What Severe RLS is Like

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
EeFall

Re: What Severe RLS is Like

Post by EeFall »

I am going to start soon on my art project about Exodus 33:20. Actually have been thinking it through. 40 is used much in bible and I was thinking to place Moses in the rock about 40 feet up and so that would be about half the height as if a 80 foot man were striding by and his hand would cover the cleft. I am going to make several images so that it is like stills in a film and hang on a wall so that as one walks by the images progress. It will be like you are staring out from Moses eyes looking out the cleft. The first image will show the landscape through the crack then progression of the hand covering the opening. Maybe a partial of the hand retreating and then just the view of God from backside as he walks by. It will also involve normal light at the beginning and a shadowed light when the hand comes then a bright light afterwards. I think there will be a rainbow effect.

The sculpture will be difficult because I won’t show view from front. It would be hung on Wall not like a sculpture you can walk around. It also would be at least 3 pieces. I might be able to combine painting and sculpture also. I am also thinking of eventually trying to do this in 3D Virtual Reality. There is beginning to be a lot of 3D VR art on the internet but never had a good enough idea before to want to take the trouble to learn how to do it. This project should keep me busy for years :D

badnights

Post by badnights »

I do enjoy working outside, I just didn’t think before I retired that it would work out that way but it is very relaxing despite physical exertion. I slept 7 hours 45 minutes last night and that about sums it up :)
We're looking for a new residence for our mother, and one of the key requirements is that it have a garden, or a yard where we can make a garden for her. Working in the garden is I swear the only place she's happy since Dad died.

Re Moses - I don't know which idea I like better, the series of images, the sculpture that's still nebulous in your mind, or the VR. The VR one might be the best, depending on how you do it, but I would really like to see what you come up with for the sculpture. Why not life-sized? How big is your yard lol - a 40-ft mountainside with a man-sized cleft in it and part of an 80-foot God....
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

Hi EeFall,

I saw in some of your posts that you sometimes have problems with itching. I also am on suboxone and have itching problems. My wife is a nurse and she said it was probably an allergic reaction. I now take a Claritin about a half hour before the suboxone and the itching is greatly reduced. I also take a xantac about the same time. This helps with itching and indigestion that I also experience. Hope this helps.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

srgraves01 wrote:Hi EeFall,

I saw in some of your posts that you sometimes have problems with itching. I also am on suboxone and have itching problems. My wife is a nurse and she said it was probably an allergic reaction. I now take a Claritin about a half hour before the suboxone and the itching is greatly reduced. I also take a xantac about the same time. This helps with itching and indigestion that I also experience. Hope this helps.

I did take Claritin for years (the Kirkland Costco brand) but found that it actually makes my RLS worse. I retry it every year or so but it makes my sleep worse. At least the itching is not as bad now taking 3mg rather than 4mg. At 2mg it was even better but I could not count on sleeping well.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

badnights wrote:Re Moses - I don't know which idea I like better, the series of images, the sculpture that's still nebulous in your mind, or the VR. The VR one might be the best, depending on how you do it, but I would really like to see what you come up with for the sculpture. Why not life-sized? How big is your yard lol - a 40-ft mountainside with a man-sized cleft in it and part of an 80-foot God....

I actually am working with a 3D sculpting program and making pictures of what I am creating and putting them into a 2D paint program. So far so good :D Sort of a strange way to do it. I am saving the 3D sculpture as I might be able to 3D print it all out eventually. I am creating 3 paintings that go side by side, tall and narrow.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Cool!

badnights

Post by badnights »

How amazing. I don't think you've mentioned your artistic bent on here before. So many things we lose when the disease is raging.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

badnights wrote:How amazing. I don't think you've mentioned your artistic bent on here before. So many things we lose when the disease is raging.

