Ketamine and RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

Ketamine and RLS

Post by peanut1 »

I have head and read nothing but miracle after miracle about ketamine infusions for major depression. This is a powerful drug used like a horse tranquilizer. and the FDA has not yet approved it for a treatment for depression, only for pain with surgery is my understanding. I'm curious to know if anyone has any idea on how this might interact with the RLS. Thankfully, I have no plans to use the ketamine anytime soon, but there are times I do go into a really scary depression and it would be nice to know there was something available. There are 6 infusions and apparently it just about completely takes it away and some people even claim they are cured. I am a little leery as this almost sounds like a too good to be true thing.

XenMan

Re: Ketamine and RLS

Post by XenMan »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9221938

“In line with earlier studies, we observed a transient five-fold increase in dopamine release following single ketamine administration in drug naive animals…”- Dopamine goes up.

“However, we also observed a two-fold increase in basal dopamine levels and an almost complete attenuation of the ketamine-induced increase in dopamine release in animals pre-treated with ketamine once daily for 7 days...”- Dopamine goes back down.

As seen in mental health, the brain likes to keep its hormone levels at what it decides as normal and will adapt to external alterations. This is why antidepressants such SSRIs target the receptors and not the hormone levels themselves. I have used SSRIs and they were successful for bringing me back from the edge, but I used them for only two weeks max and then had a break for a month or so. For me it was emergency use only during a difficult time.

I don’t remember having worse RLS while on SSRIs, as dopamine is noticeably reduced. However my views on RLS is that it is more of a physiological condition of residual tension in muscles amplifying a hormone imbalance that many possess, but most have no symptoms. I may be wrong; again.

Ketamine may be like MDMA for those with Parkinson’s: it helps short term, but the sides aren’t the best and effects not sustainable. It is unlikely to be available legally for a long time for RLS, if ever.

However, it should have some effect, and we will know that when published papers have an overlap with treatment for depression by K having a side effect of better RLS in individuals.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I did see that ketamine can be helpful for RLS so I made an initial appointment for a consult. this will be for major depression and NOT for RLS. Will keep you posted. also, antidepressants have not worked for me. Apparently the ketamine infusions are a lot more effective albeit a lot more expensive.

XenMan

Post by XenMan »

Nice work.

Good luck to you, I hope you get great results. I have read of amazing success with K for many years now.

DreiTageWach

Post by DreiTageWach »

Hi Peanut1,

I have experimented with Ketamine and it indeed helps a lot with RLS (at least for me). The effect is quite short lived, however. I get about 30-60 minutes relief out of one dose (snorted), which doesn't really help that much if you want to get some proper sleep. But I could imagine that the effect lasts longer if you get an injection.

QyX

Post by QyX »

DreiTageWach wrote:Hi Peanut1,

I have experimented with Ketamine and it indeed helps a lot with RLS (at least for me). The effect is quite short lived, however. I get about 30-60 minutes relief out of one dose (snorted), which doesn't really help that much if you want to get some proper sleep. But I could imagine that the effect lasts longer if you get an injection.
Hm, I can't see why the effect should last longer when Ketamine is injected. Bioavailability will be higher for sure but I don't see how the effects could last significantly longer.