Anyone Using Hot Tubs as Relief?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Bob_the_Bear

Anyone Using Hot Tubs as Relief?

Post by Bob_the_Bear »

Hey guys, I've been lurking for awhile, I haven't posted much since my intro. My RLS continues to get worse, opiates seem to be the only thing that works, but I think my doctor is close to cutting me off due to all the focus on abuse right now. I've been on 20 MG hydrocodone for about 2 years. Recently I had foot surgery for bunions and severe hammertoe, and also was prescribed hydrocodone from the podiatrist for a month, so my tolerance is way up there.

Last week I ran out of medicine a few days early due to symptoms being extremely bad last month. Of course one of the effects of opiate withdrawal is RLS. Well, mine were so bad I only got 2-3 hours of sleep a day for 5 days, and was in agony. The only thing that gave me any relief was soaking in a very hot bath.

So.. all of this made me want to possibly look at getting a hot tub. But I don't see much talk on here about them, so I'm guessing not very many of you use them? Anyone have any luck with them?
Bob

Rustsmith

Re: Anyone Using Hot Tubs as Relief?

Post by Rustsmith »

Bob, sorry to hear that you had to go through withdrawal and that your doctor is considering cutting you off. That is the one aspect of taking methadone that absolutely terrifies me. Thankfully, my doctor seems bewildered when I mention potential future problems with getting prescriptions.

As for a hot tub, it is something that I would consider, but cannot because it would violate the bylaws of my condo association. When I have breakthrough issues, hot water works great to turn the movement issues off long enough for me to get back in bed and fall asleep. But I doubt that the hot water would be sufficient to manage my RLS without any meds.

Finally, hope your foot has recovered from the surgery. My wife is currently recovering from bunion surgery 3 wks ago. She had the hammertoes on that foot fixed last fall, which was much easier. Now she is scheduling hammertoe surgery on the other foot for later this year.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think so many of us just do not have access to them! One of our members has one in his backyard and uses it ALL the time and finds it very helpful.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Bob_the_Bear

Post by Bob_the_Bear »

ViewsAskew wrote:I think so many of us just do not have access to them! One of our members has one in his backyard and uses it ALL the time and finds it very helpful.

Well, I went and looked at them after work today, now I understand why not many people have them. Man, those suckers are expensive! Of course the store I was at had very good reviews, and the salesman started off showing me the better models. But at those prices, I think I'll have to make do with hot baths for a while.
Bob

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Bob_the_Bear wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:I think so many of us just do not have access to them! One of our members has one in his backyard and uses it ALL the time and finds it very helpful.

Well, I went and looked at them after work today, now I understand why not many people have them. Man, those suckers are expensive! Of course the store I was at had very good reviews, and the salesman started off showing me the better models. But at those prices, I think I'll have to make do with hot baths for a while.

I can imagine! And, some of us are in apartments or condos where we couldn't have one even if we could afford it!

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

I use hot baths when the symptoms are not too bad. The water needs to be very hot, though - at the edge of what I can stand. If the symptoms are really bad, I can't sit still even in the hot water. But when it works, its great. When my legs and arms slip into that hot hot water and all the WED disappears, sometimes I actually cry a bit with relief ...
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

A number of years ago I owned a home with a pool that had a heater. Believe me, the cost you saw at the store is only be beginning. Add in the cost of chemicals AND the power cost to run the circulation pump and the heater and it just continues. The first time that I used my pool heater, the gas company came out to check the meter because they thought that I had a leak. Turns out they have a database that flags accounts with things like pool heaters and hot tubs so that the billing computer doesn't keep flagging the account for using too much gas.
Steve

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I always use a hot bath when nothing else works. Wish I could have a hot tub.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

When I think of a hot tub I will remember Rustsmith's comment regarding the running costs - it also helps that I don't have space for a hot tub :lolno:
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

hello

what i have found helpful is alternating temperatures. usually at about 9pm i hit the swimming pool for a quick dip (more for cold water really rather than the swim) then head straight to a heated pool. the pain goes away for a while, and the hot water helps with feeling sleepy; together with the medication, i fall asleep quickly. doesn't help with the waking up intermintently but at least i get a couple of decent hours if i am disciplined enough to go to bed by 10pm.

hope this information is helpful....

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

One of the YMCAs by me has a lap pool that is very chilly - 78 or so - and a family pool that is close to 90. The difference is startling. Since I swim laps, I usually used the cold pool. Sadly, this was quite a distance for me in the city and I prefer to ride my bike, so I rarely went there and it was the only one with two pools. :-(.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

fuz_mind it never occurred to me to try cold followed by hot. It must work in the same way, though - the sensory channels become full with heat or cold sensations and have no room left for the WED/RLS.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.