Adenosine and drug options

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Adenosine and drug options

Post by ViewsAskew »

I had a two month follow-up with Dr B today. He hadn't seen the new study, so I said I would send it to him. I did and heard back awhile ago. He was very excited that this could be a novel way to treat RLS. He was not at all optimistic that this would occur soon; he had nothing positive to say about the drug they used because of the chances of bleeding. He thought that the opportunity was in developing a new drug.

Only his opinion, of course. Guess time will tell. Also guessing I will not be getting a script for the existing drug anytime soon!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Re: Adenosine and drug options

Post by stjohnh »

ViewsAskew wrote:I had a two month follow-up with Dr B today. He hadn't seen the new study, so I said I would send it to him. I did and heard back awhile ago. He was very excited that this could be a novel way to treat RLS. He was not at all optimistic that this would occur soon; he had nothing positive to say about the drug they used because of the chances of bleeding....

Dypridamole almost never causes bleeding unless a person is also taking another antiplatelet drug or anticoagulant.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I recall you said that in response to something Steve had asked so was surprised by his response.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

ViewsAskew wrote:I recall you said that in response to something Steve had asked so was surprised by his response.
I don't know how old Dr B is, dipyridamole combined with aspirin WAS used extensively for prevention of recurrent stroke, it has not been used much as an outpatient drug for many years, due to better meds for post stroke recurrence having been developed and questionable effectiveness. Unless Dr B is about my age (70), it is likely he doesn't have much experience using dipyridamole. In view of the recent article, I suspect he will become more familiar with the drug.

The FDA approved the combination of dipyridamole/aspirin (Aggrenox) many years ago, noting that the combination does not have any more bleeding risk than aspirin alone.
Last edited by stjohnh on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

He is in his early 60's, I believe. When I was looking for a primary car doc with my insurance earlier in the month, I was looking at his info. I remember semi-panicking that he was approaching retirement age!

Managing Your RLS