Waking with legs tensed and extended

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Enigmaman

Waking with legs tensed and extended

Post by Enigmaman »

Does anyone else have the problem of waking with legs tensed and extended? Even lifted off the bed sometimes?

This seems to happen late in the night, not when waking in the middle. It seems to be linked to a suppressed urge to go to the bathroom and will leave me exhausted before the day had even begun.

I also feel it may be linked to cold weather - it has been really cold here lately and this issue has been more prevalent.

Polar Bear

Re: Waking with legs tensed and extended

Post by Polar Bear »

So this happens late at night and then doesn't happen again during the night.
Or by late in the night, do you mean towards morning time which sounds more likely when it leaves you exhausted before the day has begun.

A suppressed urge to go to the bathroom...... as though you need the bathroom visit just a little earlier than you are waking up and your body in itself is trying to control your bladder, hence your legs tensed and extended.

If this is very recent perhaps a urine sample needs tested in case you have a bladder infection.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Enigmaman

Post by Enigmaman »

To clarify, I mean this happens just before I awake in the morning.

I do have an enlarged prostate, recently diagnosed, and am seeing a urologist soon. I cannot empty my bladder fully and need to go to the bathroom.

This is not a recent problem but then neither are my bladder issues - I have only just got round to getting a diagnosis. I think the rictus legs are indeed my body's way of managing the effect of my subconscious failing to trigger me to get up.

Anyone else have similar?

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Are your feet bent down when this happens as well? Like if you were standing on your toes?
Blessings,
Holland

Enigmaman

Post by Enigmaman »

Yes I believe my feet are bent down just like that.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Sounds like a calcium problem, not RLS. See your doctor and get your calcium level checked.
Blessings,
Holland