forms with various ratios. The tinctures I have used are available as 1:1 or straight THC or CBD and are alcohol based. You put a few drops beneath your tongue for 30 seconds and they start to work. I can also get pills and edibles (gummy bears and chocolates) with various ratios. The edibles tend to take a bit longer to work. By mixing and matching, I can get the time and benefits that I need without having to "light up".
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Post by yawny »

jy13131...For me, the fastest relief is using a vaporizer with CBN flower. I use it right before bed and keep it next to my bed just in case I have breakthrough later. I use the Pax 2 (https://www.paxvapor.com/pax-2). I had a very hard time with the high THC stuff. In fact, I quit MM thinking it wouldn't work for me. But I tried it again and after lots of experimenting with different products I found CBN to be the best because it's so sedating that it knocks me out and I mostly don't notice my symptoms. My husband has experimented along with me and he too thinks CBN gives the best sleep without the high effects.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

Thank you for the suggestions! Is it difficult to find the CBN products?
jy13131

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I have not seen any CBN products. However, I have seen several suggestions on the Internet that indicate that if you put marijuana buds in a clear glass jar and set it in the sun for a couple of days until it dries out, that the THC converts to CBN. I don't know if it works, but I have seen it more than once.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

yawny

Post by yawny »

jy13131,
If you scroll up a few entries, you'll see my post where I describe my experience with CBN and how to make it. Here's a link: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9228&start=270#p85447

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have -- just let me know!

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

Thanks for the response. I called SEVERAL places and no luck finding CBN except in a tincture of 30% spirits, NO THANK YOU! So I bought some flowers that are 3:1 CBD to thc and a vape cartridge that is 1:1. I am finding a pretty strong aversion to even a little "puff" of the vape. I think I will take the plant material and make the oil cause I am pretty sure I will like it LESS. In the meantime, legs are still solid on current Meds so I can't even really test how it affects the primary issue. However my husband believes he has found the answer to all his owies!Hahahaha I will continue with the CBD topical and vape and save the big guns for when my legs go wacko. Thanks for all your help. I sure do wish there was an easier way to come across the CBN though.
jy13131

NatWest

Post by NatWest »

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted on the public discussion board for some time. I've been experimenting with a number of things. Some have been no help at all, but recently I've tried something new, and, so far, the results are very promising.

Since my very first trip to a dispensary about a year and a half ago there's been one strain that has worked very well, in terms of stopping the symptoms, and that has been Critical Mass in a vapor pen. But the relief only lasts about an hour or so, so I've been trying to find longer lasting, stronger versions of it or something similar. Last month, looking on Leafly.com I saw that they had listed Critical Mass Flower at my regular dispensary. I immediately drove over there, only to find that they didn't have it available for sale in a bag, but did have Critical Mass pre-rolls, so I bought all of them! I emptied a lot of them out to use to make oil, but also saved some. Lately, I've been smoking the CM pre-rolls before bedtime, and I have been sleeping like a baby. I'm also taking the oil, 2 droppers full starting around 5:30, and every hour thereafter, uncluding right after I take 4-5 hits off the pre-roll right before I get into bed. The results have been good, and I've been sleeping as much as 5 hours and 45 minutes straight, no symptoms at all. And if I do wake up, the symptoms are mild, and I can take 2-3 more hits of the pre-roll, and go straight back to bed immediately, and fall asleep, or sometimes there are no symptoms, and I simply wake up, look around, and fall back asleep. For some reason, smoking the weed seems to have a much stronger effect than I get with the vapor pen. Though I do still keep a vapor pen on hand.

So just wanted to share this info in case it will help anyone. I know Critical Mass is not available in many other states, but I would think that something with a similar make up might also be effective. The CM I've been using is about 8% THC and 15% CBD. And I use the same thing in the oil I cook, with a 2:1 ratio, oil to flower, for 10-12 hours, then strain into a jar or tincture bottle. I also keep a vapor pen on hand with Gorilla Glue, which makes me sleepy, and seems to glue me to the mattress.

I've also started using a dripper to refill my vapor pen instead of buying a new one, which saves a lot of money!

Hopefully, some of this info will be helpful to some of you. I know it seems like sometimes things work for a while then stop, but I'm hoping this will continue. I'll try to give a follow up in a few weeks, to see if this treatment is continuing to be successful.