Gabapentin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Rcure

Gabapentin

Post by Rcure »

I've been on gabapentin 300mg 3 x a day for a couple weeks now I'm finding its helpful in relieving the pain and discomfort I get from rls. I have noticed little to no side effects from gabapentin and wonder if I should be on a higher dose. Whats a normal dose and what would be cons
iderd high?

Rustsmith

Re: Gabapenton

Post by Rustsmith »

Rcure, gabapentin can be used for RLS at dosages of 100 to 900 mg for up to 3 times a day.

The issue with gabapentin is that everyone does not adsorbed it into the bloodstream equally. You might take 300mg and get as much into the bloodstream as I might if I was taking 600mg. It is also possible that you were to increase your dose from 300mg to 600mg, that you might not see an increase in the amount adsorbed. The reason has to do with the fact that gabapentin is only adsorbed into the bloodstream by a small portion of the small intestine. If you are maxed on in adsorbing through this section, taking a higher dose will not get anymore into the blood. It just passes through. On the otherhand, someone who adsorbs it will might see increasing benefit all the way up to 900 or even 1200mg.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rcure

Post by Rcure »

I'm finding I'm gaining weight on gabapenton. Has anyone experienced this and if so is it from food cravings/overeating or mataboliom changes? I can't figure out why I'm gaining weight I've been logging my cal and I really shouldn't be gaining weight.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yes, people have reported that.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

Other than the slight sedation for several months when first starting gabapentin my experience was great. Other than a bayer asperin there are few meds that I have not experienced neg side-effects. Gabapentin was one that I took for a long time and was a godsend when dealing with a neck injury and assoc neuropathy.
This may be a little off topic, but I've just realized that much of the neuropathic pain I experienced was amplified or exacerbated by my RLS. Maybe not the sharp/shooting pains, but the low level aching and vice-like pains I believe were made worse by RLS. Honestly, there are times when I cannot tell the difference between neuropathic pain and my RLS. I do not have low back problems, but at times I get some sharp pin-prick pains in my feet and thighs and elsewhere that are very similar to the neuropathic, neck injury pain in my arms and hands.
Due to reducing my meds I have gotten a reminder of how much neuropathic-like pain I experience that is very similar to having an actual nerve impingment but was not present until my RLS symptoms increased. Scans, etc show that my physical injuries are minimal or have actually healed, but I believe that the RLS worsens these sensations or the RLS is worse because of these.
I was taking up to 3000mg gabapentin daily at one point, when attempting to get through dopamine agonist withdrawal. As mentioned earlier I don't believe the higher doses made a difference in symptoms, in my case anyway.
I believe I could use some now. I have an aching in my hip that is similar to a cramp, but feels more like the aching vice-like pain I experience at times from my neck injury, worse really. I may have some alight arthritis in my hips, but nothing serious enough to precipitate this kind of pain. I read/hear many comments on pain from the peanut gallery, doctors included, who say it's not actual pain. Pain is pain, and gabapentin helps dull it. It is probably the best med I've ever taken, concerning side-effects and efficacy. Forgive my rambling. I've had very little sleep.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I'm surprised nobody mentioned dehydration. I took gabapentin for a year and dealt with dehydration on a daily basis. Lately I have been taking 300 mg and waking up parched in the middle of the night. I'm giving gabapentin one more chance.

Most of these drugs increase my appetite, or is it just my appetite increasing? I expect it with the DAs but the gabapentin seemed to also.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Rcure wrote:I've been on gabapenton 300mg 3 x a day for a couple weeks now I'm finding its helpful in relieving the pain and discomfort I get from rls. I have noticed little to no side effects from gabapenton and wonder if I should be on a higher dose . ehats a normal dose and what would be conciderd high?

If the dose that you are taking, I would not increase it. I gained weight with it too.

johnmarg

Re: Gabapentin

Post by johnmarg »

If this is taken each day does it require higher dosage with time or does it lose its effectiveness? If so, any particulars are appreciated.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

johnmarg wrote:If this is taken each day does it require higher dosage with time or does it lose its effectiveness? If so, any particulars are appreciated.

For me, I never took it long enough to find out. I'm sure one of the others will answer your question.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

If this is taken each day does it require higher dosage with time or does it lose its effectiveness? If so, any particulars are appreciated.

I have been taking it for about 3 years now. I have always used either 900 or 1200mg each day taken about 30 minutes before I go to bed. It helps with my RLS induced insomnia but has never done anything for my need to move issues. I have always required something else for that.

So in my case, I have not seen an issue where I needed to increase the dose with time, like I did with several of my other meds.
Steve

kcrowley

Post by kcrowley »

My 8 year old daughter has been on gabapentin for 3 years. Her doses have varied from as little as 200mg to 700mg with her current dosing at 400mg at night which is a variation from 100mg at 10am and 300mg at night.

Her dosing has varied as other medications have been introduced to help her. But what we have noticed much like Rustsmith said, the gabapentin helped with the RLS induced insomnia for her but does not reduce her need to move.

I do also want to make note that gabapentin, in our experience, has masked her headaches...which left the eye doctor a bit stumped when he discovered how near sighted she is. He could not understand why she was not getting headaches when she read, until I remembered that gabapentin can be used for headaches and that is why she was not having any...needless to say she is doing much better with her glasses and has noticed stars in the sky and branches on trees! '

Lastly as for the hunger on gabapentin....YES!!!! With my daughter boy does she get so hungry right before bed, usually about 45 minutes after she takes the gabapentin....its almost routine at this point that she has dinner, takes her medication, and then has "dessert" which is sometimes ALOT!!!
Mother of a 8 year old with RLS/WED and Insomnia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Think Different!

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

kcrowley, interesting that you should mention headaches. My initial gabapentin prescription was given to me by a neurologist who was treating my migraines. I had been through two related migraine meds (topamax and the zonegran), but had to switch due to side effects. A different doctor was treating my RLS and my migraine doc had previously said that gabapentin was her next option for my migraines. So I specifically asked to switch so that it would do dual duty and it has been great. It works better at controlling my migraines than the other two meds did and it is the only thing other than medical marijuana that allows me to fall asleep.
Steve

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

When I first tried it, it did help a bit with the urge to move. But, after a few days, I needed more to help. So, doc increased it. After 3 weeks, I was at the max dose and it no longer helped with the urge to move or sensations.

But more recently, I used it only as Steve and others did - to help with the insomnia. I've never needed to increase this dose - it stays consistent 100 mg.

While other factors are likely at play, this is the third time I've used it that I've had minor to moderate depression. Not suicide ideation, thankfully.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS