Sleep monitor

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Oozz

Re: Sleep monitor

Post by Oozz »

Thanks for the response. Yes, I use the Apple version and it allows me to track my HRV/Hr/etc all night. It shows graphical data for the entire session on my phone; however, it seems like they are having issues with the web application and I haven’t been able to view it on my desktop.

There is a company that makes the Oura ring. It is supposed to more accurate than the polar h10, but It is quite expensive. I bought one, but it won’t ship until July. Once it gets here, I’ll be sure to share any relevant insight from it.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Oozz, the data packages that I have used for my Polar and later my Garmin heart rate monitors do not provide the LF and HF numbers that you are concerned with. My concerns for athletic performance have been resting HR, max HR, my current HR while training (as it relates to my average max value) and time to recover. And as Holland points out, variability automatically requires a time value. Variability over a minute will be different from variability over an hour or even over night.

As for my numbers, it has been a while since I did an overnight session with my HR monitor. But as I remember, my resting HR averaged around 48 but went as low as 32 during the early morning hours when I was in the deepest sleep.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Thanks again for the responses. This may or may not be helpful to anyone, but just to share - I’ve had a full week of measurements. Your HRV is correlated with sleep quality, better sleep, better HRV.

I used my DA for 4 days and a new strain of MMJ (Royal Medic) for 3 days. My HRV is about 12-13% better on MMJ. This just confirms my intuition. Additionally, I track my HRV etc. when I meditate, which has allowed me to view the restorativeness of my meditation. It’s only improved 2-3%; however, it really helps with any daytime tiredness.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Hi StJohn,

Are you able to determine your REM sleep as well? If so, hav what you noticed any trends?

I’m wondering this because thc moderately impairs rem sleep and rem sleep is crucial for cognitive performance.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Oozz, I have never particularly tried to use heart rate variability information to determine the amount of REM sleep. But as I recall, from a heart rate variability point of view, REM sleep is essentially the same as being awake. I suppose you could use a combination of a movement monitor and heart rate variability to determine REM sleep duration. That is, periods in which the sleeper has low movement but high heart rate variability would indicate REM sleep.

Another point that may help to determine REM sleep is knowing that REM sleep ordinarily comes right after deep sleep.
Blessings,
Holland