Probably didn't mention art because I was working and couldn't spend much time pursuing it. Now that I am retired I will be able to spend time at it. At one point when I was in art college I had to decide if I was gong to be a starving artist or to get a regular job and raise a family. I will never know how it would have turned out if I would have chosen the art path. Nothing I can do about it now but to do art for my own pleasure. When my RLS came I couldn't do artwork if I would have wanted to with less than 2 hours of sleep a night. I did end up creating 4 volumes of poetry when my RLS was so severe and the medications would not work. It was then that I realized that poetry was art, just a different kind. I had to express myself but art would have been too tiring to do. So I have the poetry from years ago but stopped doing it completely. I think I needed to write it to keep myself sane when the RLS was so bad. Back then I had sleep apnea also and the CPAP machines wouldn't work either. Now I don't have sleep apnea, probably because of surgeries I had. I wrote a science fiction book after the poetry and then stopped writing. I thought I could start writing again but I don't care for it now. I do want to do art but I want to use computer programs to do the art. I have looked at several programs and they are all lacking, some more so than others, and it is frustrating to learn how the tools work. Hopefully I will succeed.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A couple of days ago my brother visited unexpectedly.
There's me, in my very attractive fluffy dressing gown, granny style slippers, bed hair ..... not a pretty sight, at 12 noon !!
Putting on the kettle I excused myself on the grounds that I'd been up and awake until 5am and had eventuall found sleep.... sleeping until 10.30am. Got caught up in a few chores before heading for the shower.

My brother asked me about my RLS. I started to explain what RLS was - and he said - No, I want to know what RLS is to 'you'.
Do you know, I could have hugged him. Someone was asking how it affected my life and I was just about lost for words to be able to describe it.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:A couple of days ago my brother visited unexpectedly.
There's me, in my very attractive fluffy dressing gown, granny style slippers, bed hair ..... not a pretty sight, at 12 noon !!
Putting on the kettle I excused myself on the grounds that I'd been up and awake until 5am and had eventuall found sleep.... sleeping until 10.30am. Got caught up in a few chores before heading for the shower.

My brother asked me about my RLS. I started to explain what RLS was - and he said - No, I want to know what RLS is to 'you'.
Do you know, I could have hugged him. Someone was asking how it affected my life and I was just about lost for words to be able to describe it.

Best story all day...likely all week or even year!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you Ann.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Eefall, I find your current passion for doing artwork and your past history of writing poetry very interesting. I am certain that you have heard the same sort of comment about engineers that I have, namely that we tend to only be interested in math, engineering and the sciences with little interest and limited abilities in the liberal arts. In my case, my artistic passion is music. I played in either band and orchestra until my sophomore year in college. I quit because the music department wanted me to concentrate more time than I was willing to give them. So, like you I now have more time on my hands and decided to get back into playing. I am even trying to relearn an instrument that I only played during my freshman year in high school. That instrument is the oboe, which is one of the hardest instruments to learn to play. I keep apologizing to my wife about how bad it sounds. Fortunately, she supports my re-found enjoyment of playing, even if it sounds terrible for now.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Polar Bear wrote:A couple of days ago my brother visited unexpectedly.

What a wonderful story.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Polar Bear wrote:Thank you Ann.

Yes, sounds like a very caring brother. Amazing really considering all the threads on here where no one ever seems to listen about RLS. He should get an award or something.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

A new horror happened last night. Laying in bed in a hotel room I turned over and had vertigo like I didn't think would even be possible. It was like I was in a plane going down out of control. I actually started screaming and my wife turned on light.

Finally I turned over slowly and while it didn't quit it lessened. I was feeling sick to my stomach besides. Don't know why it happened and I thought I wasn't going to get better. My wife almost called 911 but told her not to as we don't have insurance until first of year. After several hours I was able to sleep and when I awoke I thought I was okay again.

I drove us home, about a 5 hour drive. Now I am laying in bed because I started feeling dizzy but not like the terrible vertigo as last night. Looked it up on net but really gave not a clue. All I know is it totally incapacitated me last night when it happened.