Does hot weather make anyone's RLS worse?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
becat

Hiya

Post by becat »

Hi there Iwanthelp,
I'm so glad you made it to the board. We've cyber met already....emails and all. :D
You've really found a home here with us. I know your likely to be apart of the hope around here......Your doing so much by doing the study. Thank you for that, your making a big impact already.
I'm glad you made it on the board. You've got a ton of reading to do around here, but it's worth it. A good RLS education is never a waste of time or effort.
Post anytime you like. We learn from one another. Your likely to find the most wonderful people ever here. I can't tell you what they've done for me....TONS! I love them.
Hugs to you......glad your here.

i wanthelp

Thanks for the welcome...

Post by i wanthelp »

I am so very happy to finally be here... I want everyone help with any thing they wish to share with me about this nasty little problem of RLS...
By the way the doctors office called me today and wanted to know if I could come in earlier than next Thurs... I am now going in on Wed... morning... They said they wanted to help me get some realief sooner... I am very happy about this....
hugs

lojir

Hot feet

Post by lojir »

I've noticed that if my feet get warm, I can forget about sleep entirely. I'm new to the forum, but have had RLS for almost 30 years. I have rubbed my legs and feet with cool wet towels and even soaked my feet in ice water to get a bit of relief! Unfortunately, I've now begun to have symptoms in the daytime at work as well. Can't soak my feet there.

i wanthelp

Hot feet....

Post by i wanthelp »

Hello and wlecome to our world. I know what you mean by the heat. You can try to put some of those rubbermaid blue ice things... I have found if I out them on my knees that helps some and then maybe you can use that at work.

lojir

Ice packs

Post by lojir »

I tried the ice packs once, they broke open during the night, my husband thought I had an "accident" . Haven't tried that since. I usually just leave my feet out from under the covers, and have a small, but powerful fan aimed directly at them. :oops:

i wanthelp

Post by i wanthelp »

I mst share with you I thought that was so very funny... tickled me allllll night... I can just see his dismay... eheheh thank you for the visial..

I went to the doctor today... I am going to do a study on RLS.. they ppoked and stabbed me and hooked me up to wires... they say I am a great candiate for the study... I have to wait until the bolld work comes back before I can start to try the patch.. They are saying they are having gret succes with them... How great.........

lojir

Ice packs

Post by lojir »

Looking back, it is quite amusing, I was, however, horrified until I realised what had really happened. Anyway, good luck with your study, I hope you get some new and exciting answers about how to get help with the RLS. I also really hope that you will share it with us!!

i wanthelp

Post by i wanthelp »

I am planning to keep anyone that would like information about what is going on in the world of medicine with RLS. I am looking forward to finding out more and more. I have only just discovered I have this thing even though I have had it for like 30 yrs...I also found out yesterday that it is hereditary. . I ask my mom and yes she also has it.. and a aunt toooooooooo.....

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I always find it fascinating when that happens - one person starts asking questions about something in a family and - WOW - the stuff they find out.

I What Help, there is so much great information on this site. Many people here have done lots of research and found wonderful links to the best information. The two 'sticky' posts in the New to RLS? section have links to research, medication information, articles to take to your doctor, etc.

Have fun reading!

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

I want to help - Sending you many positive thoughts on your journey. Bless you and keep you safe! Looking forward to learning many new things from your experience.

My RLS is definitely worse in the summer. Heat and humidity ... I'm in Kansas need I say more... When I had the full body experience it was not a good sight... many would have gone blind, but I had to take shower, then stand over air conditioner vent to freeze the body... then wrap up in quilts - over and over all through the night...

Sara weather changes and the barmetric pressure changes ... affect what I am determining to be fibro symptoms more than the rls. I guess... for the time being it is all journal notes and go from there.

there was a time when I thought I were a normal person! hahahaha this is normal for me -

lojir

Normal

Post by lojir »

Unfortunately, this seems to be 'normal' for alot of us! :(

heat

Post by guest »

Yes, heat definintely makes things worse for me. If it's cold, I sleep much better than when it's warm. AC worked out well for me one summer, but it's gotten worse again... just started taking this new drug. seems to work, not perfect, and there are defininte side effects, but it's something...

lojir

Post by lojir »

What is the new drug?
Let us know if it helps!
please

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ah, Lojir, my guess is that this drug is one of the many we already know about. There are no majic bullets here. I'm glad it's working, but there are at least 30 drugs that do work. The problem is that none of them work for all of us! it's so tempting to get caught up in wanting ANYTHING that will help, but it really is so much harder than that. Trial and error until we get what works.

If you go to www.rlshelp.org, I think every drug that helps at all is listed. I've started going through them one by one, marking them off as I try them.

I am going to the fall conference; I promise to post any new drugs that I hear about. Last year they talked about Keppra and Gabitril. I've yet to hear of anyone trying either of those.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

lojir

Meds

Post by lojir »

I'm on Sinemet and Klonopin. They only work about 1/3 of the time. I'm afraid to try Requip, I've heard it has some pretty nasty daytime side effects, like random black-outs.
Any suggestions?