RLS - A new experience

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.

RLS - A new experience

Post by Guest »

nice thoughts.... and kind words
edited post.
trevb

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

To all of our regular members - please, please remember that posts like this are meant to inflame and upset people. In the past we have always left posts like this here.

The Foundation asked Becat, Trev and me to be moderators and gave us leeway to decide how we wanted to handle such situations. We haven't had a post like this to deal with. On many other boards I have been on (mostly art boards), a post like this would be deleted because of its inciteful nature. But ther is validity that this person has the right to their opinion.

I'd like to ask the opinion of our members. What do you want us to do with posts like this? We can do three things.

1 Delete them
2 Lock them and prevent further posting in them
3 Leave them as we would any other post

I don't know how Trev and Becat feel; it's midnight where I am, so I can't very well ask them. I'm mostly of the feeling that the people here do not need to be confronted by these type of posts. The person didn't leave a name, didn't register, and appears to want to create friction, an argument, or otherwise just demean people here. Some of us are in difficult places and posts like this are not very supportive. But, it's not my job to 'protect' all of you unless you decide you want that :lol: .

Looking forward to hear what everyone would prefer.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I would say lock them Ann, as every person is entitled to his/her opinion. As this person evidently just wants to be nasty, "it" has had a chance to express "its" opinion and that is it.

Corrie

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Can you delete and lock, Ann? While I agree that people have a right to express an opinion, this is a support board and I think posts like the one above might have a really bad effect on some of our members who are desparate when they find us. I've seen that happen. Corrie, I mean no offense to you at all.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

trevb

Post by trevb »

hi guys!

this gives us a good opportunity to discuss these type of posts. thanks guest!

heres my humble opinion....

i would say that this type of post should be deleted as it obviously not an opinion post but a post to 'purposely' grieve, incite and upset people. Posts that have no balance or respect should not stay.

and to that end i feel it needs to be removed.

warm regards
trev

becat

Hmmm

Post by becat »

I look at these people and these types of posts as reminders how Non RLSers might view us. It's serves as a reminder that we as a community have to learn how to educate the others.
I don't like them either, and stopped feeding the trolls after our dear Sara, mentioned it, just that way.
I, too, have strong feelings about the right to a person's opinion. I think post like this die off just as fast as we let them. Bury it so to say with real information.
However, if we find that our membership wants to have these such post deleted, I would stand with our membership and it's choice.

hunting solutions

ugly person

Post by hunting solutions »

In regard to the smart ***. People like that think they are the only ones that know anything and everybody else is stupid. They just want to "fix" other people when they need to fix themselves. Sounds exactly like my ex-father-in-law and my ex-husband. That's why they are EX's!!!!!

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

i'm not quite sure what i think on this.

i guess, i've had enough anger in my life lately from small minded better than everyone else individuals, so i guess my vote would be to delete. No sense being able to come back here and be hurt any longer.

Love you
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

trevb

Post by trevb »

hmm, i dont mind opinions and i dont mind this post myself, as it doesnt bother me at all.

but i do feel it is a bit too brutal to stay on a site like this that has many new members weekly who are just finding out they are not alone and looking for support. i think i may have been a bit shocked when i first found the forum if id seen this post and wondered what the hell was going on!!

i understand people who are saying that everyone deserves an opinion......but i dont see this post as that really... just an attempted attack to harm people.

good to discuss this though and well done to anne for not just deleting it but involving members.

keep the thoughts going.... well get there.

trev

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

IMHO

If someone is not willing to register even under false pretense, I say flamin' posts like this should be deleted. To many who suffer encounter enough of this kind of response in dealings with the general public and even uninformed professionals that such posts have no place in a website devoted to educating others about RLS.

BEGONE! I Say!

Hazel

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As of today, there are 4 in favor of deleting, 1 for locking, and 1 for leaving. I am absolutely useless in such a vote because I see valid reaons for all three!

There are a lot more people that read the board than the 8 or so that have commented! If any of you have an opinion - and you may not - please let us know. We could also start an actual poll in another thread if people would vote.

Ann

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Kris

Post by Kris »

I'd delete it - and here is why - we are all working hard to get attention brought to our problem and to find solutions.

People are coming here looking for advice and support - not this crap.

Whoever wrote that obviously knows nothing of RLS. Its bad information, its inflamatory, and its not supportive.

In no way does it serve the function of this forum.

Besides attacking people with RLS, this is attacking liberals. And you know what, to me, that is getting real old. Doesn't serve any purpose other than making conservatives look bad and mean, and liberals mad.

trevb

Post by trevb »

so 5 for deleting, pretty convincing verdict.
if noone else answers i'll or anne or becat will delete the post on the 23rd sept.. thanx to anne for good idea re consultation and for others who gave their valuable opinions.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It just occurred to me that we have posting rules. What do they say? I read them a year ago and I don't remember! If they don't mention this and we start deleting, we need to change the rules. We also might want to consider putting the rules in a sticky in one of the sections or create a section for forum rules.

I, personally, do not want lots of rules we need to follow here! I also recognize that for many reasons, including some legal ones that I don't probably even know about, we need to have rules for some things.

Any thoughts?

Ann

Managing Your RLS

becat

FAQ

Post by becat »

Hiya Ann,
The closest thing to rules is the FAQ tab above.....
It's not too helpful as rules go, but I'm with you.......Not in favor of too many rules.
Maybe one of the new members will tell us if they read the rules recently>LOL