My new Relaxis

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ViewsAskew

Re: My new Relaxis

Post by ViewsAskew »

Steve, interesting comment...the same has happened to me lately. When I had my first infusion, the nurse was a bit concerned because my BP was a bit high - like 135ish. I immediately calmed myself with some mediation, and within 15 minutes it was 95 and she was panicking that it was too low. I stopped the deliberate calming and "woke" myself, bringing it up to 110 where it stayed. Recently I tried that and couldn't do it. I was wondering if it was medications or aging or what...didn't consider anxiety. Hmmm.

Yawny and Legs - thanks for the well-written, funny posts.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

I think that is so sweet, Steve, that you did it to 'surprise the nurse' - I could imagine doing something just like that.

Polar Bear, thanks for wonderfully funny and warm posts. Trainspotting/The Commitments is spot on - am in equal parts terrified and enjoying the anarchic madness of it all - especially that my children are being dragged in with me.
Like yawny, I love hearing about your charming grand-daughter(s) and your wonderful hair-styles.

Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments about my daughters - especially when I can imagine people who would be so censorious that I had given them any inkling about how helpful I would have found the cannabis. They were very funny recounting their experience in a school-child what-I-did-over-the-weekend parody: ' Mummy couldn't sleep. We wanted to help. We went into town. It was a secret. We asked some friends for help. And then we got a message from a man who said we had to go to an apartment. And then we gave the man some money and he gave us a little bag. The bag smelt funny. We went home and gave it to Mummy. Mummy was very happy. The end.'

Have just re-read this and feel should point out for the avoidance of doubt that they are actually 20 and 21.

Yawny, sorry to hear you have such a bad cold. Hope it improves - I often resort to that stuffed nostril technique. Again I laughed out loud at your comments about your husband loving you for your personality. So brilliant to hear about your gradual improvement with anxiety and the brave new world opening up to you, albeit without croissants.

I think I am going to buy some more cbd oil after all the comments. It didn't do anything for the rls but I did find I wanted to keep taking it - I think maybe it made me more mellow also.

I am loving all different directions this thread is throwing up as well as the great humour.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

legsbestill wrote:Opiates drove me back into the marital bed...and now Relaxis is driving us apart ...

I'm pretty sure the Relaxis can bring you two back together--just get a little more creative in its use! :lol:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

leggo_my_legs wrote:
legsbestill wrote:Opiates drove me back into the marital bed...and now Relaxis is driving us apart ...

I'm pretty sure the Relaxis can bring you two back together--just get a little more creative in its use! :lol:

:D

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

leggo - your post is hilarious - had to read it to long-suffering spouse who roared with laughter. He has previously likened the sensation of the Relaxis to that of sitting on a washing machine which - as he pointed out was a traditional source of ... er ... pleasurable sensation for the experimental female. I guess that means he has been trying it out in private ...

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Glad to have spread some mirth! I don't know what the relaxis is like but I'm using my imagination! I love Ann's phrase "marital bed" lol!

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Just a quick update regarding my Relaxis. Karl from Relaxis phoned last week to see how I was getting on and had a suggestion when I told him that it doesn't always work, particularly if the legs are feeling a bit more violently jerky. Since his phone call symptoms have been very mild so hadn't had a chance to try out the suggestion. This afternoon I went back to bed as was falling asleep mid-task. Legs started played up something terrible (I ate some chocolates with lunch which definitely seem to be a trigger in large quantities). I tried Karl's trick with Relaxis without much hope for success due to severity of symptoms.

I increased the intensity of the vibrations to just below maximum for about a minute and a half (it was very hard to endure the vibrations and the rls but was determined to try). Then reduced to the usual level (at the upper end of the lowest setting - there are seven levels at each setting). According to Karl, an improvement should result within a matter of minutes. There wasn't much improvement however so I repeated the experiment. To my amazement the legs calmed right down - yes, CALMED RIGHT DOWN - within about 5 minutes of the second burst of strong vibrations. This is the first time relaxis has calmed really intense symptoms and it did it almost completely. Unfortunately I have to get up now so can't report on how long they would have remained calm while in bed (this all happened about 30 mins ago - yes, this is very fresh news).

The longer I have it the more pleased I am that I took the plunge and ordered Relaxis but this is definitely a new high. It has to be viewed very much as a weapon in the arsenal of rls calming tools, not a stand alone solution, but bearing in mind that my rls is likely to last for my lifetime, I figure Relaxis was a super investment.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Sorry: when I said 'Karl from Relaxis phoned last week ...' I actually meant 'Karl - not a zombie - from Relaxis phoned last week ...'

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

WOw! I am so glad you are sharing your experience with this device - you are likely helping many others.

Managing Your RLS

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Actually I suppose I should mention that I have no connection with Relaxis (other than speaking to Karl intermittently) - I paid full price for the pad and have no incentive to promote it. When I was thinking of purchasing it I was anxious to gain as much information about it as possible and now I'm just passing it forward.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

legsbestill wrote:Actually I suppose I should mention that I have no connection with Relaxis (other than speaking to Karl intermittently) - I paid full price for the pad and have no incentive to promote it. When I was thinking of purchasing it I was anxious to gain as much information about it as possible and now I'm just passing it forward.

:mrgreen: :thumbup:

Managing Your RLS

yawny

Post by yawny »

legsbestill wrote:Sorry: when I said 'Karl from Relaxis phoned last week ...' I actually meant 'Karl - not a zombie - from Relaxis phoned last week ...'

:lol:

badnights

Post by badnights »

I am miffed at the Canadian representatives for Relaxis. A company called Sleep Therapeutics. I first contacted them about two months ago. Someone gave me some information, including the price (Cdn $250 for a trial, 1500 to buy) and the fact that I needed a prescription.

I got the prescription after my doctor got back from a holiday, but before I did anything with it I got an email from a new person, apologizing profusely (for what?) and saying the old person was no longer with the company. We had a back-and-forth during which I sent her my prescription and she said I needed to sign something, also that the rental price was now only $50; - and then - - - -nothing. I emailed a reminder - still nothing.

I have no recourse other than getting up early so I can call them (they're east of me, plus I'm 5-6 hr later than normal people in my time zone). Or calling the parent company again. They might want to know that their only authorized representative in Canada sucks.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

That is frustrating. I wonder if it would be worth emailing the parent company in California?

However, I would say that there seemed to be a limited amount of communication between the parent company in California and the European representative. I found the European representative was not as easy to deal with and a little cagey with information. I ended up ordering the product direct from California which meant I paid an extra whack of import duty - a very unwelcome outcome.

I am glad I went ahead and ordered it even with the extra cost because (at the risk of repetition) I love having that extra option when the legs kick in BUT because it is so expensive, I would hesitate actually to recommend it as the impact can be hit and miss - in fairness probably more hit than miss but my symptoms are very much less severe now than they were last year in any event. Also I sometimes find the vibrations unpleasant although usually effective in calming the RLS.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Nothing you say makes me change my mind about trying it. I can handle sometimes effective.

But I am unlikely to get a chance to try unless I get creative, because I got an email today in response to my prodding, telling me (sort of a form email) that the parent company no longer had a medical-device license in Canada. Wankers. They didn't give it much of a shot. If only I had moved faster, I could have gotten one!

They suggested I try a Quell, which is a fancified TENS machine that you wear on your calf, for chronic pain. I would first try my own TENS on my calf .
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.