What Severe RLS is Like

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
EeFall

Re: What Severe RLS is Like

Post by EeFall »

Roller coaster week. Probably 3 out of last 7 days I had to take about a 1/4 mg extra suboxone to go back to sleep. I have gone from 8 hours sleep to about 3 hours sleep the last week. More often I have gone to bed and read for a few minutes then slept. Within 1 to 2 hours I wake wide awake and restless. At least last night from 10 to 12:30 am I had something to occupy my time.

My wife and I both purchased each other some nice gifts for our 42 anniversary. She got me a 3D printer I had on my Amazon list. I ran a part last night that I had created, mostly trying to see just how it all works, overall though I am really happy with it and it is a super cool adult toy.

But then I only got 5 hours sleep. The 3D printer is Surprisingly quiet which is awesome as my wife didn’t even know I had created part until this morning. The rains have begun here and the lot beside our place is already back to green grass over the last week. It is expensive for water here so many do not water during summers and the rest of year it rains a lot which is an understatement :D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I got about 45 minutes sleep last night. Been a roller coaster for me, too. Bizarre how that happens - I never get used to it.

Wow, a 3D printer - how cool! You had much more fun than I - I swept and mopped plaster dust from a ceiling repair...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I had to google to find a description of the workings of a 3D printer.
How mad are they ??
Of course, who ever thought we'd talk to each other and see each other live to anywhere in the world for a cost of next to nothing.

You will have such fun.

Last night I was out of sleepy time medication until I picked up my prescription today. Hunting through my bedside drawer I found a 5mg diazepam which actually served my quite well. I got 2 - 3 and 5 - 9am.
From 3 - 5 I read my current book, a psychological thriller which was a Kindle freebie with 5*. There is a little bit of fantasy in it which I generally don't like but this is certainly holding me.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Wasn't a good week for me either. Seems like the bad out ways the good. I'm so tired.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Polar Bear wrote:I had to google to find a description of the workings of a 3D printer.
How mad are they ??
Of course, who ever thought we'd talk to each other and see each other live to anywhere in the world for a cost of next to nothing.

You will have such fun.

Last night I was out of sleepy time medication until I picked up my prescription today. Hunting through my bedside drawer I found a 5mg diazepam which actually served my quite well. I got 2 - 3 and 5 - 9am.
From 3 - 5 I read my current book, a psychological thriller which was a Kindle freebie with 5*. There is a little bit of fantasy in it which I generally don't like but this is certainly holding me.

Surprisingly I get many Amazon ebooks for free by searching for lowest price first, many of the books are zero cost which is strange. I mostly get library ebooks online though and also Gutenberg.org is all free books where they find copyrighted books that have expired. Some are newer but some are very old books which I find fun to read just because English has changed so much and many words used then are not in style now.

I think 3D printing will change the world maybe more than the internet has. As far as manufacturing goes it is so easy for a designer to create items and then print them out. As the 3D printing advances I believe that eventually that 3D working devices will be printed using many materials at the same printing including metals. Imagine something like a smart phone being 3D printed rather than assembled from many parts, there wouldn’t even need to be any screws or fasteners, no maintenance at all. Basically a Star Trek replicator.

But my 3D printer will only create a part from one material at a time and only about a 4.7” cube max size lol.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

We don't use our Old Epson printer much. It is ancient. We spend our time coaxing it along.

I imagine the 3D will be heavy/expensive on the ink.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I love reading the old books.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Polar Bear wrote:We don't use our Old Epson printer much. It is ancient. We spend our time coaxing it along.

I imagine the 3D will be heavy/expensive on the ink.

It is called filament and it comes on spools. The filament I use is 1.75 mm thick (like string really) and the spool weighs 2 kg. Comes in all kinds of colors and many types of material, I use PLA, a kind of plastic made from plants. It prints one thin layer at a time on the machine bed then automatically prints the next until the 3D part is printed. I printed a 1" x 1.5" x 2.5" part and it took 2 hours (this was around 670 layers). The spools cost around $20 each, but I could probably print out hundreds of parts the size I mentioned with one spool.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:I love reading the old books.

Yeah I do too. One of the neat things about gutenberg.org is that it converts old books that may have never been ebooks to ebooks. They also have some magazines converted to ebook formats, I think one is called, Astounding Science Fiction. I think the newest one of these is around 1931. Interesting to see what they thought the "future" would be like. One of the stories was writing about the year 2000 and some of it seemed silly now but then some of the ideas were not too far off from reality.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I will keep that web site in mind, thanks.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

2 mg Suboxne is working! Average around 7 hours sleep, sometimes goes down to 3 but that is nothing new with RLS. Taking half the meds make me feel less drugged up for sure and less side effects. It will be 1/2 the money too when I let the doctor know. I have been overly cautious though as i would rather have too much meds than not enough. I am 2 lbs from goal weight the doc mentioned. I can see I might be able to lose more. I am sure that has helped also. I waked over 22,000 steps today working mostly in yard, like walking over 11 miles new record for me since retirement.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Good news

badnights

Post by badnights »

Wow. You give us all hope.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

EeFall, to think back to how awful things were 12 - 18 months ago - and just look at you now.

For me, this week has been a bummer. A couple of hours most nights. When I say that it's the pits, you all know exactly what I mean.

Last night/this morning sleep came at around 5.30am, up again before 8am. Usually it's being alert/wide awake without rls symptoms. At present each time I wake up my legs are jumping. It's not easy playing Solitaire on a Kindle while walking about.... step, step, shake a leg, step, step, a wee stretch of the leg, step, step, standing on one foot - nope... balance doesn't like doing standing on one foot any more !! Leaning against the wall and doing stretches - the stretches aren't a good enough stretch. it's better to use a piece of furniture for balance.

Eventually to bed in the spare room so I can lie down and thrash without disturbing dh.

When it got to 9am I decided to shower and get ready for the day, dental appointment at lunch time. That'll be great, it's a crown that has come out twice in the last month. Dentist reckons the root is showing signs of decay and so it's more than possible that any crown will not be viable. Since being on steroids I've lost 5 teeth in 4 years. Most simply shearing off at the gum.

EeFall please enjoy your respite - I'll enjoy your remission :)
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Betty, so sorry it has been a tough week for you. I have no symptoms some nights and 30 minutes sleep others. No idea why so inconsistent...but, you all understand.

EeFall - so glad this is continuing to work for you. I think we all know - deep down - that it can change at any moment, but how nice when we have stability for awhile.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.