Moving Mayhem

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Yankiwi

Re: Moving Mayhem

Post by Yankiwi »

This is the boy/man in whose home we now remove our shoes at the door.

That's so funny, but what a clever solution!

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

OMG, did the AirBnB guest steal your furniture?! Will they compensate you for the theft?

I'm glad you and hubby went to the ER and glad he didn't need immediate surgery. What a nightmare though!

Don't forget to breathe!!!

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes, Ann, life is crazy. Then to add to it our difficulties. Hopefully it will all be over soon, and you will be settled.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

leggo_my_legs wrote:OMG, did the AirBnB guest steal your furniture?! Will they compensate you for the theft?

I'm glad you and hubby went to the ER and glad he didn't need immediate surgery. What a nightmare though!

Don't forget to breathe!!!

Too funny - did I write that???

OH - I get it. No, they did not steal anything - they are happily using it. We just no longer have it, so we have NOTHING to eat on, sleep on, etc.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:Yes, Ann, life is crazy. Then to add to it our difficulties. Hopefully it will all be over soon, and you will be settled.

I am doing better than I would have imagined. Poor hubby, though. I am wondering if I will wait to fall apart when we get there...

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Views, you have too much on at the moment to even consider falling apart......
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Glad your stuff wasn't stolen!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

leggo_my_legs wrote:Glad your stuff wasn't stolen!

Me, too! Our renters are quite lovely, thankfully.

Managing Your RLS

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Oh Ann, you must be in the thick of it all right now! I read that one paragraph as the renters stole your stuff, too. Haha, glad they didn't!

Lately I feel like I've donated more than most people own, just to have some space in the house. Then our daughter came to visit from Japan, where she lives now. She was ordering us around the whole time to clean the house. She cleaned so many things with denture tablets, and ordered the guys to mop the floor. So funny because she's the reason our house turned into a huge pile or disorganized crap! But living in a tiny Japanese apartment she's learned to keep it clean and organized.

Say hi to Dr. B for me. I almost miss our twice-a-year trips to LA to see him. It was a great reason to go to Disneyland. And we always stayed in Redondo Beach, which was lovely. I'm jealous that you're moving there; would love to live in California. Minnesota is paradise from about May to mid-October, then turns to hell itself.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

ALMOST!!!!

We had a sale this weekend to try and get rid of more stuff. We sold all our tools, most of our lawn care stuff, all my houseplants, and lots more. I donated all my remaining towels, bed linens, table linens, hats, scarves, gloves, and boots to a church where they are providing things to refugee families. Most of the families are here because one of them was a translator and they were let in, but they have nothing.

We STILL have stuff left that did not sell. I catalogued it tonight and will have Girl Scouts of America come and pick up the rest. But, I also still have stained glass and gardening stuff left.

I have most of our stuff boxed. I am flying on Virgin America and can take a checked bag for $25 - cheaper than any other method to get stuff there! So, I paid for 4 checked bags. Then I realized I had given away our suitcases in the summer in anticipation of the move - they needed replacement. Since I thought - at that time - that we would have a moving company, I didn't worry about suitcases. But, now I need 4! Well, technically, I could use boxes, but wheels are a bit easier.

I posted on Freecycle and Next Door asking for suitcases good enough to make it on one last trip. Freecycle is a great way to give away stuff you do not need and Next Door is a neighborhood site. I was shocked - 4 people GAVE me suitcases! Two of them are better than the ones I gave away, lol.

Most of my kitchen stuff is packed, all of the clothes and books are packed, as well as most personal stuff. I fly out Wednesday morning and hubby follows on Nov 24th. We will leave all our boxes here in the house - there are only about 25 of them and no furniture. In the future - likely after we rent a place and have a firm date to move in - we will fly back, rent a trailer, and drive back to CA with the trailer. Before we come, I will again post on Reddit and other places about the glass and will let the local Gesneriad club know about all my plant supplies - light stands, lights, trays, etc. Hopefully someone will want most of what is left. If not, NO idea what to do with boxes of lead came!

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Progress, yeah !!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:Views, you have too much on at the moment to even consider falling apart......

My poor students....I have not given feedback on even one assignment in the last two weeks. Friday, Sat, Sun and Mon this weekend all dinner with friends or family - all important and I loved every moment. Just so little time to do it all.

Today a young couple - in their twenties, both artists - are coming by with a hard-earned $50 to take glass supplies. I am giving them a grinder, tools, and lots more for it. They came before and peeled off well-worn singles to pay for some glass :-). Then they saved up for the last few weeks to buy more. They are so vibrant and remind me what I likely looked like years ago, bursting with ideas and excitement to create things.

Wish we could all feel like that. Not all the time, but at least some of it.

Managing Your RLS

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

It always made me feel better when I knew that my things were going to a good home. Like your artists, a number of our appliances, our yard tools and all of our lawn chemicals went to the children of my wife's best friend. It was especially good to know that our washer and dryer went to the couple who had just had twins. Their washer-dryer were on their last legs, but those went to some of their friends who didn't have a set. So, it was great to know that our "donation" actually ended up helping two families who both needed the appliances and that they didn't get resold by a charity.
Steve

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

When I sold my home about 12 years ago it was at the top of the boom era. I had moved in with my Partner who is now my husband. I rented my home out for a few years, my safety net so to speak. Eventually I got weary of renting out and as the house prices were soaring, I sold. There were several folks interested amongst them a young couple who really wanted my home but they kept getting outbid. Finally they topped another bidder by borrowing a sum off parents. Just before they took possession I arranged to meet them at the house so they could measure for stuff and see what they'd like to buy. The house had recently been fitted with new vertical blinds and there were several items of furniture including bedroom mirrored sliderobes, tumble dryer. frodge freezer etc.

They asked me how much I wanted for X, Y and Z figuring out what pieces they could afford. I just looked at them so young and full of enthusiasm for their first home and considered the excellent price I'd got for my house.... in 10 years it had gone x 4. Just before the recession. I just couldn't take their money. told them they were welcome to have what they could use, that there was also a lawnmower and some tools in the garden shed they were welcome to have.

Another young couple (who were relatives) starting out had already got my sofa/armchairs, washing machine, dining table/chairs etc.

Views' comment reminded me of them, as did Rustsmith's donation of his washer dryer.
There is a warmth that comes from passing on and being able to help.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Nice story of giving your stuff to the young couple. They would have been over the moon to get it and probably still remember you fondly.
In 1980 I bought a tiny (not like today's) house in Idaho for $40,000 and seven years later sold it for $40,000. I figured I'd had free rent for that time so I was happy. That's when I moved to New Zealand.
My sister uses Next Door all the time, it is really great. As well as the free/cheap stuff (to give and get), the security part is valuable. It isn't in New Zealand yet.