Tried a girdle last night

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
67java89

Tried a girdle last night

Post by 67java89 »

I've been having some next level of hell RLSWED last few nights, involving my head, neck and torso as well. It's unbearable, and I don't say that lightly. I put on a girdle, and that seemed to calm things down in the hip area, but I still felt like I needed something to wrap my torso. I couldn't think of anything. The closest thing that helped was lying on my side with a pillow shoved hard against my chest and my arms wrapped tight around it. Not the most comfortable position to fall asleep in, as many of you can imagine.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a torso wrap, either purchased or homemade? I am very resourceful, esp when I am desperate. I felt like I was on the verge of freaking out last night.
Sleep is a basic need.

Rustsmith

Re: Tried a girdle last night

Post by Rustsmith »

Since I don't have an idea of your size, my only suggestion would be to check out your local sporting goods (or even Walmart) store to see if you could find some sort of spandex or lycra top that is just a bit too small around the body but not too uncomfortable in the shoulders. You might also be able to use one that "fits", i.e. is form fitting, and then use safety pins to reduce the size just a bit just through the body where you want it extra tight.

A great solution would be a thin neoprene top of the sort that surfers and divers wear, but that would definitely be much more expensive that what you are looking for.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

67java89

Post by 67java89 »

That sounds like a great idea. I am female and of slight build. I'll see what I can find at Wal Mart. Maybe I could take an old t shirt, cut it open and sew some velcro on each side to make a corset? I don't know. I'm pretty sleep deprived so I'll have to play with it. In meantime maybe I'll just wear a tight t shirt and cinch it with ponytails in front to make it tighter
Sleep is a basic need.

67java89

Post by 67java89 »

I'm thinking of an abdominal binder, but move it up to my chest?
It's really hard to describe the physical feeling I need to have around my torso, but if anyone would understand, it would be here 8)
Something like this?
http://www.mypostpartumwellness.com/wp- ... 00x225.jpg
Sleep is a basic need.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If you can afford it, that looks perfect - try it. There might be weightlifting belts that might work, too. The body smoothing torso thingees could work - they eliminate the lines from bras, panties, etc.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

Try a Spanx (or similar shapeware) cami. I have a couple which are very tight fitting, and the equivalent of a "girdle" for the torso and upper body. Good luck!