Is this RLS? New memeber

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
roast202

Is this RLS? New memeber

Post by roast202 »

Hey I just joined and have had RLS symptoms for a week now and thought I should get info early on.
Every night before sleep my right thigh starts itching, its like its itching inside the muscles. I don’t have this urge to move my leg, rather I feel more like scratching it. I do know for a fact that it isnt the skin that itches. It usually goes away after 30min and does not disturb sleep yet. The itching also happens during the day when im sitting down sometimes.

The last 2 days I got a new symptom, my right leg feels tired but not weak, the same feeling as if you were standing on one foot for hours. Even if im walking or relaxing I still have this exhausting kind of “pain” feeling on one foot. ( It’s the thigh that feels tired)

Does this sound like RLS ?

Polar Bear

Re: Is this RLS? New memeber

Post by Polar Bear »

Welcome roast202 - I'm sorry you are having uncomfortable sensations.

One of the main criteria of RLS is the absolute and uncontrollable urge to move in order to relieve the sensation, and that movement will (at least temporarily) ease the sensation.

If it helps, here are the questions listed by a doctor to determine if it is RLS:

1. Do you experience the urge to move?
2. Is the need to move overwhelming to the point that you cannot resist moving your legs?
3. Will the urge to move increase if you are in a confined position?
4. Do you have symptoms both sitting and lying?
5. How long do you need to be at rest before your leg symptoms begin?
6. Do your symptoms only begin when your legs are in a specific posture?
7. How quickly do you get relief when you start moving?
8. Do your leg symptoms occur when you are walking?
9. If you have obtained relief with walking, do the symptoms ever return while you continue to walk?
10. When are your symptoms worst?
11. When you are symptoms least?
12. Do you find your symptoms are less in the morning?
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Not likely RLS. Sounds more like right leg neuropathy, maybe pinched nerve in your back.
Blessings,
Holland

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hi roast. Doesn't really sound like RLS/WED. It's necessary to have an urge to move, along with whatever the distressing sensation might be. Does that itching feeling go away if you get up to move?

You could ask yourself if anything happened a week ago before this started (back trauma, change in lifestyle, medication) - it might help to have done that kind of thinking before you go to a doctor about it. But you should probably get it checked out especially if it does start interfering with your life.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

roast202

Post by roast202 »

It usually happens when Im standing stil, or sitting down. Not always but sometimes. Its almost guaranteed to happen just before bed time, but so far goes away when im trying to sleep. It does indeed go away when Im walking, but it also goes away when im poking the muscles, it feels much the same as when your inner ear are itching, you can't really scratch it. And whenever im scratching the itching is transformed down to my ankle or under the knee sometimes. Really weird.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I would have to guess that it's not RLS/WED. Weird, indeed.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Huh. if you felt you MUST move, I'd say it was just another way to experience RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A bit strange that the sensation goes away when you try to sleep, even though it happens just before bed time.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

roast202

Post by roast202 »

Yes, it seems to go away when i lay down. It's worse while sitting.