What Severe RLS is Like

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

Re: What Severe RLS is Like

Post by Polar Bear »

I think that perhaps Eefall was writhing with the RLS while still under anaesthetic, not as he was coming out of it.
And that's why he had to be strapped down.
To have to be strapped down sounds almost medieval.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

When I have surgery, I always warn everyone.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

When I have surgery, I always warn everyone.

So do I and I, especially to the anesthesiologist. I'm emphatic and they listen because they really don't want any unnecessary drama during surgery. Long ago I was tied down during recovery and the nurse told me to lie still. I didn't know about RLS at that time.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Checking in. I have very stressed out with the end of June being my last days of work. I have been cranking the numbers of retirement and one scenario looks better than rest but after 14 years we would have paid off our mortgage but also be out of money except for our social security.

Last night I had to get of at 1am and take a shower I'm so stressed. Of course it only makes the RLS worse. Went to foot doc yesterday and I do have a bunion on left foot and a lesser one on right. I am missing a bone in little toe and have 4 or 5 extra foot bones he said it is fairly common. Yikes. Gave me cortisone shot on big toe that was another yikes lol and some foot insoles and horseshoe shaped stick on your toe pads. Fortunately he thinks all of that will fix it up.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Checking in. I have been very stressed out with the end of June being my last days of work. I have been cranking the numbers of retirement and one scenario looks better than rest but after 14 years we would have paid off our mortgage but also be out of money except for our social security. Also this only works if no catastrophe happens in all those years, fairly unlikely. Cant calculate medical as don't know how it is going in USA, hard to know what will happen.

Last night I had to get up at 1am and take a shower I'm so stressed. Of course it only makes the RLS worse. Went to foot doc yesterday and I do have a bunion on left foot and a lesser one on right. I am missing a bone in little toe and have 4 or 5 extra foot bones he said it is fairly common. Yikes. Gave me cortisone shot on big toe that was another yikes lol and some foot insoles and horseshoe shaped stick on your toe pads. Fortunately he thinks all of that will fix it up.

Suboxone continues to work! Yes!!!

Not knowing is what is driving me bonkers.
Last edited by EeFall on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

EeFall - isn't life such a roundabout of emotions. For so long you have been hoping for retirement, the stress of work being so difficult for most of us with RLS.

Now that retirement is in sight and it is bring its own stresses. Not knowing is the pits and does drive us bonkers, we try to plan for the future and it's impossible if we don't have the facts, doesn't stop us worrying trying. Of course, not having the facts means we have even more to worry about because we try think of a resolution for every possibility.

In a couple of months you will be more aware of your financial situation. Then you will be able to 'cut your cloth' as they say i.e. work with what you have.

If we consider this as Step 1 - Retirement is iminent. You will no longer worry about being awake all night and having to decide whether or not to go to work.

Step 2 is still pending and can't be defined with without facts. There are the maybes and the what ifs..... and these are what torture us.

I am happy for you that Retirement is to become a reality.
This is what you hoped for amd things have a way of working out.
In my life I have crossed so many bridges that didn't need crossing and caused myself no end of unnecessary anguish.

Perhaps in a year's time you will be telling us of your vegetable garden...
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Polar Bear wrote:EeFall - isn't life such a roundabout of emotions. For so long you have been hoping for retirement, the stress of work being so difficult for most of us with RLS.

Now that retirement is in sight and it is bring its own stresses. Not knowing is the pits and does drive us bonkers, we try to plan for the future and it's impossible if we don't have the facts, doesn't stop us worrying trying. Of course, not having the facts means we have even more to worry about because we try think of a resolution for every possibility.

In a couple of months you will be more aware of your financial situation. Then you will be able to 'cut your cloth' as they say i.e. work with what you have.

If we consider this as Step 1 - Retirement is iminent. You will no longer worry about being awake all night and having to decide whether or not to go to work.

Step 2 is still pending and can't be defined with without facts. There are the maybes and the what ifs..... and these are what torture us.

Perhaps in a year's time you will be telling us of your vegetable garden...

You are correct of course I should be really happy about not working :) My mother use to say what would it matter in a 100 years when I would worry about something and now she is almost 87 and still enjoying life by not sweating the little things.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, don't sweat the small stuff.

I should of course follow my own advice :roll:
Betty

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I am so sick of work, only 2 more months and I will be out of here. I thought I could slow down a little towards the end but no such luck they are super busy now and will be until my last day. They announced involuntary layoffs the other day I can't believe it they have so much work.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Time goes quickly and slowly, depending on what's happening. Hang in there. Sounds like your Mother is a smart lady.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Tomorrow is my last day working! Now to find out if we can make it on our resources or not. The last few days (nights) I have had RLS and know it has to be the additional stress of retirement. I am hoping it will get much better after tomorrow. YES!

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Congratulations, you made it!! Now just move on and enjoy life with the added freedom of not having to keep to a schedule other than your own.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Eefall - so glad to hear from you.
Your retirement has been a long time coming and now it is here. You can make it suit you.... no clockwatching.....

With regard to resources I'd reckon you'd have done the figures.
Our income is much reduced since retirement and it's been a case of 'cutting our cloth to fit'.
It's a new part of your life which may take a little getting used to but so worth a few fiscal sacrifices.
You can take your time doing what it necessary and choosing whether or not to do what is not vital.
My husband loved his career but when he took retirement the time was right and he told me that as he drove out of the carpark on his last day he felt the stress wash away.
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yeah !

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Eefall - You have now been officially retired for 2 days (UK time).
Just think.... It's Sunday.... tomorrow is Monday and you don't have to go to work !!!!
Do you have plans for your retirement - starting with tomorrow.
In winter it's great knowing I can wait and suit myself when hearing cars heading to work on an icy morning... scrape scrape of the windscreen ... tyres spinning trying to get a grip to make it up the hill, then out comes a piece of cardboard or old carpet to go under the tyres for grip.

Enjoy your retirement, it is a new stage of your life.
Betty