Are Carbs and sugar rls triggers?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
badnights

Re: Are Carbs and sugar rls triggers?

Post by badnights »

I'm thinking about cutting out refined sugars/excess carbs but food is the only thing that comforts me during severe RLSWED, the sugarier the better. The need to eat something sweet while I'm walking the floors is almost primal. Any thoughts?
Maybe switch from sugary food to sugarless fatty food sweetened with dates or other dried fruit (you'd have to make those snacks yourself). Fats are immensely satisfying to eat. Depends on your metabolism. I eat quite a lot of fat and not much carb, mainly veggies with limited starchy veggies and grains.

Sugar cravings are also thought by some people to be a sign of overgrowths of bacteria that don't belong in your small intestine. (SIBO)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Madmom02

Post by Madmom02 »

I've reduced my consumption of simple carbs in a big way over the last few months in part because I think I see a correlation between them and the RLS. I do know, although I haven't eaten one in probably 10 years, that a McDonald's Quarter Pounder triggered the RLS within 20 minutes of my eating one. Every time.

Until a few months ago, we'd buy a certain brand (can't remember which one) of snickerdoodle cookie and it, too, would usually trigger the RLS although not every time.

I try to only eat whole grain bread. Usually I can eat one slice with no RLS. Two slices are maybe a trigger. Bread made from "enriched flour" is a trigger. i can eat plain Triscuits but not Saltines or Club or Ritz crackers.

My brother says eating too much red meat sets off RLS for him. I didn't eat red meat for four or so years and noticed no difference in my symptoms.

With all the news about the gut-brain connection, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth in the simple carbs/sugar trigger theory. It's just an issue of identifying the component.

I'm trying to be more aware of what I'm eating and the RLS. I'll pass on anything I notice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

The food connection might be more a matter of overall health - and gut health - than one specific trigger. I wish there was more solid science regarding nutrition but it's all so contradictory.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.