Scratch and Carry Technique

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
pamhb

Scratch and Carry Technique

Post by pamhb »

I just finished reading a back issue of Nightwalkers, in which a physician with RLS describes a technique that he uses to calm his legs called "Scratch and Carry" (developed for patients with complex regional pain syndrome.) You create friction on the sole of the foot by rubbing the bare foot on a carpet or towel for two minutes and then loading the foot with weight (ie, stand on one foot) for two minutes. I just gave it a try, and the symptoms in my leg which have been bugging me for the past 3 hours have calmed. Huh! I'd be interested to hear if others have the same result....

Polar Bear

Re: Scratch and Carry Technique

Post by Polar Bear »

Working on an alternate sensation....

Good to know that this has worked for you and interested to hear if it continues to work.

I'll try anything and it will certainly be on my Agenda.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I tried that - maybe when Nightwalkers published it? - and it didn't affect my symptoms. I only tried it twice, though.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

I've tried it a couple of times now, with reasonable success. If my attack is quite bad, it doesn't help much. If my RLS is at the simmer stage rather than full boil, it works quite well. I can usually get back to sleep for another hour or so (which is awesome in my world).

badnights

Post by badnights »

I just tried it again. I was feeling mild symptoms ("simmer" level) in both legs. I tried the technique on just my right. Didn't have a carpet or towel at hand, but I'm wearing wool socks, so I just scratched vigorously against the sole with the sock on instead, then stood on that foot for 2 minutes. After a while (10 or 15 minutes?) I noticed that the right had no symptoms but the left still did. So I did it to the left as well. I almost couldn't get through it - it jacked up the symptoms for about 1.5 min, then they faded off for the last bit. I stood for the 2 min, and sat for 10, and the left leg feels pretty much same as when I started. Darn.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

This truly is a personalized disease....

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I used this technique a couple of nights ago. Used the door mat at the back door.
My own fault as my meds were taken rather later than they should have been and both legs were going mad, usually it's just the right leg.

Aways I go with the right foot and then stood on it with my left foot. It was so difficult to last out the time and not move. About 5 minutes after I stopped it did feel better - but that just might have been the extra codeine 30/500 that I'd taken, don't know.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Beth, I had a visceral reaction to your description, lol. That horrible increase that occurs when you do something physical such as this technique is like nothing else and I immediately remembered it. ~shudder~
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

I don't have any increase in symptoms when I do it. So it appears that a quick rule of thumb may be that if this results in increased discomfort, don't "poke the bear" !