Taboo topic??

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sole

Taboo topic??

Post by Sole »

I was doing some looking online for places to buy drugs without a Rx. There are many sites claim I can buy without. Has anyone here tried this? Or is this a taboo topic?

sole

Sole

Post by Sole »

AH come on guys. Doesn't anyone know anything about this??? :roll:

sole

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I am probably rather naive, but just what kind of drugs are you talking about?

Sole

Post by Sole »

HI Ruby,

I'm talking about prescription drugs like opiades and benzo diazapines e.g. Vicodin, Percocet, Klonopin, Valuim.... Drugs that are known to work well for many RLS patients but are rarely prescribed because Dr.'s are so worried about abuse and at least here in the US, worried about the FDA coming and knocking down their door. I've found many places online which CLAIM they can put you into contact with forgeign pharmacies that will sell these drugs without a prescription but I am always weary of things that seem too good to be true.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in Dr.'s and their training but I also believe that there are many of us out there that know what works for us but can't find a Dr. who will do what is best, whether it be out of fear, ignorance or arrogance. Ultimately, my best judge for what works for me, is me and I'm looking for resources that I can use when I need to.

I hope I explained that right.

Smile,
Sole
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

Post by Guest »

Luckily, all the doctors I have had contact with were willing to at least discuss any meds I asked them about. If you have trouble with any doctors failing to prescribe purely because they think they may get in trouble with the FDA, etc. then bless you, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR!!! It may be that a doctor is unwilling to prescribe meds unless you have been diagnosed with RLS. At that time, you need to find a doctor who understands RLS or is at least willing to learn about it. RLS is usually diagnosed on the basis of symptoms, sometimes with the help of sleep studies. I would be very cautious of ads that claim to get meds without the benefit of being prescribed by doctors. I understand that many companies that make certain drugs have programs in place for those who do not have insurance to cover the costs. They can help or even defray costs although you will have to have documentation of need. I hope you will try another doctor and please keep us posted as to your journey. By the way, I love your quote!!

Sole

Post by Sole »

Guest, :-) (That's cute)

I would love to switch Dr.'s. Unfortunately, I have state health insurance and am only allowed to switch once every six months. That one switch was already made. I didn't know I wouldn't have been able to switch again or I probably never would have, to begin with. I originally switched because the physician I originally chose, but never saw, was going to take a month to get to see me. So now I'm stuck with this gal until the six months is up. To make matters worse, I will lose my insurance completely at that time because I am no longer pregnant. So I'm working hard at trying to find medical attention and medications that I'll somehow be able to afford after I lose my insurance. What a mess, huh?

Thanks for your advice. I probably shouldn't even be considering trying to circumvent the system but I guess I'm just scared and panicky.
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Sole

Scared and panicky to me means you are stressing out! You know that stress is bad for you and will only make your RLS worse.

I know that you're stuck with your doc for now, but I'm sure if we put our "collective heads together" we can come up with at least one way to get you some decent help from this doc. I know Jumpy has already come to your assistance with his letter.

Instead of trying to circumvent the system, try and use it to your advantage. Do you have a particular pharmacy that you use regularly? If so, the pharmacist could be a valuable ally. Here in Aus, it is not uncommon for a pharmacist to ring a GP and question the drug therapy of the patient if the pharmacist believes it could do more harm than good to the patient.

It's just a thought, but it might help you out.

In the meantime, you need to get your stress levels down to a more manageable level!

As I always say, take it one step at a time, one day at a time and Stay Positive!!

Take care of you :)
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Sole

Post by Sole »

Talking to the pharmacist is a great idea! I will do that tomorrow when I go pick up my Mirapex. I'll let you know what she says. My next appt. is on the 23rd. I am considering sending a packet of information to my doc before then, including a letter from myself and the one Jumpy wrote and info from the site. I've heard many say that she probably won't take time to read it all but either way I think it will make our next visit more productive. If she hasn't read it, I will have more ammunition to use against her, which will hopefully help me get to see someone else. If she has read it, then perhaps she'll have learned a little something about this hellish disease...or whatever it's called. Thanks a bunch!
Sole

CrazyFeet

Post by CrazyFeet »

So sorry to hear about your trouble, but everyone here is right...you MUST get you Dr to understand RLS. I just read the book Sleep Thief, and it was a great resource! There are many short chapters/articles from Drs who've had experience w/the disease and many statement of the victims of RLS (including those w/the disorder and those whose partner suffers). If you've just had a baby, then BY ALL MEANS you need ALL THE SLEEP YOU CAN GET, and the more fatigued I am, the more my RLS kicks in! I highly recommend taking the book to your Dr when you go...and check it out for yourself. You'll probably have to order it to pick it up from Borders, but it's well worth the $16 for softcover. Good Luck!!

Sole

Post by Sole »

Thank you for the encouragement, Crazyfeet. I talked to the pharmacist yesterday. She said that many people are prescribed Elavil for RLS but that she couldn't comment on its success of lack of. Oh well, I tried.
Sole

CrazyFeet

Post by CrazyFeet »

We're all here to support one another, so no problem. :D But I've personally not heard of Elavil as a therapy option?? I REALLY recommend Sleep Thief. It's a great book and because there are many sections written by doctors indicating the appropriate therapies, which may persuade your Dr to prescribe something that will actually help. There's a whole section written on steps to take in Rx therapy. Good Luck!

Sole

Post by Sole »

I will order it. Thanks again.
Sole