Supplemental Iron

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Supplemental Iron

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut1 wrote:Fascinating that we dump iron more than most and I'm curious why. Would love to see a study on that one. I was anemic most of my life and only had mild RLS. I always wonder what kicked it into severe when I was only getting 1.5 hours a night.

What is more weird is that many of us with low ferritin have normal hemoglobin. They used to LOVE to see me when I would donate blood - for a woman, my hemoglobin was always toward the high end. Then I had my ferritin tested and it was 8. Go figure. Most doctors cannot even grasp this idea that we dump ferritin yet we are not bleeding anywhere. I am not aware of any hypotheses about how our bodies can do this - if someone else knows of any, would love to hear.

It really is quite perplexing to have all of these disparate components - no wonder they are still unraveling this. There are only a handful of researchers and so many parts to study. And, while upwards of ten percent of people might have this, only a small subgroup of that ten percent have it severely. We are doing a LOT better in terms of awareness; the Quality Care Centers, I hope, will be a big part of helping doctors be aware and getting more into the research side. I have always been a bit bummed that the sleep associations focus so little on it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Ann,

Me too, it gets downright depressing with the slow progress on this! Part of me is still in fantasy, thinking there is something out there that can help me lick this, that is just within my reach. Other days, I accept it better like this is an adjustment that I need to get used to. While I can't say my RLS has gotten any better since it kicked into severe mode, I can say that I've learned to manage it much better. Some weeks are extremely trying such as the past 2 weeks, particularly if there is a change in sleep schedule, or I get off the diet or if I accidentally run out of meds or iron :(

badnights

Post by badnights »

While I can't say my RLS has gotten any better since it kicked into severe mode, I can say that I've learned to manage it much better.
Same here. I think acceptance - such a nebulous thing! I can barely understand it - but I think acceptance was important for me. It took about 7 years for me to accept that this was happening to me.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, acceptance....what a crazy concept, lol. I find that my acceptance is the proverbial onion. I think I have it down, only to find something else I haven't yet accepted and need to work on.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.