Whacha readin?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Re: Whacha readin?

Post by ViewsAskew »

I liked Longmire, too. And, The Commitments!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Haven't heard of Longmire, must do a little searching. It's always good to have a recommendation.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

I found Longmire on Netflix during my dancing legs time in the wee hours of the morning. I was going to check it out but fell asleep, YAY!, and went on up to bed. I believe it takes place in Wyoming? We love Wyoming and drive through that state when we go to visit kids in Colorado. It should be good!

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I watched it for a bit, but found other shows I like much better. Law and Order, SVU is good. I love Hawaii 5-0 and Madame Secretary, if that's still on. Can't think offhand now but will try to add later. Other ones that you like?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I watch two types of shows. The first type are the shows I can watch and do other things - water plants, clean, pace, knit, etc. These are Last Tango in Halifax, Hawaii 5-0, Madame Secretary, Call the Midwife, Longmire, Death in Paradise, NCIS, Jane the Virgin, Heartland, Flash the Legend, Grace and Frankie, Midsomer Murders, and many more. These are sort of like background music for me. They keep my brain engaged, but do not require a lot of concentration and the plot can be predictable, etc.

The second type are ones I watch dedicated to the show, usually with husband, sometimes alone. Sometimes subtitled, often dark, often with more complex plots that we have to pay attention to. Black Mirror, Hjordis, Wallander, The Crown, Broadchurch, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Turn: Washington's Spies, etc.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Oh... Last Tango in Halifax, Call the Midwife, Death in Paradise.... such favourites, I didn't know you'd be getting these for viewing.
What i call typical Sunday night viewing.

Somehow I just can't stand Game of Thrones. I did try in the early days but it leaves me cold - Even though most of it was filmed at various locations many of which are within 5 miles of my home. As for Sherlock, I find it irritating, all the fancy camera work etc.

Look out for Marcella featuring Anna Friel, she is a police officer with many personal issues. It can be quite gritty, a great series.
Also Come Home, a series set here in Belfast. A wife and mother leaves her husband and children to 'find herself' - great acting. Featuring Christopher Eccleson who manages a decent Belfast accent :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Unless you are French this one needs to be paid attention to read the subtitles. La Mante
Teaser: In Paris, police search for a psychopath whose killings are inspired by Jeanne Deber, aka ‘The Mantis’; a notorious murderer who terrorised the city 25 years earlier. The now-incarcerated Deber (Carole Bouquet) offers her expertise to the police in order to help them hunt the copycat.
So many twists and turns, I loved it even though I had to close my eyes a few times in the first two episodes.

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

Sounds intriguing!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have Marcella on my list. I do not have La Mante on it. More to add!

Our PBS - Public Broadcast System - stations are pretty good about airing BBC shows. But, mostly, I watch them on Netflix.

Another gritty one that is excellent is from Australia. Yet, I cannot think of the name of it...I will. Eventually, lol.

Managing Your RLS

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I've recently read two books by Lisa See. She is a Californian of Chinese descent and her books are stories of Chinese who made the often painful journey to the US and Chinese Americans, a mix of modern and very old school. China Dolls takes place mostly in San Francisco before and after WWII and Shanghai Girls starts in Shanghai in the 1930s and ends in Los Angeles. I think Americans know about the Japanese during WWII but I wasn't familiar with how Chinese were treated. Her books are beautifully written and riveting. Talks by Lisa See can be found on YouTube. She's very personable.
I've also been listening to podcasts. One I really like is "The Allusionist", a podcast about the English language by an English woman. It's very funny.
Anybody have favorite podcasts?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks, Yankiwi. I need to suggest a book for book club (the month we host, we provide the book title) in September.

I just finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Nice summer read.

Managing Your RLS

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine looks good—4.5 stars on Good Reads. It is being made into a movie with Reese Witherspoon.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yankiwi wrote:Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine looks good—4.5 stars on Good Reads. It is being made into a movie with Reese Witherspoon.

I would give it a solid 3.5 - a very good summer read. The writing construction was often quite good - I laughed out loud a few times. In case anyone reads it, I won't share my criticisms :-).

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh - podcasts. I like TOO MANY! 99 % Invisible, Invisibilia, This American Life, The Guilty Feminist, Hidden Brain, The Moth, Stuff You Should Know, Startalk and many others...

Managing Your RLS

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

On the Move
by Dr. Oliver Sacks

Oliver Sacks was a quirky, eccentric neurologist, born and educated in England then moved to California where he was an intern and resident, andspent the rest of his life in New York when he wasn't travelling the world.

He was a drug addict (in California), a body builder on Venice Beach, a motorcycle enthusiast and had a thirst to learn everything neurological.
He died in his 80s and I only wish he had studied rls. Who knows what he might have come up with.

I loved his memoirs and recommend it thoroughly.