Tele-medicine from Quality Care Centers

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
srgraves01

Tele-medicine from Quality Care Centers

Post by srgraves01 »

Since so many people with RLS have difficulty finding a doctor who will treat RLS - and even if they can the patient often knows more about RLS than the doctor, what if doctors at quality care centers would be willing to do tele-medicine with patients who live far away. Even if the patient had to spend some money on a special type of camera, it would be a lot cheaper than traveling to a quality care center. The technology is there and easy to access. Skype is on Windows computers and Facetime on Ipads and Apple computers. Plus it would be a lot better for the environment.

ViewsAskew

Re: Tele-medicine from Quality Care Centers

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think it is a great idea. Wonder if there are restrictions regarding telemedicine and some of the drugs we take...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Post by yawny »

That's a really great idea. In the last few years I've had several doctors, an OBGYN and a functional medicine doc, and a I think a few others, tell me that they don't understand RLS, but if an expert were to prescribe a plan for me then they'd fill the prescriptions. I love the idea of everyone being able to get the very best care available. Is this a project the RLS Foundation would take on?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

What a brilliant idea.

For sufferers living outside of the USA - a follow up report and advice on treatment could perhaps be provided for the benefit of our local doctor.
I daresay 'appointments' would be be prepaid .....
I would do it.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I sent an email to the Foundation to ask if this is something that they should discuss with their Scientific and Medical Advisory Board.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

Thanks for all of your support on this.

Steve

yawny

Post by yawny »

Rustsmith wrote:I sent an email to the Foundation to ask if this is something that they should discuss with their Scientific and Medical Advisory Board.

Thanks Steve! :clap:

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Here is the jist of the response that I got from the Foundation:

It's a bit more involved than simply setting up a system based on Skype and would require an entire platform be developed specific to RLS treatment and management. Yes, it can be done but is requires a significant investment of funds.

But that said, it also sounds like it is an idea that will be passed on to the people who could make it work. Just don't hold your breath since there is money involved.
Steve

badnights

Post by badnights »

Well at least with the Foundation making enquiries about it, the hospitals and QCC's might give it some serious thought. Thank you for telling the Foundation about it!

That's interesting that they're saying "entire platform be developed specific to RLS treatment and management." I would have thought it would be a platform for remote medical consultations in general, which each hospital would choose to invest in or not, as opposed to something specific to WED/RLS. I thought some facilities were already set up for tele-health, maybe in a different department, so you'd think for them it would be easier than if they were starting from scratch.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

yawny

Post by yawny »

Beth, before I read your response, I consulted with my husband about the Foundation's response (he has 25 year's experience in IT), and he said the same thing as you. Here's an idea...Maybe the Foundation could encourage a pilot program at just one of the Quality Care Centers?

Is it worth suggesting this approach to them?

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

yawny, when I got my first reply, I asked for a bit of clarification because I was like your husband. I could see that it would be more involved than simply having a Skype conversation (due to patient confidentiality laws), but I didn't think it would be as involved as the tele-surgery systems. I even pointed out that a number of the hospitals where the some of the QCCs are located probably already have telemedicine systems in place. The wording in my note above came directly from their second reply.

However, with that said, I got the impression that the idea would be brought up at the next advisory board meeting. But that was mostly me reading between the lines that they didn't want to make any promises of getting it onto the agenda.
Steve

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I was a Tele-medicine nurse for a year.

yawny

Post by yawny »

Rustsmith wrote:However, with that said, I got the impression that the idea would be brought up at the next advisory board meeting. But that was mostly me reading between the lines that they didn't want to make any promises of getting it onto the agenda.

Steve, thanks for the clarification and moving this forward as far as possible...let's hope it gets traction at some point!

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

Hi. I was just thinking about this again. My wife just got an iPhone 7 and our son also has an iPhone 7. We just sent our grandson a birthday present and our son called us and it immediately came up on my wife's phone with a picture, using FaceTime. What if you used iPhones for this? You could send the patient an iPhone with deposit on that person's credit card if they didn't send it back. Then, at the designated time and place call the person and conduct the visit. I think a FaceTime call is just a checkbox in the settings. Then, the person would send the iPhone back in a prepaid box. Just a thought. I may have missed something. My two cents worth.

Steve

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

srgraves01 wrote:Then, at the designated time and place call the person and conduct the visit. I think a FaceTime call is just a checkbox...
Steve

WhatsApp is an extremely popular (worldwide) app for both iPhones and android. Super simple to use, free, and does free facetime-like video calls over wifi or cell system. I was video chatting with my sister in Bali yesterday. Only requirement is both people must have WhatsApp on their phones. Also does regular voice calls and text messages.
Blessings,
Holland