Essential Oils

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Essential Oils

Post by ViewsAskew »

When I have tracked my awake times manually - paper and tick marks - there are times I am aware of 20-30 arousals. Likely many more. So, how much deep sleep can a person get when they usually don't get past stage 2???? Not much is how much!

Holland, unless you have lots to spend on ones used by sleep labs, there isn't anything I am aware of, unfortunately. I wish!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

you know, why did I even hesitate? Easily - - both arms for 9 hours every night.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

The night before last I forgot to put on the oil. Just when I thought I was going to sleep, major leg jerks. Got up took my 1 am methadone, even though it was only 11, and applied oil. Slept the rest of the night. Leg didn't wake me up in am. Slept 8 hours. Had to set alarm because of a meeting, otherwise I would have slept more.
Last night applied oil, a couple of hours later, some minor RLS, got up to bathroom, for bowls. That always seems to trigger RLS. Slept the rest of the night, got 10 hours. (Of course I'm up to pee every 4 to 5 hours.)
I don't know, maybe this is all in my head or a coincidence, but I am sleeping better. I'm adjusting bowel meds so it doesn't hit me at night. 4 months ago it would hit me in am, so it was fine. I guess body has changed.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Just a reminder, I have had periods where I only got 2 to 4 hours at night. That was pure hell. Most of that was caused by meds.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Time will tell. In the meantime, be happy for all that sleep.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

are you applying the oils to your body, or using a vaporizer? And what oil or oils are you using?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm doing both. I'm putting some in the Vaporizer and then about an hour before bed, I'm putting a drop of each one on the muscle at the top of my leg. It's the one that jerks so terribly. Then a little on my chest, so I can smell it before I go to bed.
I've just started with two, Orange and Lavender, though I have also vaporized Frankincense.
For a few nights, it's been one jerk, then last night nothing.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Had another night of no RLS, and especially no PLMs. There is something else that is going on. I know that I have talked about this before, but I could never stick to it. I've had about a month of eating clean. No sugar, no artificial anything, no flour, more vegetables, fruit and protein. I'm taking it one step further, which I won't go into here, but all of the processed foods, bottled stuff will soon be gone. I was hanging onto some dressings, things like that. My husband is doing this with me. He was hanging onto bar b q sauce, etc. He is diabetic and has asthma. I have heart disease, kidney disease, very bad arthritis - other autoimmune issues, digestive issues, reflux, obesity, inflammation, etc. I could go on and on. I'm already starting to feel better. I've dropped 20 pounds in the last month. I was retaining fluid really bad before that. All of our health issues should improve.
So, my point is, this way of eating probably has a lot to do with my RLS and PLMs as well as the essential oils. I had started the oils before the food changes.
What I like the most about this is, I don't have to count anything, just eat the right foods. I am following a specific plan, which I won't mention here. Again, I'm not trying to promote something. (or someone)
I should know more in 6 months, on how we are feeling.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Congrats on the weight loss and feeling better. A friend did a similar thing recently - just got rid of the processed stuff and eats clean. No sugars, lots of fermented stuff. She was a US size 18 and is now a size 10 - it's been about 4 months. So far, she's doing well keeping to it. Hope you both can do so for many years to come.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Third night of no RLS, PLMs. The only reason that I am up early, is that I have a doctor appointment. The other thing that I have noticed is, that I'm not sleeping as long. Where I was sleeping 9 and 10 hours, it is reduced to around 8. I'm looking forward to the muscle in my leg to recover. It is so tender. See sleep doc today.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I was in the car all day yesterday, due to doctor appointment and shopping. Later at home I took my 5 pm methadone 5 mg. Then about 7 pm my leg started jerking. I thought it might happen due to the car trip, it always does. At least it didn't start while still in the car, like it sometimes does. I decided to take my second methadone 5 mg then at 7 pm. I usually take it around midnight. Later I went to bed around 10:30. Took no more meds. Slept all night, except for bathroom breaks, and got up about 8 am. Another night of no jerks or RLS.
I'm afraid to cut back on the Methadone. I'm thinking I will wait a few more nights.
No new report from doctor, except he was glad I am sleeping.
I'm continuing to get cleaner with the food. I'm very happy.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This is great, Deb.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You are doing really well.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Another night with no RLS, but I think that it is not totally gone. I think that if I decrease the Methadone too much, it will come back. Not sure what to do, but I am enjoying the sleep. That makes five nights.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Last night I cut my Methadone by 2.5 mg. Ended up having symptom, but they were mild. I was able to sleep through them. Not perfect, but ok.