ferratin

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

Re: ferratin

Post by peanut1 »

Maybe I should email or snail mail these RLS researchers the PTSD study to see if they can do something similar. While the study sounds like it could be doable, I realize there are a whole lot less RLS researchers vs. PTSD researchers out there. And then there is the funding issue since there is a lot more money behind PTSD. The other problem is that people with severe RLS are few and far between unlike the PTSD folks. I wouldn't mind finding the RLS researchers out there and see if they can look into this. I just feel there are answers out there, but not within our reach yet.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I've thought of switching the iron as I was taking the Ferro chelated iron bisglycinate and then started taking the bloodbuilder and Florvital which was much more effective. For me, digestion issues shows up in RLS attacks. If I take that extra iron pill at night, Major RLS problems!!! Is ferrous sulfate digestible like the chelated iron? I saw one earlier post that said no.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut1, there was that study about 8-10 years ago that linked RLS to IBS. Since the gut is related to brain chemistry, that makes sense. Maybe the digestion issues are part of increased RLS, not necessarily the iron form - just that the iron form brings on the digestive issues.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

peanut1, in order to "maximize" the adsorption of iron when taking iron sulfate, you need to take vitamin C along with the iron sulfate. The vitamin C chelates the iron in much the same way that the bisglycinate in the iron bisglycinate pills. Without the vitamin C, the gut bacteria tend to react with a significant part of the iron. That reduces the amount that you get and disrupts the gut bacteria colony, thereby producing some of the stomach upset symptoms.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I was taking orange juice with the iron and it still impacted the digestive issues. I also take orange juice with the chelated iron. I'm thinking Ann is right that this means the RLS has gotten worse. I really think the iron disorder is my problem and that the PTSD is probably and iron robber so when that acts up it robs my iron even more. I wish we knew what medications were iron robbers. My sense is that Ledopa could be one since my augmentation was so bad with it, but as someone stated that could have been just my own worsening RLS.

When I was seeing the sleep neurologist he stated that they still didn't know what the problem was with RLS if it was an iron issue or this or that. It sounded like there was controversy among the doctors.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

This article states that the problem with the brain/iron issue is slowed neuron processing in the brain. is there anything that can help with that?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ev ... -the-brain

The good news is we might be at less risk for developing Alzheimers as it looks like the precursor is TOO much iron in the brain! Maybe that association is working on something to regulate the iron. Could be interesting.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... lzheimers/

SLEEPY ANGEL

Post by SLEEPY ANGEL »

Thank you to both ViewsAskew and Rustsmith for yesterday's comments Re. researchers who have RLS, and how living with someone that has a neurological condition "elevates" one's understanding of what it's like. Really GREAT that Dr. Rye is a researcher who DOES know what RLS is like! Good also to know about Dr. Becker because even tho. I DID listen to his Webinar, I just didn't catch that!

badnights

Post by badnights »

peanut the statement about slowed neuron processing in the brain ("Slowed central neuron processing is considered to be the critical problem of iron deficiency in the brain, which can be a primary cause of all sorts of psychiatric symptoms") is referenced to an article that is actually about the effect of iron deprivation on the auditory nerve systems of developing children. Part of the point of the article is that getting enough iron in the first few months of life is critical, because the brain is developing then. I don't know how the person who wrote the Psychology Today article got from that to her statement that a lack of iron slows neuronal processing.

Her statement "People with iron deficiency have higher rates of psychiatric disorders (particularly ADHD) and developmental disorders, and there is a growing body of evidence the iron deficiency causes the problems and is not just a chance association." is also referenced to two article about iron deficits during development, not in adulthood.

I take what I read in those types of articles with a grain of salt. Maybe the truth is the same - maybe iron deficits in adults cause slowed processing - but the evidence cited doesn't really say that.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Beth,

Thanks for your feedback and the clarity. I need to start looking up the referencing on these articles I put out! thanks again.

yawny

Re: meditation

Post by yawny »

peanut1, you mention meditation and it being very helpful...would you mind giving us a few pointers on how to meditate and what works for you? :)

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Jon Kabat Zinn authored a book called Full Catastrophe Living that I use for meditation. It's an older book, was first published in 1980 so you might be able to find it at the library or goodwill or thrift books is a cheap online bookstore.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut1 - I learned to mediate to a Jon Kabat Zinn CD mediation that was designed for people who had chronic illness or pain - not sure why, because I didn't have either at the time, lol. But, I found it a very helpful starting place.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Yes, I generally just use one or 2 of his meditation ideas and have not read the entire book. It is a good starting place and I think can help someone figure out what might work for them.

Kathy