I am not new here. Have posted for years under stitch.

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
stitch

I am not new here. Have posted for years under stitch.

Post by stitch »

I have posted about everything. But this time I have a real problem. My restless legs have been under control until this month. I had eye surgery on the 1st of February and three days later came down with shingles. Since then my legs have gone crazy. It is all day and I am wondering if it's the RX he gave me on the 7th. I didn't mention where the shingles are. the groin area and the doctor told me it was a bad case. The RX is Valacyclover HCL 1 gram. Is shingles tied into RLS in any way?

Polar Bear

Re: I am not new here. Have posted for years under stitch.

Post by Polar Bear »

Hello stitch - I have never heard of RLS and Shingles being tied in any way. The only slim connection I can think of is that I think Shingles can be inflammatory and also there may be inflammation with regard to triggering RLS symptoms.
I have heard that prednisone taken with an antiviral ( Valacyclovir) helps with the pain.

I hope your surgery was successful.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

stitch

Post by stitch »

The surgery went fine but the shingles are not so good. I am still lots of pain and its in the groin area which is a very painful place to have shingles. I never thought about prednisone.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, you poor thing. Ouch.

For me, whenever ANY sensation is around my torso or legs, it can set off RLS. When I am itchy, I ALWAYS get RLS symptoms immediately. Could be that this is what is happening.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stitch

Post by stitch »

It is now after 4am and I am still up with one of the worse case of rest legs I have ever had. I can not keep my legs still. I want to go to sleep so bad/ Maybe tomorrow.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It's a horrible position. To have had your rls under control up until a month ago, and now it's going haywire !!
Although there doesn't appear to be a connection with rls/shingles I had a quick google on your medication for shingles and found this
http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/valacyclovir/rls/
It isn't much, but does appear to be making comment albeit minor about the valacyclovir and RLS.
Is it possible to discuss an alternative medication for your shingles or another pain relieving med to take along with your valacyclovir. Just in case it could make a difference.

What is your treatment for your RLS. Could it need adjusted while you deal with your shingles?
I think a discussion with your GP may be needed.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

stitch, Polar Bear asks a very relevant question about what you are currently taking for your RLS. I did a quick look and found that gabapentin and Lyrica are both occasionally used to treat Shingles pain. Both of these drugs can also effective for the treatment of RLS and often are useful in allowing us to fall asleep. So a conversation with your doctor about adjusting your RLS meds to help with the shingles pain/itching would certainly seem to be warranted.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

stitch, I remember seeing posts from you way back

I take Valacyclovir 500 - 1000 mg daily for cold sores and haven't noticed any effect on my WED/RLS symptoms. The link Betty found says 6 out of 7,272 people taking Valacyclovir had RLS. This is much less RLS/WED than you'd find in the general population and half of it might be explained by the fact that 3 of the 6 people took Benadryl too.

I suspect that your RLS/WED will improve once the shingles are gone. (I hope, too). It's just a problem of getting enough sleep to heal the shingles! I like the gabapentin/pregabalin suggesion Steve gave you.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

RLS and shingles are both bad enough alone but together, it must be awful.
Just a note to everyone over 60--there is a vaccine to prevent shingles so if you have had chicken pox, contact your GP or family doctor to get a vaccination. Stress can trigger shingles and RLS is very stressful.